Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2021, 05:34 PM   #7516
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
Also check here under the product version MX (data). MX | The K-Mount Page
Oh...OK! It was a body mod. That explains why no catalog listings.

Steve

01-07-2021, 09:03 PM - 7 Likes   #7517
Pentaxian

When 'NIB' really does mean 'NIB'...

W.Nikkor 35/f2.5 for Nikonos

01-07-2021, 09:21 PM - 9 Likes   #7518
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
X-posted:

Peek a boo! Getting dressed...
[Insert sexy saxophone music here]

Thanks,
01-08-2021, 01:45 AM   #7519
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not that data back. There is a clock data back that has an analog clock that bayonets into the back. It's a watch with a stem that you wind. Also, rather than the clock, the is a silver disk that you can write on in pencil. The "memo" is transfered to the film. The back is usable with a cable that comes around to the flash socket, but Pentax made a dedicated MX body that had pins on the lower back base to trigger the back. There's a thread with pictures here... Found: MX with Data back - PentaxForums.com

Also check here under the product version MX (data). MX | The K-Mount Page

And here's one on eBay for $400 but missing the memo insert
Pentax Data MX Camera | eBay
Thats cool, shit, now I have to hunt for another. And I've totally missed / forgotten about that PF thread on the different data backs.

I do have the watch data back for LX.

Thanks for point it out

---------- Post added 01-08-2021 at 09:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I have a load of LX data backs like that MX one with quite a few memo and clock inserts. I assume those are interchangeable between the MX and LX backs.
Hm.. Dial backs for LX as well?

01-08-2021, 10:02 AM - 5 Likes   #7520
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

Pentax MX vs Olympus OM-1

The battle for the ultimate viewfinder
The battle for the smallest but still full featured
The battle for reliability despite abuse
The battle of the earrings?

I'm biased but at the end of the day, they are both winners and good friends

Thanks,
01-08-2021, 05:05 PM   #7521
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm looking for a mechanical 35mm camera in the compact/mini size. I have a Rollei 35 and a Pentax MX. I'm wondering what else is out there in a small package more like the Rollei 35... Something mechanical with manual aperture and shutter control. I know the SLRs...OM-1, Nikon FM, Pentax MX...but I'm looking for something smaller like the Rollei...could be a rangefinder or 1/2 frame. The Pen F maybe...Voightlander Vitessa...most others are auto exposure and I'm not looking for $700 ones like the Contax T or Leica IIIf...also no Minox 35. Any ideas?

01-08-2021, 06:35 PM   #7522
Veteran Member

I'm looking for a mechanical 35mm camera in the compact/mini size. I have a Rollei 35 and a Pentax MX. I'm wondering what else is out there in a small package more like the Rollei 35... Something mechanical with manual aperture and shutter control. I know the SLRs...OM-1, Nikon FM, Pentax MX...but I'm looking for something smaller like the Rollei...could be a rangefinder or 1/2 frame. The Pen F maybe...Voightlander Vitessa...most others are auto exposure and I'm not looking for $700 ones like the Contax T or Leica IIIf...also no Minox 35. Any ideas?
Zeiss Ikon Contessa.

01-08-2021, 07:04 PM   #7523
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Petri Color 35.

Good lens, hot shoe on top (what?!)
Mechanical but for the meter

Petri Color 35 - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

-Eric

Last edited by TwoUptons; 01-08-2021 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Added a photo
01-08-2021, 07:36 PM   #7524
Pentaxian

You may want to check out Cameraquests Compact RF 35s if you haven't already.

The Pen F are surprisingly not so small really . . .

But of course compared to it's peers it was very small . . .

01-08-2021, 07:45 PM   #7525
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
You may want to check out Cameraquests Compact RF 35s if you haven't already.

The Pen F are surprisingly not so small really . . .

But of course compared to it's peers it was very small . . .
I got one of the Bell and Howell (Canon) half frame cameras with the old phone dial on the front.
I was surprised at how large it was, even with the auto wind...

It's fun, but man, 72 frames takes forever...

The compact full frames are a better choice for me... but I do want to try one of those little Russian half-frames...

-Eric
01-08-2021, 07:57 PM   #7526
Pentaxian

Or how about the Konica Auo-Reflex that you can switch half/full frame when you want . . .

01-08-2021, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #7527
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Or how about the Konica Auo-Reflex that you can switch half/full frame when you want . . .
My Mine Six lets me do 6x6 or 6x4.5 on 120 film, but I have to switch it at the beginning of the roll.

I'll bet that Konica drove the minilab people absolutely up the wall...

-Eric
01-08-2021, 08:49 PM   #7528
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
The compact full frames are a better choice for me... but I do want to try one of those little Russian half-frames...
I used to own a Chaika-II. Nice compact body but graced with one of the most irritating aperture rings that I've ever experienced.

I eventually stopped putting full 36 frame rolls into it for the exact reason you mentioned.

01-08-2021, 10:06 PM   #7529
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

Pentax MX vs Olympus OM-1

The battle for the ultimate viewfinder
The battle for the smallest but still full featured
The battle for reliability despite abuse
The battle of the earrings?

I'm biased but at the end of the day, they are both winners and good friends

Thanks,

You're right it's hard to pick a winner. They are both amongst the nicest mechanical SLR's around...

For me I tend towards the MX for a few subtle but significant (in use) details. It has a film reminder sleeve in the back. It has an advance indicator. It has a shutter lock. You can see the aperture in the VF, and the VF is less cluttered when shooting meterless.

And the big one, I can't accidentally leave the meter on and drain the battery

It would be nice if it had a (proper) MLU, but I so rarely stick it on a tripod it doesn't really matter...

---------- Post added 01-09-21 at 04:10 PM ----------

The Olympus 35RD is excellent, mechanical and tiny, but I'd struggle to recommend it due to the persistent and hard to fix shutter issue (oil migrating to the leaf blades).

The Pen F/FT/FV bodies are lovely, and the lenses are fantastic, but I'd find it hard to pay current prices for such a small negative. Especially when an MX/50/f1.7 isn't much bigger...
01-08-2021, 11:34 PM - 1 Like   #7530
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm looking for a mechanical 35mm camera in the compact/mini size.
The problem is that so many of the "compact" 35mm viewfinder/rangefinder cameras are not that small. The page at cameraquest is as good a reference as any, though maybe with addition of the Ricoh 35G/Sears 45. I have the Olympus XA on my will not sell list, but it is all-electronic.

Steve