Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9444 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2022, 07:42 AM   #8281
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
A fellow grad student purchased a Topcon Super D because they included a strip of film that was stated as taken with that particular camera to test and record the actual shutter speeds (when the camera is set to 1/60 the actual speed is 1/68, etc., a chart was provided covering all shutter speeds) I did not ask him at the time, but my thought was "So what use is that to you? Do you think the aperture settings are accurate to 1/5 EV? Do you think you could fiddle a click-stop aperture ring to within 1/5EV? And do you think you could tell the difference, on B&W film, between an negative exposed at exactly 1/60 second @ exactly f8 versus one taken at 1/72 second at f8? But he was happy with his Topcon, and I was happy with my Heiland Pentax (later stolen).
Kids think/say/do/buy the darndest things.

Hahaha.

I got this one cuz I'd never had one and it was purdy. Always curious about that 58mm.

05-11-2022, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #8282
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eyewanders Quote
Kids think/say/do/buy the darndest things.

Hahaha.

I got this one cuz I'd never had one and it was purdy. Always curious about that 58mm.

Don't get me wrong. I think that the Topcon was a very good SLR, definitely competitive, although my flawed memory thinks it never had the range of lenses offered by other brands. As I recall it's bayonet mount was the same as an Exacta, which means lenses designed for Exacta could be mounted, although those with the odd external diaphragm control thing would be mounted upside down. Some lenses for Exacta were OK, but many did not have IQ up to modern standards.
05-11-2022, 01:41 PM   #8283
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Don't get me wrong. I think that the Topcon was a very good SLR, definitely competitive, although my flawed memory thinks it never had the range of lenses offered by other brands. As I recall it's bayonet mount was the same as an Exacta, which means lenses designed for Exacta could be mounted, although those with the odd external diaphragm control thing would be mounted upside down. Some lenses for Exacta were OK, but many did not have IQ up to modern standards.
My previous experience is with the IC line (which is nearly unheard of now and wasn't around very long comparatively) and recently the three RE lenses I picked up with this body.... and thus far I have to admit I'm rather surprised. The 58 is as good (or perhaps *nearly* as good if I'm honest) as so many have purported.... but it was the 35/2.8 and 135/3.5 that truly astounded me. They are both utterly fantastic.

I've too have been in the Asahi camp for a very long time (though I began in the Nikkor camp) but must admit to being a far more rabid Hexanon fan in the past 5 years.... Another manufacturer with a far more limited range of glass, but the truth is they are all exceptional and they changed very little over time. I do think it's interesting that both Konica and Topcon were the grandfather's of the Japanese photographic market and both had truly exacting standards for what they produced, which arguably led to their financial troubles ongoing and eventual fall from the market. It's all neither here nor there to me as I've become increasingly brand agnostic as years go by, but my favorite pieces are (still) certainly Pentax and Takumar joined by Konica in an enormous (perhaps larger way). I'm still quite unfamiliar with Topcor but my exposure over the past couple years has been more than favorable.
05-11-2022, 02:22 PM   #8284
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My previous experience is with the IC line (which is nearly unheard of now and wasn't around very long comparatively) and recently the three RE lenses I picked up with this body.... and thus far I have to admit I'm rather surprised. The 58 is as good (or perhaps *nearly* as good if I'm honest) as so many have purported.... but it was the 35/2.8 and 135/3.5 that truly astounded me. They are both utterly fantastic.

I've too have been in the Asahi camp for a very long time (though I began in the Nikkor camp) but must admit to being a far more rabid Hexanon fan in the past 5 years.... Another manufacturer with a far more limited range of glass, but the truth is they are all exceptional and they changed very little over time. I do think it's interesting that both Konica and Topcon were the grandfather's of the Japanese photographic market and both had truly exacting standards for what they produced, which arguably led to their financial troubles ongoing and eventual fall from the market. It's all neither here nor there to me as I've become increasingly brand agnostic as years go by, but my favorite pieces are (still) certainly Pentax and Takumar joined by Konica in an enormous (perhaps larger way). I'm still quite unfamiliar with Topcor but my exposure over the past couple years has been more than favorable.
My Konica Pearl has the cheaper f4.5 75mm lens, but it’s remarkably good.

I never really got on with their 35mm stuff, though…

-Eric

05-11-2022, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #8285
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just did a little research and Topcon made or had made by other manufacturers but sold under the Topcon brand lenses from 20mm to 500mm (200mm f4 and f5.6; 300mm f5.6, 500mm f5.6). There are too many WA lenses to list here. Check this website/link

Topcon/Topcor R, F, RE lenses | Camerapedia | Fandom
05-11-2022, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #8286
Forum Member

... but must admit to being a far more rabid Hexanon fan in the past 5 years.... Another manufacturer with a far more limited range of glass, but the truth is they are all exceptional and they changed very little over time. I do think it's interesting that both Konica and Topcon were the grandfather's of the Japanese photographic market and both had truly exacting standards for what they produced,..
I am brand-agnostic for the most part as well, although my preference is Leitz glass, and I prefer the rendering of the '70s glass the best. In addition to a nice set of Hexanon-AR lenses, I also have a set of Leica-R lenses from 28mm to 180mm, most of them Elmarit f/2.8, with a Summicron 90 and Summilux 50mm thrown in for good measure. However, I have a phalanx of other glass as well: Mamiya 645 manual and autofocus; a full range of Pentacon-6 mount from 30mm to 300mm; two sets of Yashinon-DX lenses in both chrome and black in M42; many Takumars over the years; and a full set of large-aperture Nikkors that I assembled and later sold.

