Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9422 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #751
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Paddan Quote
My four TLR (Twin Lens Reflex) cameras. Having a couple is a must in every collection. Really not...
That's a nice selection - and a Ferrania too! I agree that everyone should have at least one real TLR once, and many won't be able to resist...

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
We have a Yashica-Mat in common Also, you're one of the very few other people I know with a Medalist.

Medalist solidarity, brother. 6x9 Indestructable Tank Camera!
Actually the Yashica Mat is now my daughter's. But yeah, the Medalist is something else... I went to a camera show the other weekend and somebody had like 8 or 9 of them for sale, some were even 120 modified. But the impractical camera I really lusted after was a working Simmon Omega (the orginal, US made one).... I ended up getting a Canon 7

09-27-2013, 02:20 AM   #752

Photos: Albums
Two Wirgin cameras. To the left Edinex early model. I do not know if it has a model designation. And to the right Edinex I. The flash is Duo Luse, made in Germany as both the cameras.
Attached Images

09-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #753
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
A couple of TLRs -- first the Ricoh Diacord, a low cost design with a sharp contrasty lens

Some TLRs, folders and SLRs

2x seth thomas electric mirror clocks
Kodak Monitor Six 20 Special
Kodak Retina I type 148
Kodak Medalist
Yashica Mat 124G
Kiev 4 / Jupiter 12 / Canon finder
Yashica 44
Ricoh Diacord
Miranda D / Spiratone 135 / 2.8
Minolta Autocord
Lovely! Someday I hope to find a Richomatic 225. First camera I ever used.
09-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #754
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
A thrift store Honeywell Pentax 3/21 Exposure Meter from the 1960's
It was not working and needs 2 obsolete batteries so I designed and built a small circuit board to allow it to run with one smoke alarm battery.

Calibrated against the Pentax K-01 and the Pentax MX
It is very nice to use. I am trying Ektar for first time tomorrow at outdoor birthday so it will get some use.
Did you rebuilde the photo sensors? Or rather repair that part? I just bought one my self, but it broken.

10-01-2013, 01:27 PM - 2 Likes   #755

My several pences... err, cameras

My first camera ever was Smena-8M, identic to the pictured one (my original is still alive, but not handy), gifted by my grandad to my 13th birthday in 1981. Millions in the USSR were starting photography with this simple yet capable and rugged tool, that was probably its most important virtue - my survived last 4 forms of highschool (!) plus countless trips, hikes, dacha seasons etc. Still working (presumed), but untouched since summer 1985.

(to be continued)
Attached Images

10-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #756

My several pences... err, cameras - Part 2

Reason Smena was abandoned was another Soviet classic - my happiest SLR Zenit-E with Helios-44-2 2/58, both built in 1982. Happiest because it was gifted by my father in July 1985 after I successfully graduated from highschool and entered university - trench overjumped, mission accomplished, uncertainty ended, SLR photography started.

Still operates as a clockwork, but not used for everyday photography for safety's sake: would be silly to damage so sweet a memory of youth. Shown with kit Helios-44-2 2/58 and further below with MC Mir-20M 3.5/20 mounted and Helios-44-2 2/58 and MC Jupiter-37AM 3.5/135 on standby.

For readers of next thread about camera costs in various years: Smena-8M in 1981 cost SUR 15.00 (around USD 20-25 at slightly varying official rate).

Zenit-E built by KMZ (in suburbs of Moscow) with Helios-44-2 was at SUR 100.00 (divide by 0.65 to get USD figures), made by BelOMO in Belorussian SSR like mine - at SUR 90.00, if fitted with Industar 2.8/50 - at USD 75.00, body alone were not sold in regular shops.

For those who forgot: SUR - Soviet Union Rouble
Attached Images

10-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #757

My several pences... err, cameras - Part 3

After 3rd year of university, in summer 1988, I was working as an interpreter of French with kids in international pioneer's camp Artek in Crimea on Black sea. Pay was enough to pay SUR 75.00 for a new camera - LOMO-Compact Auto with Minitar 2.8/32 mm, that same model that gave birth to Lomography trend. It was fitting into any pocket, thus traveled more than any of my cameras and got that upper corner broken in some lane of Hyde Park in November 1989. Surprisingly it cost the same 75.00 but in GBP there and then.

