Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9437 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #5056
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Hey, they eventually fixed the viewfinder blackout1 and they even added a TTL prism & auto-aperture lenses.2
2In 1970, once Pentacon took over Ihagee and long after... well, you know the rest.
No true* Exakta body supported automated aperture actuation, but as you know, many lenses were clever enough to rig such onto the shutter release. Some were quite elaborate. I can imagine the discussions at the factory..."But of course we will not add an actuator to the body! What we have works and we don't want to make it hard on the lens makers!"

One would think that I would have learned my lessons in Exakta land, but to be honest, if I came across a nice VX/Varex IIa or IIb VX(Varex) IIa or VX(Varex) IIb with recent CLA at a decent price point with one of the better prism finders, I would probably buy it. The better finders are quite pleasant and offer the benefit of somewhat higher eyepiece diopter such that my old eyes do better than with my SV and Spotmatics.

Steve

* Many regard the VX1000 to be the last true Exakta with most quirks intact.

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-11-2017 at 02:01 PM.
10-10-2017, 02:04 PM   #5057
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
What I keep looking for is one of the third-party focusing screens that were described by some sources as being much brighter than the official Ihagee ones. I'm beginning to think that they're mythical.
The screen and finder on my copy is pretty good, and while the Fresnel field is VERY visible, the ground glass doughnut and split image are quite excellent. I don't know if the screen is original to the finder. Another unexpected plus is that the CZJ Flektogon 35/2.8 mounted has rather impressive close focus abilities...I estimate 1:2.

Steve
10-10-2017, 02:49 PM   #5058
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No true* Exakta body supported automated aperture actuation, but as you know, many lenses were clever enough to rig such onto the shutter release. Some were quite elaborate. I can imagine the discussions at the factory..."But of course we will not add an actuator to the body! What we have works and we don't want to make it hard on the lens makers!"
Speaking of elaborate aperture implementations, ever seen the one for the Voigtlander Zoomar in Exakta mount? It's certainly something.

The screen and finder on my copy is pretty good, and while the Fresnel field is VERY visible, the ground glass doughnut and split image are quite excellent. I don't know if the screen is original to the finder. Another unexpected plus is that the CZJ Flektogon 35/2.8 mounted has rather impressive close focus abilities...I estimate 1:2.
Definitely not the same as my two screens, which are both plain ground glass. Usable with the waist-level finder, but a bit dim with the prism.

It may be one of the poorer finders though. To be honest, I never much looked into the differences between them.
10-11-2017, 03:25 AM - 2 Likes   #5059
Forum Member

My Spotmatic with Super-Tak 50 1.4. This one's always been cased.

Attached Images

10-11-2017, 03:40 AM   #5060
Forum Member

One would think that I would have learned my lessons in Exakta land, but to be honest, if I came across a nice VX/Varex IIa or IIb with recent CLA at a decent price point with one of the better prism finders, I would probably buy it.
..What price point would that be? pm if serious about that..
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7S  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7S  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7S  Photo 
10-11-2017, 01:57 PM   #5061
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vyoufinder Quote
..What price point would that be? pm if serious about that..
Oops! I should have been more careful in my message. I meant Varex IIa/VX IIa

That is a beautiful VX, though.

Steve
10-11-2017, 05:36 PM   #5062

if I came across a nice VX/Varex IIa or IIb VX(Varex) IIa or VX(Varex) IIb with recent CLA at a decent price point with one of the better prism finders, I would probably buy it.
Here's one that isn't very nice, and the current owner probably doesn't know what CLA stands for. But it'll be cheap, I reckon:

Vintage EXAKTA ihagee Dresden Thagee SLR Camera VX II a | eBay

10-16-2017, 05:39 AM - 4 Likes   #5063
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can I join in, I had to sneak this lot down to my shed before higher authority realised exactly how many I have, as all my lenses are on display I took the shot with my Samsung EX1

CD
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
EX1  Photo 
10-16-2017, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #5064
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
Can I join in, I had to sneak this lot down to my shed before higher authority realised exactly how many I have, as all my lenses are on display I took the shot with my Samsung EX1

CD
Did you move them to the shed so that the higher authority would not notice, or so that you would have more space to store more lenses?
10-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #5065
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So she would'nt notice, I can't get any more in, she's told the postman what will happen to him if he brings any more packages.

