Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9445 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2023, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #8791
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I'm biased because I started with a. Exakta, but I found them to be very ergonomic. The trapezoid shape fit the hand nicely. I like the release at the body front. I prefer the left hand for holding the camera with the right hand focusing. As for build, I would agree with your opinion for later models...post 1960. But the Early Kine Exaktas and Varex and Varex VX are solid as can be. I've got 85 year old bodies that still can shoot film.

01-30-2023, 02:37 AM - 9 Likes   #8792
Pentaxian

View cameras I have acquired over the years. A Wista 45 RF, Wisner Tech Field, Cambo Ledgend and a Crown Graphic. I still use them except for the wooden Wisner. The Wista RF took its place.

4x5 Gear
by tuco, on Flickr

Last edited by tuco; 01-30-2023 at 03:15 AM.
01-30-2023, 04:58 AM   #8793
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
View cameras I have acquired over the years. A Wista 45 RF, Wisner Tech Field, Cambo Ledgend and a Crown Graphic. I still use them except for the wooden Wisner. The Wista RF took its place.

4x5 Gear
by tuco, on Flickr
The Crown and also Speed Graphics IMHO were the most successful if not the best 4X5 cameras. I wonder how many press/news images - as well as many iconic B&W images were taken with one or the other -before about 1960*

*Around 1960 is when i would guess that the original Nkon F became THE camera for photojournalism.
01-30-2023, 12:19 PM   #8794

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
My first SLR was the Exakta V with the 58mm f/1.9 Meyer Gorlitz Primoplan (the same lens in the pic I posted) given to me by my uncle. He paid $350 for that camera in 1951. That's about $4000 in 2023 dollars.
Thats about the same as a Leica M3 I think. I remember the VX being beautifully made. I even used the feature where you can spool from one cassette to another, cutting the film with the built in knife at the end of the roll. By the time I bought mine it was 30 years old and there wasn’t a market for battered well used ones. My next camera after that was an Olympus OM1n.

I think I will keep an eye out for a nice condition V or VX to relive the memories of my first SLR.

01-30-2023, 12:36 PM   #8795
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The Crown and also Speed Graphics IMHO were the most successful if not the best 4X5 cameras. I wonder how many press/news images - as well as many iconic B&W images were taken with one or the other -before about 1960*
For sure. After using the leaf shutter Crown Graphic, I'd think a press photographer of the day would want the focal plane shutter of the Speed Graphic. But I dunno. Inherently at 1/500 shutter speed on a leaf shutter lens the center of the image gets a lot more exposure than the edges. The Crown is a lighter version of the two though. I can carry it in a day pack on my bicycle with a limited number of film holders and extra lens pretty easy.

The Crown/Speed Graphic only has front rise and a little front tilt. And the front tilt is a little cumbersome to use and it is not supported for focal lengths roughly wider than 135mm. So if you wanted more movements in your portraits, landscape or closeup shots, this camera is not the best choice.
01-31-2023, 04:30 AM   #8796
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For sure. After using the leaf shutter Crown Graphic, I'd think a press photographer of the day would want the focal plane shutter of the Speed Graphic. But I dunno. Inherently at 1/500 shutter speed on a leaf shutter lens the center of the image gets a lot more exposure than the edges. The Crown is a lighter version of the two though. I can carry it in a day pack on my bicycle with a limited number of film holders and extra lens pretty easy.

The Crown/Speed Graphic only has front rise and a little front tilt. And the front tilt is a little cumbersome to use and it is not supported for focal lengths roughly wider than 135mm. So if you wanted more movements in your portraits, landscape or closeup shots, this camera is not the best choice.
Focal plane shutters that large introduce their own distortion, The lower part of a baseball player running bases might be ahead of his upper body. I think what's more imortant, press photographers commonly used big Kalart flash guns that used bulbs about the size of a 40 watt light bulb*. The synch speed of an FP shutter would have been hopeless.

* I had one of these units and used it for a short time. There was an adapter with a #2 Edison thread at the bottom and a small socket at the top for #6 flash bulbs.
01-31-2023, 12:47 PM - 2 Likes   #8797
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
... press photographers commonly used big Kalart flash guns that used bulbs about the size of a 40 watt light bulb*. The synch speed of an FP shutter would have been hopeless.
I'd like to try some flash bulbs with my Crown Graphic but I need to find a Graflex Flash unit. I've done flash at 1/30th on my Pentax 6x7 that work okay for people standing around in lower light levels where the flash was the key light and not the fill. I found these M-type bulbs at a garage sale but with the x-sync on my leaf shutter lenses I should look for the faster F-type bulbs.

Press 25 Flashbulbs
by tuco, on Flickr

01-31-2023, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #8798
Forum Member

I'd like to try some flash bulbs with my Crown Graphic but I need to find a Graflex Flash unit.
Just put out an ad requesting a Star Wars Light Saber handle... I'm sure someone will be happy to send theirs to you... for $500.
01-31-2023, 09:36 PM - 2 Likes   #8799
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hepcat Quote
Just put out an ad requesting a Star Wars Light Saber handle... I'm sure someone will be happy to send theirs to you... for $500.
You got me looking at the prices of those things, yikes. I'll just use a x-sync flash.
02-01-2023, 12:22 AM - 1 Like   #8800
Pentaxian

You got me looking at the prices of those things, yikes. I'll just use a x-sync flash.
Being a jedi ain't cheap ...
02-01-2023, 01:15 AM - 9 Likes   #8801
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
X posted now with it's viewfinder
PENTAX K-1 • FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax FA* 85mm F1.4 (IF) SE
Hoya HD nano CPL polarising filter
Walimex Pro Flash 2x VC-400

Minolta CLE • TTArtisan M 21mm F1.5 • TTArtisan 21mm ViewFinder

02-01-2023, 02:11 AM - 1 Like   #8802
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yep and there was also a Spotmatic MD. A camera store in Vienna had one for sale a few years back at an exorbitant price.

Phil.
I have the Spotmatic MD It wasn't very expensive. I seem to recall that the store in Vienna had the whole kit for sale in its original case. That is more rare.
02-01-2023, 02:41 AM - 6 Likes   #8803
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two recent acquisitions - Voigtlander Ultron 40mm F2 SL (Original design) and K 85mm f1.8, on the cameras in my collection which best flatter their gorgeousness (IMO).

02-01-2023, 03:00 AM   #8804
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
X posted now with it's viewfinder
PENTAX K-1 • FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax FA* 85mm F1.4 (IF) SE
Hoya HD nano CPL polarising filter
Walimex Pro Flash 2x VC-400

Minolta CLE • TTArtisan M 21mm F1.5 • TTArtisan 21mm ViewFinder
How do you find the VF?
02-01-2023, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #8805
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
Being a jedi ain't cheap ...
That is the real reason they are extinct.