Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #1

Pentax ME meter & AE stopped

Hello,

could someone who has knowledge in Pentax ME electronics help with an advise concerning an issue with the meter/AE? I've read several threads on the forum about broken meters but my case does not seem to be one of them. The situation is as following:

I shot a film roll with my ME (not Super), with meter and auto exposure perfectly working. Then I had a problem with the mirror. It was stuck after I finished the film and rewound. The film advance lever stayed completely loose and the small rewind button on the bottom cover stuck. I tried several tips that I found in the forum here (like switch first on 100X and some other soft solutions) and that did not work. So I unscrewed the bottom, released the small rewind button. But the rest was intact. I unscrewed three tiny screws from the top cover and two side screws from the release button. Some more touches and gentle pushes which did not help. Then I tried to take off the top cover but found that I need to take off first the film advance lever, the rewind lever, etc. It seemed to me risky, as I am not an expert. So I just pulled a bit more the film advance lever, and... the mirror unstuck. So I put everything back and mechanically it works as before.

Though a problem now is that the metering and auto exposure stopped completely. I can only use 1/100 and bulb. In Auto mode the camera gives the same 1/100, as if there were no more batteries. I obviously took the batteries off, then back, tried another couple of fresh batteries. Nothing helps. No light in the prism indicating the proper exposure an no change in shutter speed, independently of the light strength. I checked back under the bottom cover if I had not broken accidentally the wires from the battery compartment to the camera scheme. They seem OK. So, the current is probably interrupted somewhere else.

If someone could give me an expert opinion based on the knowledge of the AE scheme in Pentax ME, I would really appreciate. Where should I check and what should I fix in order the AE works again? Could I break or just loosen the contacts under the top cover or under the release button when I attempted to inspect the camera and tried to shift (very slightly) the top cover? Or does it depend on the release button where the Auto position makes the current?

Any technical help and relevant links will be appreciated, as I really like this camera!

Thanks in advance

03-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wish I knew.
03-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good luck, though I must caution that when an ME or ME Super dies (ditto for most other fully electronic shutter cameras of that vintage), it is usually not readily repairable without a donor body. A good tech (like Eric) might have a stock of parts and/or donors.

Steve
03-16-2013, 06:21 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you Steve,

I still wait if someone has a hint by chance, before I give up and turn myself to professionals. A thing that makes me stubborn is the fact that it was working perfectly just before I took off the top and bottom plates and the release button. I could swear the reason it broke is quite simple!

03-17-2013, 06:45 AM   #5

A quick & easy thing to try is to take a clean soft pencil eraser to clean the camera battery contacts and also wipe down the batteries to remove
any oil from your fingers. That has worked for me a couple of times.

For the mirror, take the lens off and gently press on the foam mirror bumper, if it feels sticky or does not spring back readily it will need to be replaced.
If you continue to use the camera with a sticky mirror bumper, tiny bits of foam get thrown on the mirror & focus screen and can be impossible to clean off.

I also agree withe Steve, and recommend sending it in for a CLA. Eric has my ME super right now.
03-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Treker Quote
A quick & easy thing to try is to take a clean soft pencil eraser to clean the camera battery contacts and also wipe down the batteries to remove
any oil from your fingers. That has worked for me a couple of times.

For the mirror, take the lens off and gently press on the foam mirror bumper, if it feels sticky or does not spring back readily it will need to be replaced.
If you continue to use the camera with a sticky mirror bumper, tiny bits of foam get thrown on the mirror & focus screen and can be impossible to clean off.

I also agree withe Steve, and recommend sending it in for a CLA. Eric has my ME super right now.
Thank you for the tip, Treker. Unfortunately, it did not work. It's pretty sure that electric circuit is broken someway. I'll try to disassemble the camera deeper and just after it's almost 100% to send it to a tech, as I have no idea in its mechanics and electronics!