Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2008, 04:02 PM   #31
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I say, go ahead and get the scanner. I plan on picking up one myself one of these days. As for the developing, if there's a professional lab in your area, then take it there and have them develop it. Since they're doing the same thing for the pros in the area, they know what they're doing, so you shouldn't have any of the problems that you've been having with Target.

Heather
Too late! See my other thread about being a first time K10D owner.

Though, I do plan on getting a scanner sometime within the next year, I've got access to a few on a limited basis.

03-22-2008, 01:53 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dedicated Scanner

I would have the film developed by a lab and have them make small 2,5x4 inch prints, or the smallest possible. Don't get a contact sheet. Pain in the ass. Have to use a loup. I use a dedicated Minolta film scanner of 2820 dpi. There are some good flat bed scanners that do film. My favorite are the Epsons. Get at least 3200 dpi as it has to scan through glass and as a result it is effectively scanning at around 2200-2400 dpi. If you can find a Minolta Dimage Scan Speed F2800, it is awesome. Very sharp scans. Use Vuescan as your software program. Much better than the native Minolta software. It allows you to do multi scans up to 16x. I generally scan 8x. That takes about 10 minutes per image, but the results are very good as a result. It is effectively like scanning 8-16 times. Great for shadow and highlight detail.

Ben
03-22-2008, 02:15 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by R.ticle One Quote
Yes guys,

the 67 looks lovely. I can absolutely understand why the sheer cost of shooting medium format (or even 35 mm film) would force you to really decide if you want to take the shot. I'm not saying you can't take flippin' fantastic pictures with a DSLR. But man, when my friends were married a couple or few years ago, the photographer shot medium format - at that time, and I'm sure it still applies, he told us that he'd have to have spent 10s of thousands of dollars to come close in digital. You should have seen some of the enlargements!

I agree it'll be a good choice to start with digital and see how into it I get. It will allow me to assess what everything in Manual mode actually does.
I have shot quite a few weddings, and you can get 20x30 inch enlargements from 35 mm film that are entirely acceptable to the couple and their parents. Shooting 6x6, 6x4.5 or 6x7 cm film, the results are nothing short of spectacular at that size. I still drool over the Pentax 67 II. It is not on my list though.
03-23-2008, 09:51 PM   #34

I'm starting to develop black and white (hoping to move to colour slide eventually) film again at home after some 15 years out of the game.

When I build a removable plug for the bathroom window I shall use that as a darkroom, but that will only be safe light and not fully dark capable so I use a change bag for loading the film in to the developing tank.

As long as you're careful and have a well ventilated room chemical sensitivity should not be an issue - my wife is highly sensitive, and she was 4 feet away from me when I mixed up a batch of chemicals from the concentrates.

I would say go for it, the chem side is lots of fun.
Cheers

03-23-2008, 11:14 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I wanna jump in now. But be forwarned, my opinion is rather biased.

In regards to cameras, if going from digital to film I'd go more primitive rather than try to reproduce all the options you have with your digital.

I have a K1000 and a ZX-50. I FAR prefer the K1000 for film. Having manual everything on your camera really forces you to understand the relationships between shutter speed and aperture for various effects. I know with the more advanced film cameras you can easily set them to manual mode for the same thing but there's something, for me at least, about NOT having that option and having to do it the "hard" way. The split-screen focusing makes it very easy to focus. I have more out of focus shots with the AF on the ZX-50 than I do with my K1000. I also think it just takes better shots. But that's probably my bias. (I think I saw a mention of cult-like following?)

I'm taking a trip to London next week and I'm taking of course the K10D but I'm also taking one film body, the K1000.
Agreed, this is why I went the K1OOO way.