Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax MZ-1

This is the Pentax MZ-! pro grade camera scheduled for release in the latter half of the 90's. It was essentially an LX replacement. The project was stopped at the last minute due to the develpment of the ill fated MD-S or "K1" (prototype name) DSLR.

For those who were following the rumor mill at the PDML list at the time, it is amazing how close it is to the speculations circulating.

Attached Images

03-08-2008, 11:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Speculation circulating where? Now? Huh? What are you talking about?
03-09-2008, 12:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It's a pity that Pentax seemed to be late on everything in recent history. It would be nice if the MZ-1 was released at the time of the MZ-3 and forgo the MZ-S altogether. The MZ-S hit the market too late and too expensive.
03-09-2008, 06:14 AM   #4
Forum Member

Interesting. Do you know whether it's just a mockup, or a working prototype?

03-09-2008, 07:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Speculation circulating where? Now? Huh? What are you talking about?

On the pentax discuss mailing list, then hosted by Pentax US. Most expected a metal body connoisseur camera with traditional interface. This is pretty much what the MZ-1 is....
03-09-2008, 07:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
It's a pity that Pentax seemed to be late on everything in recent history. It would be nice if the MZ-1 was released at the time of the MZ-3 and forgo the MZ-S altogether. The MZ-S hit the market too late and too expensive.

This is what really was suppose to happen. The engineers were very dissapointed by the course of the events. Most of them thought that the digital FF DSLR should never have been developed and hence not the MZ-S as well...
03-09-2008, 07:52 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jerry Thirsty Quote

I don't know, but it was close to release.....

03-25-2008, 07:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link. Doesn’t look as refined as the MZ3, nor as high-tech as the MZ-S. Was it an AF camera ?

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
This is what really was suppose to happen. The engineers were very dissapointed by the course of the events. Most of them thought that the digital FF DSLR should never have been developed and hence not the MZ-S as well...
Well, it was good that they didn't put the FF digital in production. Then we would probably not have our Pentax company any more .

When the MZ-S came out, I realized that time was running out for the Z-1P. So I jumped on that instead, as it had some things that the MZ-S didn't, among other things dual wheel, (as I understand the MZ-S).
06-15-2009, 07:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Was it an AF camera ?
Yes, you can see the focusing screw on the mount.

It looks eerily like the K-7, don't you guys think? Or rather, the other way around
06-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jerry Thirsty Quote
fwiw, the japanese labels it as "mockup"

the camera looks really nice though... shame, it didn't make it out
05-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
This is the Pentax MZ-! pro grade camera scheduled for release in the latter half of the 90's. It was essentially an LX replacement. The project was stopped at the last minute due to the develpment of the ill fated MD-S or "K1" (prototype name) DSLR.

For those who were following the rumor mill at the PDML list at the time, it is amazing how close it is to the speculations circulating.
Whoa, I should've seen this before.. I honestly think this looks better than the MZ-S, or the prototype for the Pentax FF digital.

I wonder if this body looks would be retro enough for a digital release? Not sure since the photo wasn't very detailed but if it has a good metal body (not necessarily as "metal" as the KM/KX/K1000 were), then it'll probably be cool enough to pit against the OM-D EM-5 and Fuji X10/100/Pro1.

MZ-1D anyone?
05-15-2012, 06:25 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I actually think it has a lot incomon with the MZ-S. Dials on top, no e-dials as it looks like, so Aperture controled through lens.
05-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

It looks very similar to the MZ-M, especially the shutter release/lock/grip/LCD and the exposure compensation dial.
05-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Whoa, I should've seen this before.. I honestly think this looks better than the MZ-S, or the prototype for the Pentax FF digital.

I wonder if this body looks would be retro enough for a digital release? Not sure since the photo wasn't very detailed but if it has a good metal body (not necessarily as "metal" as the KM/KX/K1000 were), then it'll probably be cool enough to pit against the OM-D EM-5 and Fuji X10/100/Pro1.

MZ-1D anyone?
Thread from the dead. However, it doesn't have the sloped design like the MZ-S and MZ-D had.

MZ-D prototype (both compliments of Dimitrov)

MZ-S

05-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I'd still vouch for the MZ-3 look though. More compact and more edgy. Great for the retro appeal. I personally think the MZ-D would look like a pilot's cockpit with those round windows Unique design. But based on looks, the MZ-3/LX design is what I'll vote for.