I sold Konica Autoreflex T's when they were current and was always really impressed with them. Last year I bought a lot of gear for resale that had an Autoreflex T and a T3 100th Anniversary model and several lenses. I couldn't bring myself to sell them. I've added a number of lenses to the set including the 85mm f/1.8, 100 f/2 and 35 f/2. I've got a Hexanon AR to Leica L mount adapter for my Panny S1. Those original Hexanon lenses are superb.

I have read that after the establishment of the JCII that Hexanon lenses were the original standard by which all the others were judged.
05-11-2022, 10:21 PM   #8287
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
My Konica Pearl has the cheaper f4.5 75mm lens, but it’s remarkably good.

I never really got on with their 35mm stuff, though…

-Eric
I've had my eye on those for a quite some time. Old folders are perhaps my favorites to shoot with these days overall. The Pearl line looks really nice.

05-19-2022, 01:41 PM - 6 Likes   #8288
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

May 16: Pentax K par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
05-24-2022, 07:42 AM - 8 Likes   #8289
Pentaxian

My three amigos, equally beloved: Voigtländer Superb with Heliar, Rolleiflex 2.8C with Schneider Kreuznach, MPP Microflex with Micronar.
And two folders, the Agfa Super Isolette and the DeMaria LaPierre Telka III.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
05-24-2022, 01:08 PM   #8290
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
My three amigos, equally beloved: Voigtländer Superb with Heliar, Rolleiflex 2.8C with Schneider Kreuznach, MPP Microflex with Micronar.
I've been eyeing-up a MPP Microflex for a while as they have a good reputation and lovely lenses. One day I'll go for one.

K.
05-24-2022, 06:26 PM   #8291
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agfa Super Isolette
what are the other finders for the Isolette?
does it shoot multiple formats?
those all look to be in great shape, even the leather,
05-24-2022, 06:50 PM   #8292
Pentaxian

Nice selection of Medium format TLR's.
05-24-2022, 07:24 PM - 7 Likes   #8293
Veteran Member

Finally buttoned this one up today. Gotta be 5 hours in this Camera-Formerly-Known-as-Dead. The light seals on these are pain - they're applied to the door, not the body, and there are many crevices. Loaded up with a test roll now though.

Attached Images

05-25-2022, 12:25 AM   #8294
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
what are the other finders for the Isolette?
does it shoot multiple formats?
those all look to be in great shape, even the leather,
These are Voigtländer Kontur finders, a very clever concept, one eye views through (or better: at) the finder, which is a black box with lines, and the other eye remains open to supplement the real world to what the eyes see.
It is explained here: Voigtlander Kontur Finder | The Obscure Camera Blog

It only works for framing, not for focussing. But I find it immensely helpful.

One is 6x6 (on the Isolette), one 24x36mm for 135 cameras, and one 6x9cm. They are not for the Agfa camera.
I had reckoned that the latter two would be identical (in ratio), but that's not correct. Anyway, my Telka does not have a cold shoe, so I cannot use either on that camera. I once intended to buy a Bessa II but I've got enough cameras as things are.

Yes, all of them are in relatively good shape, except for the mirror/screen of the Superb. It seems no repairperson wants to tackle that unless for an astronomical costs (I've been quoted € 400 basic price, not including unforeseen things that may be encountered...).
I've decided I'm going to try myself, but starting on other cameras first to build up some experience. Long term project.

---------- Post added 05-25-2022 at 07:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I've been eyeing-up a MPP Microflex for a while as they have a good reputation and lovely lenses. One day I'll go for one.

K.
I find it very nice in rendering. The film transport requires some manual: when replacing a film, the camera should not be closed until the new film is loaded. When you accidentally do, you must follow certain steps to avoid mishap. In practice, it works well now that I know.
I replaced the original screen, which made an enormous difference.

Prices have gone up, although that's eBay: it seems sellers are creating higher and higher thresholds artificially for some cameras.
Of course I sold my Contax G1s just before the price tripled...
05-25-2022, 05:24 AM - 5 Likes   #8295
Pentaxian

Finally buttoned this one up today. Gotta be 5 hours in this Camera-Formerly-Known-as-Dead. The light seals on these are pain - they're applied to the door, not the body, and there are many crevices. Loaded up with a test roll now though.

Great looking camera. Reviews on it are excellent. I have the Konica Auto S2 and it takes wonderfully sharp photo's. It's a bit larger however.