Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Asahi Pentax "AP" Photo

I collect old screw mount Pentax cameras. I'm selling a few chiefly because I have duplicates... so I took one out yesterday to also make sure that all is still working well and to take a few sample pictures that I could include in the sale listing.

I was going to take the results and convert to B&W, but I was actually pleasantly surprised. The following picture was taken with an Asahi AP (1957) with matching f/2.2 55mm preset lens, no filters; the film was Fuji Superia Reala 100, and my log indicates a shutter speed of 1/100 at f/16 ... "sunny 16." Had I been guessing instead of using a Sekonic digital meter I'd have guessed more like f/22. I did take some shots at f/22 as well and there is seemingly little difference.

Honestly, I KNOW it's nothing special in terms of the subject matter, composition, etc.. Just a nice snowy/sunny walk in the country. But I do like the results overall and thought I'd share. I've been shooting Kodak forever... but I really LIKE the Reala. Looking back on my Kodak "moments" I think I detect a little too much ... yellow or something.

BTW, I detect some noise here and there... this is probably the result of me not paying attention to scanner settings as well as I might have...

Kind regards,

woof!

03-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

And you still want to sell that?

Lie down and place a cold compress on your forehead until you regain your senses.
03-03-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Very nice. I like it.

Do you develop and print the films yourself, or is this the work of a photo service?
It all looks VERY good to me, the camera is from a good vintage. It is as old as I am
Newer is not always better I assume.

- Bert
03-03-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
>> And you still want to sell that?
>> Lie down and place a cold compress on your forehead until you regain your senses.

Thanks Mike. Actually... this did kind of turn me around. Perhaps I can justify it by keeping one as a collector's piece and the other as a USER.

>> Very nice. I like it.
>> Do you develop and print the films yourself, or is this the work of a photo service?
>> It all looks VERY good to me, the camera is from a good vintage. It is as old as I am
>> Newer is not always better I assume.

Thanks Bert. Nope... I do not develop color. I've toyed with B&W... have some tanks now and a changing bag. I am waiting to finish my basement to do it right. I have an enlarger of Dad's of the same vintage as this camera that's in really great shape.

Fuji Reala is C-41, so I took it to the local Ritz. On this one I told them not to mess with the exposure at all because I wanted to see just what the camera was doing all by its lonesome. . That's going to be my new standard for film... HANDS OFF!

I was born in 1960, so I agree with your comment about vintage. The first camera Dad gave me was his Asahi AP that he had used on the Newark News. By then he was using a Spotmatic (which I inherited when he went to Nikon). He made it clear that he felt a lot of reverence for that camera. I still remember him pulling it out and the way he said.. ."This is an __Asahi__ Pentax..."

I learned how to shoot film on that old camera. Took pictures all over the world with it. Another good reason not to sell this one.

Best,

woof!