Attached Images

10-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #758

My several pences... err, cameras - Part 4

My second SLR, KMZ Zenit-Auto, will be 20 in a fortnight and was bought for approx. USD 60 - rouble was sort of shaky those days, to the extent that nobody's able to recall rouble prices simply because noone had time to memorize 'em then.

Fitted with automatic Helios-44K-4 2/58 with K-mount, it is full automatic (Av) and has no manual gears except +/- 2EV correction. Heavily used as my primary tool until purchase of Pentax Optio SVi in 2005, it was always delivering exclusively excellent shots in slides, negative or BW, even using Kodak films, but tending to prefer AGFAchrome and Fujicolor. Most outstanding feature - free timing of exposures without any set limit, it can remain open for minutes - in Av! (P30t is limited to 1 sec whatever happens).

Pictured between current mainstay - EOS 600D - and already familiar Zenit-E.
10-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #759

My several pences... err, cameras - Part 4 - Missing photo

Didn't attach for some unknown reason. Still it's worth to be here:
Attached Images

10-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #760

My several pences... err, cameras - Part 5

Did you ever snap photos with Zenit-E? Did you? Still remember those overlapping solid sounds of mirror and curtains, long crankling run of advance lever? Still feel how comfortably and ergonomically it sits in your palms? Then you understand why I bought [for peanuts not worth to mention] a 1984-made Zenit-ET to use instead safe-kept E. Another reason was that E was never equipped with strap lugs, and you could only carry it by a narrow leather belt fixed to shell and never use a house ZENIT strap that I always wanted.

Moreover, using Helios-44 of 58 mm for years I realized that it was too narrow for me, almost a telephoto. I was looking for a 35mm lens as standard and after lots of seeking found a MC Mir-24M - probably the best 35er ever built by mankind, radioactive stuff aside [and farther away, please].

Shutter works as a charm, ambient meter precisely follows Sunny 16 and therefore is trustworthy as one can be, - what else to wish? A wider viewfinder closer to real frame size? Maybe, but we'll come to that later.
Attached Images

10-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #761

My several pences... err, cameras - Part 6

Omitting a number of current digitals, let's get to a legend - Honeywell / Pentax Spotmatic F. Presumably manufactured in 1974, got to me in [outside] mint condition in April this year and matched another case of luck - MC Soligor C/D 3.5-4.5 28-105 mm never leaving a box or mounting a camera since it's left the factory.

Works fine with current LR9 batteries, however meter readings are sometimes too inconsistent with Sunny 16 that prevails in such cases. Shutter is also sometimes suspected to lag about a stop or at least a half. Anyway, when shooting slowly with thinking, this legendary camera with no less legendary glass delivers outstanding pictures.
Attached Images

10-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #762

My several pences... err, cameras - Part 7

No one ever (OK, at least statistically) said a single bad word of Pentax P30t or the whole 3/30 series - except maybe for DX-only ISO entry. Since September this year I also know that it's light, solidly built, has a good grip and excellent meter topped with 2 auto + 1 manual modes, flash synchro with any unit at 1/100 and a really GREAT bright and large viewfinder with excellent focusing abilities, operating on LR44 batts available at every corner. I also know that Tokina SZ-X 3.5-4.8 28-105 means very high resolution, negligible chromatic aberrations, precise color rendition, small size and low weight at the only cost of rather noticeable distortions at focusing distance's extremities, that are easily corrected in Lightroom - and who's not correcting scanned films in LR nowadays?
Attached Images

10-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #763
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paddan Quote
My four TLR (Twin Lens Reflex) cameras. Having a couple is a must in every collection. Really not...
Another Yashica 44!

Nesster has one and I have one and now yours makes three PF users with a baby TLR.

Steve

(...now if I could only figure out a way to scan...am thinking of finding some super-slide mounts...)
10-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #764
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AndreyDF Quote
My first camera ever was Smena-8M, ... (to be continued)
Thanks for your posts ... love all the Russian gear ... Salut, J
10-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #765
Pentaxian

For LX owners ...

Saw this on eVILbay, and thought that someone might be interested ... J

Pentax LX Sucher Basis FB 1 Eyepiece FD 2 Finder Base FB 1 Asahi | eBay