Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9447 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2022, 10:35 AM   #8251
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eyewanders Quote
I've stared at a photo taken of my grandfather on Christmas evening in 1974 holding a camera that was just slightly too hidden to quite make out precisely what it was.
I'm still not sure what it was but a couple folks here thought it could be a Topcon. I think they're correct, but ever since I picked up an IC-1 and loved it more than many thought I should, I've been wanting one from their "real" camera line. It's a thing of beauty to be sure.

Beautiful!

04-28-2022, 11:57 AM - 5 Likes   #8252
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My latest collection of SLR Film cameras including my first camera, the Pentax Program Plus

04-28-2022, 06:45 PM   #8253
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
collection of SLR Film cameras
Reminds me of my days selling cameras in the late 70s early 80s
Now you need a Minolta, a Konica, and maybe a Fuji to round it out.
Is the Nikon an FM? I thought I remembered the name on the front of those,
And the AE-1, I don't remember the little green text under the name, a special version of some kind?
Those all look to be in great shape, for 40+ year old cameras, nice grouping
04-28-2022, 07:00 PM   #8254
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
And the AE-1, I don't remember the little green text under the name, a special version of some kind?
Thats an FM...I think Nikon didn't put the FM in front until the FM2. The 2nd Canon is the AE-1 Program.

04-28-2022, 07:11 PM - 4 Likes   #8255
Pentaxian

The Nikon is indeed the FM model. I've had it CLA'd and it works perfectly. Probably my favorite one of the bunch. Funny you should ask if I should add more. I just purchased a Minolta X-370 for $50 bucks that came with the 50mm 1.7 lens and a JCPenney 135mm F2.8 long lens. It also came with a flash and other accessories. I've yet to test it. The only thing wrong I can see is that the film counter does not work but it was a common failure on this particular model. I doubt I'll fix it. The only thing I may do is take the top off to clean some of the dust in the viewfinder which drives me nuts Sort of why I like mirrorless cameras so well like my Fuji X-H1. No dust in viewfinder!

The Canon is an AE-1 Program. It's the Program you see in green letters below the name. This camera is extremely popular with college students just getting into film. I purchased this one off of Facebook Marketplace for $75 and fixed the shutter "squeak" myself. I really prefer the Canon A-1 over the AE-1 but not sure if I want to sell it or not.

---------- Post added 04-28-22 at 09:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
Thats an FM...I think Nikon didn't put the FM in front until the FM2. The 2nd Canon is the AE-1 Program.
You win!

---------- Post added 04-28-22 at 09:14 PM ----------

Here's a better photo of the Canon AE-1 Program...

04-28-2022, 07:20 PM - 2 Likes   #8256
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Nikon is indeed the FM model. I've had it CLA'd and it works perfectly. Probably my favorite one of the bunch. Funny you should ask if I should add more. I just purchased a Minolta X-370 for $50 bucks that came with the 50mm 1.7 lens and a JCPenney 135mm F2.8 long lens. It also came with a flash and other accessories. I've yet to test it. The only thing wrong I can see is that the film counter does not work but it was a common failure on this particular model. I doubt I'll fix it. The only thing I may do is take the top off to clean some of the dust in the viewfinder which drives me nuts Sort of why I like mirrorless cameras so well like my Fuji X-H1. No dust in viewfinder!

The Canon is an AE-1 Program. It's the Program you see in green letters below the name. This camera is extremely popular with college students just getting into film. I purchased this one off of Facebook Marketplace for $75 and fixed the shutter "squeak" myself. I really prefer the Canon A-1 over the AE-1 but not sure if I want to sell it or not.

---------- Post added 04-28-22 at 09:13 PM ----------

You win!

---------- Post added 04-28-22 at 09:14 PM ----------

Here's a better photo of the Canon AE-1 Program...

Back in the day when I was getting started, I wanted the Canon A-1 but at the time it was out of my price range...I ended up with the Pentax MX. A couple of years later I got the Super Program. I used to do weddings with those 2 35's plus a medium format for posed shots...initially a Yashicamat 124g, then later a Hasselblad 500c.

