Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9422 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2022, 06:16 AM   #8476
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I just picked this up on eBay this week. A Voigtlander VITO II folding camera using zone focusing. It was from an estate sale and it was unknown if it was working or not. To my surprise everything seems to work just fine. I have yet to test it with film however. It even came with a nice leather case! All this for $19.99
Let me know if you ever figure out how to get into that lens. I have an early postwar Vito with a grumpy shutter, but I can’t figure out how to get into it…

-Eric

07-23-2022, 06:42 AM - 10 Likes   #8477
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I knew i had a pentax somewhere

Since this is a pentax forum i thought i'd post a picture of my pentax don't mind the other "things" in the shot
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D3  Photo 
07-23-2022, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #8478
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't know about you guys.....but lately I'm finding the only way to purchase a decent vintage "fill in the blank" camera is to buy off of eBay or some other online site. I say this because almost all of the antique stores I've visited in the past few years just don't have many available. And if they do it's the old box brownie stuff or something that's full of gunk and rust and not worthy of sale. Even the Goodwill Stores are selling their "good" stuff online. I think gone are the days of finding treasures at a thrift store unless of course you're really lucky. But waiting for 2 or more years for something like that to pop up is not fun. So eBay it is for me until I can find something else. I have used Home - Japan Vintage Camera site too and that has been good.
07-23-2022, 09:12 AM - 6 Likes   #8479
Pentaxian

I don't know about you guys.....but lately I'm finding the only way to purchase a decent vintage "fill in the blank" camera is to buy off of eBay or some other online site. I say this because almost all of the antique stores I've visited in the past few years just don't have many available. And if they do it's the old box brownie stuff or something that's full of gunk and rust and not worthy of sale. Even the Goodwill Stores are selling their "good" stuff online. I think gone are the days of finding treasures at a thrift store unless of course you're really lucky. But waiting for 2 or more years for something like that to pop up is not fun. So eBay it is for me until I can find something else. I have used Home - Japan Vintage Camera site too and that has been good.
My goto has always been local first - like craigslist, KEH and occassional auction. I think local CL - depending where you live, can offer the best deals and you can check it out first. KEH if you want online with guarantees and auction only if the price/risk is right.

One of my best finds was from a local CL listed as "Bag of Pentax" for so cheap it actually came in plastic grocery bag . . .

When I saw that it was double bagged I just handed him the money - cheap, with no inspection. By weight alone I figure I was already ahead of the game . . .

As it turns out way ahead . . .

07-23-2022, 09:40 AM   #8480

I have had some good luck at Flea Markets and Boot Sales. I had recently purchased a Yashica electro 35 set at our local Flea Market. Sold as is but turned out to function just fine.
07-23-2022, 09:44 AM   #8481
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

England seems to be ahead (or behind) the USA in that camera treasures seem to turn up regularly at "boot sales," at least judging from some of the posts on this and the "your latest acquisition" thread. At least locally there is nothing quite like a British boot sale. I've never yet spotted photo equipment in the ubiquitous "garage sale" or "yard sale." Those seem to be dominated by bric-a-brac, care-worn clothing and kitschy pictures.
07-23-2022, 10:04 AM - 6 Likes   #8482
Pentaxian

The first SLRs of their brand . . .

07-23-2022, 10:41 AM - 3 Likes   #8483
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thatcameraguy Quote
Since this is a pentax forum i thought i'd post a picture of my pentax don't mind the other "things" in the shot
Well, 110 is almost the same as 120, right?

-Eric

---------- Post added 07-23-22 at 10:49 AM ----------

I don't know about you guys.....but lately I'm finding the only way to purchase a decent vintage "fill in the blank" camera is to buy off of eBay or some other online site. I say this because almost all of the antique stores I've visited in the past few years just don't have many available. And if they do it's the old box brownie stuff or something that's full of gunk and rust and not worthy of sale. Even the Goodwill Stores are selling their "good" stuff online.
It’s been a lot harder in the past few years, but I expect a lot of that is because more people are looking through a diminishing collection of stuff.
Nobody was paying good money for film SLRs ten years ago unless they were something special.

The other issue is the “fill in the blank” part. It was a lot easier to find things I didn’t have when I had fewer things

I’ve watched lots of cool stuff go by on auctions lately just because I already had them.

But I used to do very well at antique markets, especially for old folders and such.

Otherwise, most of my recent acquisitions have been through patience on Goodwill… though I’ve had mixed results…

-Eric
07-23-2022, 10:55 AM - 2 Likes   #8484
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got a photo store 1/2 block from where I live with a ton of quality used camera gear, including Pentax. Very dangerous when I go inside....

As a bonus all the used gear has a warranty, so if something goes wrong you can return it.

Prices are very good as well and you can make offers.

