Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2021, 09:23 AM - 12 Likes   #7966
Pentaxian

My 6x7 is back from the camera repair shop. Whew, I got lucky and didn't need new parts. I took the camera off the tripod and set it on the ground. It had a cable release attached. I inadvertently had my foot on the cable release when I went to picked it up. The cable broke off where it mounts. The shutter button was loose after that and the camera didn't always fire when I pressed it.

08-28-2021, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #7967
Pentaxian

What a beauty that 6x7
08-30-2021, 06:41 PM - 3 Likes   #7968
Pentaxian

It was fun while it lasted. I was recently given this Polaroid and it lasted less than two boxes worth of instant film before it died.

08-30-2021, 09:55 PM - 1 Like   #7969
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
It was fun while it lasted. I was recently given this Polaroid and it lasted less than two boxes worth of instant film before it died.

A moment of silence for the valiant fallen...

That reminds me that I have a One Step in the other room that needs a good home.

Steve

08-31-2021, 08:12 AM - 5 Likes   #7970
Pentaxian

Minolta Hi-Matic 9
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
08-31-2021, 12:43 PM - 2 Likes   #7971
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

while I have purchased some Pentax gear recently... including another Super Program and a 35-70/4 Pentax-A (not to mention a K-3iii)... I also added this beauty. I like the EL2 because it added AI lens mount, and has exposure lock and exposure compensation. The Nikkormat EL only has exposure lock.
08-31-2021, 03:53 PM   #7972
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
while I have purchased some Pentax gear recently... including another Super Program and a 35-70/4 Pentax-A (not to mention a K-3iii)... I also added this beauty. I like the EL2 because it added AI lens mount, and has exposure lock and exposure compensation. The Nikkormat EL only has exposure lock.
I have an EL2. It is possibly the most exquisitely built camera I have ever seen. Trouble is there are two things that mean I do not love it. The first is the silly battery and its placement. The second is it just does not fit my hands as well as some of its contemporaries like the Minolta XE1/7, Canon EF or Pentax K2 (which has its own issues!). I can live with the battery thing but not the feel of the camera. If its fit you though, the EL or EL2 are certainly very desirable machines.

08-31-2021, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #7973
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
I have an EL2. It is possibly the most exquisitely built camera I have ever seen. Trouble is there are two things that mean I do not love it. The first is the silly battery and its placement. The second is it just does not fit my hands as well as some of its contemporaries like the Minolta XE1/7, Canon EF or Pentax K2 (which has its own issues!). I can live with the battery thing but not the feel of the camera. If its fit you though, the EL or EL2 are certainly very desirable machines.
I've got a couple K2s and KXs and I like the feel but in the 1/2 case. The case front edges are like fingertip grips for me. The EL and EL2 I like with the winder on, not for the convenience but for the size in my hand. Also I prefer the Nikon with the soft release added. The higher release button is better for my hands. I also prefer exposure lock than exposure compensation, especially dislike the K2s. On the K2dmd at least there's an indicator in the viewfinder.

I actually like the battery in the mirror box... nothing to unscrew, I flip up the mirror lock and flip open the battery door and I can pull the battery with my fingertip. it's allot easier than finding a nickel.

I also dislike the winder lever out for power as I'm left-eyed although the ELs have a motor position on the shutter release that powers on without the winder out.

I really would like an FE2 but I want one in near mint condition so I'm looking at $200+. I have a really nice ELw and a chrome EL2 both with winders so I might sell them and see if I can cover the FE2 price.

09-01-2021, 09:25 AM   #7974
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
A moment of silence for the valiant fallen...
Steve
I'm wondering if it wasn't the battery in the film pack that caused the problem. Because it died with a plastic burning smell after I loaded another pack of film and snapped the first picture. This camera gets its power supply from a battery they put in each film pack. I dunno about the wisdom of that design choice.
09-01-2021, 10:35 AM   #7975
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
I really would like an FE2 but I want one in near mint condition so I'm looking at $200+. I have a really nice ELw and a chrome EL2 both with winders so I might sell them and see if I can cover the FE2 price.
I thought about a FE2, over the years, but on reflection I know I would really rather have the FM3a! Not a camera I can financially justify. Personally though, of all the "compact" F models my favourite is the FA. It does not look as classy, but I prefer the grip. It also has a nicer motordrive than the agricultural MD12. Not that I like using such things anymore with the price of film as it is.
09-01-2021, 01:49 PM   #7976
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I thought about a FE2, over the years, but on reflection I know I would really rather have the FM3a! Not a camera I can financially justify. Personally though, of all the "compact" F models my favourite is the FA. It does not look as classy, but I prefer the grip. It also has a nicer motordrive than the agricultural MD12. Not that I like using such things anymore with the price of film as it is.
I've always liked the FA, and it has a neat place in Nikon history, even if it was never popular...
And really, any of the FMs or FEs are good machines.

But honestly, I think my next Nikon needs to be another FG... for what I do with film, that would be plenty... and it's the closest Nikon I've come across to having ergonomics as good as contemporary Pentaxes...

I mean, I have plenty of fancy Pentaxes for the "real" work

-Eric
09-01-2021, 02:43 PM   #7977
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I've always liked the FA, and it has a neat place in Nikon history, even if it was never popular...

But honestly, I think my next Nikon needs to be another FG... for what I do with film, that would be plenty... and it's the closest Nikon I've come across to having ergonomics as good as contemporary Pentaxes...

-Eric
Yeah, the FG's are pretty nice, though the meter can be hard to read, but mine broke down after a couple of rolls (I was on holiday at the time too and that was doubly annoying) and it was not economical to fix it. A dealer I know won't stock them as he considers them very unreliable and he prefers to stock the older less well specced EM for its greater reliability. Unfortunately (though not for me and my collection!) the price of Nikons has gone up quite a bit since I got mine - roughly double on all of my models. Still I would save up and get one of the more professionally constructed cameras. It should be more reliable than a FG and also be worth fixing if anything does go wrong. You are also unlikely to lose money in the long term with such a purchase. A quality Nikon does not need to usurp your fancy Pentaxes. It could just keep them company.
09-01-2021, 03:06 PM   #7978
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote

-Eric
My FG came bundled with a broken ME Super... well, both were advertised as broken but the FG was resurrect-able by un-jamming it and it's been sweet ever since. Despite having a K1 and three F5's (and an unhealthy amount of ME Supers), the FG has a special place in my heart!
09-01-2021, 03:29 PM   #7979
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RedRuff Quote
... an unhealthy amount of ME Supers
How does one have an unhealthy amount of ME Supers? Surely there can be no such thing!

If one loves a particular model of camera one can never have too many (I have a similar fetish for Fujica ST801s).
09-01-2021, 04:22 PM   #7980
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd love to get a FM3a but I can't justify the expense either. Plus how much would it really add over the FE2...mechanical shutter...not something I care about anymore. I like the aperture preferred AE plus metered manual. My main interest in the FE2 (or FM2) is the shutter. It's not that I don't have one as fast or faster (MZ-3 and PZ-1p) but I just like that shutter on a film non-AF camera. The Nikon FA is also a possibility...everything the FE2 has plus matrix metering and programmed AE.