Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9422 Likes Search this Thread
08-15-2022, 05:07 PM - 7 Likes   #8551
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
A new MP from the mid-2000s is a very different beast to the original MP of the 50s, at least in terms of rarity, collectibility and, most notably, value.

The original MP is a truly special bit of gear.
Those people have no idea what special is! What is special is my Luftwaffe Leica . . .

It has been authenticated to have belonged to the Red Baron himself. Taken off his person on his last mission. May even have some DNA on it!

Well maybe not but it sure attracts attention . . .

08-15-2022, 11:56 PM - 2 Likes   #8552
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
It has been authenticated to have belonged to the Red Baron himself. Taken off his person on his last mission. May even have some DNA on it!
The Red Baron - Manfred von Richthofen - was killed in action in 1918. The swastika (on the camera top) was 'introduced' by the nazis in the 1930's. Are you sure you haven't been scammed?
08-16-2022, 01:00 AM - 2 Likes   #8553
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Like cameraquest.com said : "It's been said that several thousand were made for the Luftwaffe, but about 10,000 are for sale!"...
08-16-2022, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #8554
Pentaxian

Those people have no idea what special is! What is special is my Luftwaffe Leica . . .

I mean, obviously nothing compares to the rarity of a gold Luftwaffe Leica on eBay, but an original
MP comes a close second.

08-16-2022, 04:54 AM - 2 Likes   #8555
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
The Red Baron - Manfred von Richthofen - was killed in action in 1918. The swastika (on the camera top) was 'introduced' by the nazis in the 1930's. Are you sure you haven't been scammed?
Curse you Red Baron!

---------- Post added 08-16-22 at 07:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Like cameraquest.com said : "It's been said that several thousand were made for the Luftwaffe, but about 10,000 are for sale!"...
Yeah, according to Stephen, the Russians made a cottage industry of it!
BTW, that site is just great but not if you're suffering from GAS . . .

---------- Post added 08-16-22 at 07:06 AM ----------

I mean, obviously nothing compares to the rarity of a gold Luftwaffe Leica on eBay, but an original
MP comes a close second.
I had a chance to pickup a sealed in the box anniversary edition Leica RF and contemplated ways I could take a peek in it without breaking the seal but someone beat me to it . . .
08-16-2022, 06:54 AM - 2 Likes   #8556
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
Oh it's for real. The Chinese price tag still hanging on it says so
08-16-2022, 02:05 PM   #8557
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There was a brass "Leica" on Goodwill last week... the auction was pulled or I would link to it...
It wasn't marked Luftwaffe, though

If it had been cheap enough, I would have thrown a bid at it... I'm curious what it really was... and what the lens was actually like...

-Eric

Last edited by TwoUptons; 08-16-2022 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Fixed weird double post
08-16-2022, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #8558
Forum Member

MP comes a close second.
If you want a genuine gold accented Luftwaffen Leica there's only 43 of them available tonight... one even in an electric green, several in combinations of white paint, and a number of them with a wood wrap rather than leather material. They're positively rare!
08-17-2022, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #8559
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lol whatever its provenance its a beautiful thing. The nearest I have got to a leica is my Fed3a and a Leica iii that belongs to the society.
08-17-2022, 01:44 PM - 2 Likes   #8560
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Lol whatever its provenance its a beautiful thing. The nearest I have got to a leica is my Fed3a and a Leica iii that belongs to the society.
I think that Fed 3 may be closer to that Luftwaffe Leica than you think

-Eric
08-17-2022, 04:47 PM   #8561
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
What's funny is that even though a rangefinder got me on the path to classic cameras I gravitated more to SLRs. I was so impressed with the condition and build of the Minolta Hi-Matic 9, that it made me wonder what else was out there.

---------- Post added 08-17-22 at 06:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I think that Fed 3 may be closer to that Luftwaffe Leica than you think

-Eric
Good thing that most people who see it have no idea what you're talking about . . .
08-17-2022, 06:44 PM   #8562
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Getting back to images made with MFT cameras, cheating frogs. Pany GX8
Getting back to images made with digital micro four thirds Panasonic GX8?
08-18-2022, 02:57 AM   #8563
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Getting back to images made with digital micro four thirds Panasonic GX8?
Sorry! Just came off of the MFT thread. I'll delete it.
08-18-2022, 03:55 PM - 6 Likes   #8564
Pentaxian

I just added this little beauty to the last of my SLR collection (which now totals 6). It's the Olympus OM-2n. The lens was also purchased separately on eBay. The 50mm f1.8. The camera works great and looks good. I will need to replace the light seals but that's a given. I'll need to run some film through it to confirm everything is working as it should. Cost for the camera body was $80 while the lens was $25.

08-19-2022, 03:30 AM   #8565
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I just added this little beauty to the last of my SLR collection (which now totals 6). It's the Olympus OM-2n. The lens was also purchased separately on eBay. The 50mm f1.8. The camera works great and looks good. I will need to replace the light seals but that's a given. I'll need to run some film through it to confirm everything is working as it should. Cost for the camera body was $80 while the lens was $25.

Wow, you got a great deal. I've never used an Olympus SLR but most of what I've read about them (and the OM lenses) is positive.