Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
In my years in the UP it was 100 miles to a town with more than one stop light, but at least Houghton had a devoted Leica dealer. Some things gained, and much lost.
MTU grad?

The City of Houghton has THREE intersections with full-fledged traffic lights and Calumet has TWO. And that camera shop closed at least 20 years ago. - - - well okay, it morphed into a framing shop with a few photgraphic bits still hanging around, then morphed into a combination art gallery / framing / pizza (no kidding) shop, and these days is an upscale gift shop.

The closest thing we have to a camera shop locally is a Wal-Mart. They had the last film processor in the area, doing exclusively C-41. Unless you are equipped to do it yourself, all film processing is now through the mail. The only film I have seen available locally are 3-packs of 135 Fuji color negative - and you have to look carefully for that.

For what it's worth, I grew up elsewhere and married the daughter of a Tech professor a couple years after we graduated from MTU (never had one of his classes - but heard plenty of lectures ). We lived in Minnesota for a decade, then moved the family back here in 1990.

06-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I consider myself lucky then I guess. We got three camera chains, one locally owned, all competing and all with great selection. There is not much i ever need to order. Between the three chains there are 7 stores I can walk into almost any given time to pickup gear. Two of the stores have a very healthy selection of film from 120 to 35 color and BW.

and I think Edmonton is considered a small city compared to most major cities. All three chain stores could be considered "pro" shops as well...
06-28-2013, 04:48 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
MTU grad?
Yup. Got there just as they changed the name to MTU. Shot for the Lode and 60s yearbooks, took photography from Joe Kirkish, etc. Then 40 years with one employer and retired, dug out my Leicas & Pentaxes again. Been in Texas since '69 - almost thawed out now.
06-28-2013, 05:30 AM   #19
Banned

Sigh, don't I wish.

There are no camera shops within a 100 mile (each way) drive of my home, IF you can call Best Buy a camera shop (ugh). When I do walk into most camera shops (if I spot one) when I travel, they don't seem to sell much more than the previously mentioned Best Buy.
I purchased all of my camera stuff online and if you need film just order it.

Roll Film | B&H Photo Video

06-28-2013, 05:46 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Yup. Got there just as they changed the name to MTU. Shot for the Lode and 60s yearbooks, took photography from Joe Kirkish, etc. Then 40 years with one employer and retired, dug out my Leicas & Pentaxes again. Been in Texas since '69 - almost thawed out now.
Joe Kirkish moves slow, but is still taking nourishment and motivating the local art community. He regularly hosts a dinner/movie night in the Calumet Theater ballroom - as you might expect, it is always an 'artsy' film, and often foreign. About Club Indigo And he sells some of his photography.Joe Kirkish Photographer

I wonder how many different cameras and lenses he has hiding in his closets?
06-28-2013, 05:58 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder how many different cameras and lenses he has hiding in his closets?
He used a Spotmatic in the years I was there. I recall when he had a photo published in Popular Photography back then.
06-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #22

First, the CVS pharmacy around the corner from me stopped processing film last year; and this morning I dropped a roll off at another store (which honestly did a very nice job on C-41 color) only to be handed an envelope. Their processing equipment is gone; all film is mailed out to a regional lab in South Carolina. My color will have to start going to a photo shop that does my black and white in house. As others have mentioned, perhaps five years from now color film will all
be mail order?

07-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rt22306 Quote
First, the CVS pharmacy around the corner from me stopped processing film last year; and this morning I dropped a roll off at another store (which honestly did a very nice job on C-41 color) only to be handed an envelope. Their processing equipment is gone; all film is mailed out to a regional lab in South Carolina. My color will have to start going to a photo shop that does my black and white in house. As others have mentioned, perhaps five years from now color film will all
be mail order?
I started to do my own b&w and c41 at home starting last week because of this. It's too expensive to ship film all around the country if you want to shoot a lot of it.
07-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I developed 8 rolls of 120 and 135 c41 film on Saturday using the Rollei Digibase kit. Developing was 100 % successful.
I started the hot bath on Friday night. It took me all day to mix up the chems etc and do the 8 rolls and clean up and I was tired at the end.
I will put some photos of my process up on the DIY thread.
07-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #25

My "dream home" will have a room with a deep, long sink, and no windows, for a darkroom.
07-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #26
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
My "dream home" will have a room with a deep, long STAINLESS STEEL sink, and no windows, for a darkroom.
There. Fixed it for ya!

07-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
There. Fixed it for ya!

Good catch, Racer X. Thanks!
07-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Anyone near north Florida? This would be a nice score: Darkroom Sink with hot/cold blending controls

I don't have any room for it
07-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #29
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
You're welcome!
07-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I think illford is going bankrupt now too...