Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CDKrenzer Quote
David,

We are. The team is headed to WPPI in Las Vegas next week where, as part of the booth, we'll hand out samples of film. We're also working with some really great film groups, like Film Photography Project, Phoblographer, FRAMED and Film's Not Dead in the UK.

Colleen

Wish I was there to get some more free samples! Have fun!

And thank you for the clarification!

03-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #32

Hi there,

There's no truth to that rumor. Traditional films continue to be an important part of the our product portfolio. We have worked hard to create sustainable models for the traditional portfolios, which will enable us to meet marketplace demands well into the future. If you're looking for places to purchase and/or process Kodak film, our updated our Kodak Film App for the iPhone (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/koda...568463694?mt=8) should be available by week's end. This Friday, we're also kicking off our weekly blog featuring photographers who use our films and why they love them (1000 Words Blog | A Thousand Words is a place for stories from the people of Kodak. We love what we do, and we want to share our stories about imaging and its power to influence our world.)

Colleen Krenzer
PR for Kodak's Professional Film Group
Hi Colleen,

Great to hear that Kodak is still committed to producing film.

On a side note, if you ever want to "share" not just stories about imaging, but the films themselves, you can send them me.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by jakeblues; 03-13-2013 at 03:53 PM.
03-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #33
Pentaxian

David,

We are. The team is headed to WPPI in Las Vegas next week where, as part of the booth, we'll hand out samples of film. We're also working with some really great film groups, like Film Photography Project, Phoblographer, FRAMED and Film's Not Dead in the UK.

Colleen
BTW, if it has not been obvious to Kodak, there is a need for digitizing the fine film.
03-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's also a need for digitizing fine film cameras.

03-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asaru Quote
There's also a need for digitizing fine film cameras.
And fine film camera owners...
03-09-2013, 01:34 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

What this thread really demonstrates is that film manufacturers, particularly Kodak given their recent troubles, need to do a lot more to show that they are still alive, working well and planning to be around well into the future.
03-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
What this thread really demonstrates is that film manufacturers, particularly Kodak given their recent troubles, need to do a lot more to show that they are still alive, working well and planning to be around well into the future.
All it takes is one rumor post on the Internet and speculation becomes fact. Kodak film products have continued to be widely available and well-supported. In addition, Kodak has been very vocal in the press about the viability and continued support of its film product lines.

Sooo...how to combat this sort of rumor? I guess someone in marketing can monitor the various online forums and post informative comments to counter the rumors. Or perhaps they could have targeted ads on Facebook featuring busty women assuring us that all is well in Rochester?

Steve

03-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Unfortunately, energy and resources combating rumors takes away from development and production. The least real film users can do is not add to rumors.
03-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Google response time to a query searching for further information on this topic was limited to slide films and took 0.0046 seconds to return 1,146,785 results. I concluded the post was incorrect, investigated further and made my Reply about the iPhone app.

Checking before posting such as this is a good habit to form.
03-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yep we are lucky here in the Pacific Northwest.

Phil.
I feel pretty lucky too in Medicine Hat as there are at least two places for developing London Drugs and the local lab Boylan's Imagery which processes C41 up to 8X10 which I think even Calgary does not have.

Going to be pushing film this month at the local camera club to tie in with MarchOnFilm this month and next month international pinhole day.

I do shoot a lot more digital than film but prefer film, especially medium and large format. Truly hope it stays around forever.

Colleen

Thanks for posting Kodak info, I know that Kodak takes a lot of written punishment on the web, partly due to it being the biggest player in most people's film universe but also partly as Kodak does not have the best communications with the film communities so it is so refreshing that you took the time to respond to this rumour. I continue to use film products from at least 5 manufacturers and hope all 5 are around in my future.
03-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Checking before posting such as this is a good habit to form.
Note that the title of the thread makes a statement - as if factual, rather than pose a question.
03-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In addition to their current lineup of film, it would be nice if Kodak brought back at least one type of E6 film.

Loosing Kodachrome and all types of Ektachrome is depressing.

Phil.
03-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
In addition to their current lineup of film, it would be nice if Kodak brought back at least one type of E6 film.

Loosing Kodachrome and all types of Ektachrome is depressing.

Phil.
Be happy that they are still making the chemicals...
03-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Getting film is easy, developing it at a cost that makes color film photography worth the cost is quite hard. I actually have 4 or 5 rolls of regular grade Kodak C41 stuff exposed but likely never to be developed because what I used them on in hindsight wasn't worth the cost to develop.
I just got the rest of my B&W darkroom stuff so that i can keep using the film cameras though. Its the cameras more than the film that keeps me in the game, DSLR's just kinda suck to use.
03-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #45
Veteran Member

I have that Kodak film app on my phone if only because I enjoy the irony of a Kodak film app for your phone. I do love that.

I think we the customer base have made the film market the case study in chaos that it is. Nearly everyone observed a moment of silence for Kodachrome and yet I seemingly alone watched the silent death of Plus-X. We're all in this together, you know. I've committed myself to death-watch film usage and was very impressed with my grand total of two rolls of the Kodak E-slide film I shot before it too was discontinued. I still have a roll of Portra T I need to shoot someday. I think it's a toss-up right now but I suspect the TMax films will survive Tri-X.

I appreciate Colleen's response here. Good luck to Kodak because I want to continue using Kodak products. I do think the fine art approach for film is a good one but I believe Kodak has work to do if they want to pursue it. There needs to be a viable Pan F type product on offer.

And one last thing. Make it easier to find still photography films on the Kodak website and then not change the location every few months. As of this morning, to find 35mm film from the main Kodak US website page:

Business Products & Services >> Personal Imaging - Businesses: Professional Photographers & Labs >> KODAK PROFESSIONAL: Products -- Product Information tab >> KODAK PROFESSIONAL Films

That right there could very well be the cause of these Internet rumors about the death of Kodak film. And from a search for "film" just one of the first eight hits is related to a still-photography film product. Each time a Kodak film death rumor pops up it takes 15 minutes to prove it true or false. I assume Kodak wants to sell its film business or let it die but common sense states it should attempt the former before the latter.