Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-13-2013, 03:28 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Modern flash on Pentax ME/MX

Hi, I have had a Pentax ME since new, and a MX much more recently. When I dug out the ME, I found the flash unit I had... it was one of those collapsible thingies that took flash bulbs! So, I don't really know anything much about flash...

I'm thinking I'd like to use flash form some interior work, for a competition I'm involved in. However, I don't really understand what the compatibility issues might be for modern flashes on these old cameras. Can I expect, say, a Yongnuo 560 to "just work" on the hot shoe, for instance? What about radio triggers (someone suggested Cactus triggers)?

It's slightly complicated by the fact that my "other camera" is a Fuji X10, and I'd like any flash/trigger I bought to work with it. Manual, I guess, in both cases.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if I don't ask...

03-13-2013, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Any modern hot shoe flash that has manual mode and/or auto mode should work in the hot shoe of your ME and MX. The only time you have to worry is if you have a flash that only works in TTL (P-TTL) mode ... the ME and MX cannot control flashes using TTL/P-TTL so your flash must have a manual mode or auto mode. Yes, any budget radio transmitter and receiver combo connected to the camera and flash should work for triggering off-camera flash.
03-13-2013, 04:29 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Great, thanks JJJP!
03-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Was thinking about the same issue on my ME.
Thanks JJJPhoto.