I have a Pentax S1a with a dodgy shutter and stuck up mirror which I'm contemplating having repaired, if I was in the USA I could send it to Eric but they seem to have acquired some keen types in Revenue lately and I had to pay VAT at 23% on the value and the postage plus a €10 collection fee on the last item I got from outside the EU so I shall have to look elsewhere. That has never happened before and I'm wondering if Revenue are practising in case they have to put a border between us and the UK when they leave the EU. On the other hand it might be less expensive to buy another one on e-bay if I can bribe the postman to smuggle it in.

CD
10-16-2017, 09:51 AM   #5066
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So she would'nt notice, I can't get any more in, she's told the postman what will happen to him if he brings any more packages.
Oh my this is not good!

You might have to setup a postal box in a bordering town and have your "packages" delivered there. Pick them up then the coast is clear!

Phil..
10-16-2017, 10:27 AM   #5067
Veteran Member

I have a Pentax S1a with a dodgy shutter and stuck up mirror which I'm contemplating having repaired, if I was in the USA I could send it to Eric but they seem to have acquired some keen types in Revenue lately and I had to pay VAT at 23% on the value and the postage plus a €10 collection fee on the last item I got from outside the EU so I shall have to look elsewhere. That has never happened before and I'm wondering if Revenue are practising in case they have to put a border between us and the UK when they leave the EU. On the other hand it might be less expensive to buy another one on e-bay if I can bribe the postman to smuggle it in.

CD
Unfortunately this seems to be the case when sending stuff for repair to a private individual, unless you put a value of the item below whichever level they choose to tax. I don't remember having to pay import duties the last time I shipped a camera for repair to a business in the US, but this was an issue when sending a camera to a private guy in Ukraine.
10-16-2017, 11:41 AM   #5068
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did think about repairing my S1a myself so I watched a couple of videos on YouTube and it became pretty clear that I'd trash anything I went at so it will have to be somebody who knows what they are doing, when it became clear how tricky the job could be and the potential for a complete disaster, repair fees seem quite reasonable.

Phil's idea of an alternate address is quite ingenious, I am thinking about doing a deal with one of my daughters but the nearest one that might oblige is a 3.5 hour drive away.

CD
10-17-2017, 04:25 AM   #5069
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Unfortunately this seems to be the case when sending stuff for repair to a private individual, unless you put a value of the item below whichever level they choose to tax. I don't remember having to pay import duties the last time I shipped a camera for repair to a business in the US, but this was an issue when sending a camera to a private guy in Ukraine.
@PenPusher: you may investigate on the use of pro-forma invoices issued by the repair company. I dont know exactly how this works but I suppose your 23% were taxes/customs. I have read somewhere in some german photo forum that if you send your camera to be repaired outside EU (in your case) and the items are returned, pro-forma invioces for the service help to avoid taxes/customs. By the way, legally, since you didnt buy the item. It was just serviced.
10-17-2017, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #5070
Pentaxian

I'm wondering if Revenue are practising in case they have to put a border between us and the UK when they leave the EU
Well, in the UK we used to blame everything on being in the EU. Now we will have to accustom ourselves to blaming everything on not being in the EU.

I think it is more likely a reaction to Ireland being rapped by the EU for waiving corporate taxes to multi-nationals, like this case

Apple ordered to pay up to ?13bn after EU rules Ireland broke state aid laws | Business | The Guardian

Maybe the authorities are now going by the book FTTB.
« Film Stocks | - »