04-28-2022, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #8257
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

AND

Alpa

Miranda
Exacta
Topcon
Cosina
Leicaflex (!) (or an M3 with a Visoflex housing??)

Contarex
Contax

maybe even a Contaflex. Limited by its highly reliable leaf shutter, but the 2.8 Tessar, closed one or two stops, had excellent color and contrast = fine IQ. It probably delivered millions of family and vacation photos.

BTW: I am well aware that the list of film SLR's is still incomplete.

04-28-2022, 07:47 PM   #8258
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
Back in the day when I was getting started, I wanted the Canon A-1 but at the time it was out of my price range...I ended up with the Pentax MX. A couple of years later I got the Super Program. I used to do weddings with those 2 35's plus a medium format for posed shots...initially a Yashicamat 124g, then later a Hasselblad 500c.
Do you remember what the Canon A-1 was going for at the time? I paid $125 for it with no lens.
04-29-2022, 03:43 AM   #8259
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you remember what the Canon A-1 was going for at the time? I paid $125 for it with no lens.
I think it was close to $400 with the 50/1.8 lens back in 1980.

04-29-2022, 04:30 AM - 2 Likes   #8260
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Here's a 1982 Popular Photography Adorama magazine ad that list your cameras except the Pentax and your newly acquired Minolta which must not have been available until after this was printed.

04-29-2022, 05:48 AM   #8261
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Here's a 1982 Popular Photography Adorama magazine ad that list your cameras except the Pentax and your newly acquired Minolta which must not have been available until after this was printed.

I find the most interesting listings on that page are enlarging lenses and film.

---------- Post added 04-29-22 at 09:30 AM ----------

This is the most compete list of film SLR camera brands I could assemble, excepting the big three (Nikon, Canon, Pentax)

Chinon
Contax
Contaflex
Edixa
Exacta
Exa
Konica
Miranda
Leica/Leitz
Rollei
Pentacon/Practica
Practina
Alpa
Topcon
Vivitar
Yashica
Kodak (!)
Mamiya
Zenit
Cosina
Olympus (!)

Periflex was sort-of half an SLR

Last edited by WPRESTO; 04-29-2022 at 06:32 AM.
04-29-2022, 06:39 AM   #8262
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I find the most interesting listings on that page are enlarging lenses and film.

---------- Post added 04-29-22 at 09:30 AM ----------

This is the most compete list of film SLR camera brands I could assemble, excepting the big three (Nikon, Canon, Pentax)

Chinon
Contax
Contaflex
Edixa
Exacta
Exa
Konica
Miranda
Leica/Leitz
Rollei
Pentacon/Practica
Practina
Alpa
Topcon
Vivitar
Yashica
Kodak (!)
Mamiya
Zenit
Cosina
Olympus (!)

Periflex was sort-of half an SLR
Which Praktinas do you have?
04-29-2022, 07:57 AM   #8263
Pentaxian

That’s really cool. Thanks for sharing.
04-29-2022, 10:32 AM   #8264
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Which Praktinas do you have?
Never owned a Practina.. At the time I was contemplating purchasing my first SLR, Practina FX offered a mind-boggling list of lenses and accessories. In the event, thank goodness, I went for an Asahi Pentax S. I've owned a couple Canon & Nikon bodies, both film & digital, also two Ricoh XRM's, but none of the others.A local pro who was using Canon & Hasselblad when I met him, together with another photographer in the club, started with Alpa equipment. Both complained about viewfinder cut-off when using longer lenses or working in macro, caused by the too-short mirror in Alpa bodies.
04-29-2022, 11:20 AM   #8265
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Never owned a Practina.. At the time I was contemplating purchasing my first SLR, Practina FX offered a mind-boggling list of lenses and accessories. In the event, thank goodness, I went for an Asahi Pentax S. I've owned a couple Canon & Nikon bodies, both film & digital, also two Ricoh XRM's, but none of the others.A local pro who was using Canon & Hasselblad when I met him, together with another photographer in the club, started with Alpa equipment. Both complained about viewfinder cut-off when using longer lenses or working in macro, caused by the too-short mirror in Alpa bodies.
And here I thought the list you provided were the camera brands you owned . . .