Phil.
07-23-2022, 10:58 AM - 2 Likes   #8485
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
The other issue is the “fill in the blank” part. It was a lot easier to find things I didn’t have when I had fewer things

-Eric
Nailed it!

---------- Post added 07-23-22 at 01:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I've got a photo store 1/2 block from where I live with a ton of quality used camera gear, including Pentax. Very dangerous when I go inside....

As a bonus all the used gear has a warranty, so if something goes wrong you can return it.

Prices are very good as well and you can make offers.

Phil.
Looking back - when I lived in Atlanta, I'm glad KEH didn't have a sales counter . . .
07-23-2022, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #8486
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This seems to be a worldwide phenomenon. Where as i was able to find the occasional spotmatic, sv, canon AE1 and such at our local sharity and thrift stores a few years ago nothing there anymore not even a simple compact. When travelling around the world i was unable to find anything of significance in Argentina, New Zeeland,Vietnam, India, Iceland Greece,.... the list goes on. Only in Singapore were a lot of second hand camera stores of wich some had reasonable prices. On the other hand a lot of gear is turning up on local on line second hand markets, sometimes a good bargain can be had, but at the same time a lot of stuff is way overpriced and stays advertised for months untill the seller just gives up. Lately i did some good bargains on Ebay, catawiki and our local 2hands.be .
Here's an example shot of what i've found in Varanasi India: ( it has to be said that i was unable to get to the "alledged" camera stores in Delhi because of road blocks due to muslim riots)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D7100  Photo 

Last edited by thatcameraguy; 07-23-2022 at 12:08 PM.
07-23-2022, 12:10 PM - 6 Likes   #8487
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thatcameraguy Quote
but at the same time a lot of stuff is way overpriced and stays advertised for months untill the seller just gives up
I've noticed that frequently on eBay. I think many just want to get on the bandwagon of yea my SLR is worth a lot of money so I'll start at $500. LOL. I spoke with one seller online who purchased an Olympus OM2n for $400 and was trying to sell it for $250. They are going for about $125. He'll probably just pull it off the market and sit on it for another year and try again.

---------- Post added 07-23-22 at 02:14 PM ----------

After looking over my recent rangefinder photo albums I've noticed that one camera seems to stand out for sharpness, clarity and overall great photo's. It's my 1960 Soviet Kiev 4 with Jupiter 8M F2.0 lens. I just thought I'd share that. I'm not sure if others have had the same experience or not. I was able to purchase this camera from a seller in Kiev right before the war broke out for $90 bucks. I was lucky to get it.

I should also mention it's my brothers fault for me buying the Kiev 4 rangefinder camera. He gave me the 135mm F4 Jupiter 11 lens but I had no camera to use with it. He owes me $90 bucks

I also have this Jupiter 11 lens that my brother gave me thatI haven't shot with it yet but hope to in the near future.

Last edited by Driline; 07-23-2022 at 12:19 PM.
07-23-2022, 12:58 PM - 3 Likes   #8488
Pentaxian

I've noticed that frequently on eBay. I think many just want to get on the bandwagon of yea my SLR is worth a lot of money so I'll start at $500. LOL. I spoke with one seller online who purchased an Olympus OM2n for $400 and was trying to sell it for $250. They are going for about $125. He'll probably just pull it off the market and sit on it for another year and try again.
Saw a local CL post for an OM-2 from original owner with manuals that looks in great shape but is stated to have an unknown problem - super cheap.

Vintage Olympus OM-2n 35mm SLR film camera OM2n 1970s 1970's 70's - $70 (campbell)

Of course depending on the problem this could be a steal.

I bought a Olympus FT that was jammed - won't advance/fire. A trip to Olympus OM service sorted all the ills and he even threw in a diode to accept current batteries. Given the total price of acquisition and repair/CLA it did turn out to be a very good buy.

07-23-2022, 02:43 PM - 3 Likes   #8489

Here's a desk-top shot of my Ricoh XR6. Photo taken with my little Kodak Z885 8.1 meg PS.

Here's a pic from this rig with rik 50mm lens. Film was expired Fujifilm 400

Last edited by spiralcity; 07-24-2022 at 04:58 AM.
07-23-2022, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #8490
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
The first SLRs of their brand . . .

When the original Nikon F and Canonflex came out, after I had purchased an Asahi Pentax S just like the one at the far left (I cannot make out if that one has the f2.2 preset Takumar) my one thought was that Canon made a big mistake putting the rapid wind lever on the bottom. I expected their sales would lag behind Nikon. Many thought Canon had been inspired by the accessory base-plate winder made by Leica, but the Canon mechanism was not as ergonomic and the Leica design was never especially popular compared to the wind lever on the upper right near the shutter release when the N3 was introduced. Canon did not stay with that odd and awkward winder position for long.