Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2008, 02:31 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
possible film bodies without autofocus

but with auto exposure.
my dream is LX, but my budget....
what would you recommend as a body which is able to use "A" lenses???
price is important and i think interchangable focus screen is important, too... (i will use wide angle and normal lenses, such as 28 mm and 50 mm)
thanks...

03-18-2008, 02:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

All pentaxes can use A lenses, but not all can make use of the automatic aperture in A lenses. The LX for example cannot.

If you want a camera that can fully use A lenses but is not an AF body you have six bodies to chose from. The A series and the P series. Don't know much about them, have only shot with a P30, a bit plastic feel but otherwise ok. Don't know which of these (if any) have interchangeable screens.
03-18-2008, 03:21 AM   #3
Inactive Account

The Super Program, Program A, ME Super, maybe others can all use the A setting in program mode. I don't know about interchangeable screens, but I think the Super Program might be able to do this.
Brian
03-18-2008, 04:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

What types of interchangeable screens do you want to use? I've never really felt much need for anything other than a split prism, so I'm just curious.

There is also the MZ-M/ZX-M, which is an all-plastic but surprisingly durable workhorse. I'd probably go with a Super Program, though. It's all metal, manual film advance, and still has A-series functionality.

03-18-2008, 04:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Oh, and the ME Super is an M-series body, so I doubt it makes use of the A setting on lenses.
03-19-2008, 02:49 AM   #6
hll

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
What types of interchangeable screens do you want to use? I've never really felt much need for anything other than a split prism, so I'm just curious.

There is also the MZ-M/ZX-M, which is an all-plastic but surprisingly durable workhorse. I'd probably go with a Super Program, though. It's all metal, manual film advance, and still has A-series functionality.
do you know why i don't want an af camera body???
because many of them are plastic, i want a solid camera...
super program seems like just for me!!!
i know all pentax bodies can use A lenses, how does LX work???
doesn't it meter the light when an A lens is on???
so as far as i understand i have two class, A series and P series, probably, Super Program is the best one and the solid one??? am i right????
03-19-2008, 02:53 AM   #7
hll

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
i don't know actually
i am using an auto 110 and i thought that there are better choices than a split prism???
i can focus the center but, it is not easy to focus a subject which is at the corner???
i just saw a lot focusing screens on ebay, so i thought they could be more helpful???

03-19-2008, 03:15 PM   #8
VPT

QuoteOriginally posted by hll Quote
but with auto exposure.
price is important and i think interchangable focus screen is important, too... (i will use wide angle and normal lenses, such as 28 mm and 50 mm)
thanks...
You might want to try the Pentax Program Plus. It's a manual focus camera with with auto exposure using A lenses. That's what you want right? And a mint Program Plus costs about $80.
03-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
why do you exclude autofocus.

The PZ-1 is an excellent body regardless of focus mode, and there is even a thread here somewhere about replacement finder screens for it.

additionally, it will use all lenses, even the newest ones, so why limit yourself.

Essentually the PZ-1 is the *istD/K10D/K20D equivelent in film

AF is turned off with a switch.
03-19-2008, 04:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hll Quote
but with auto exposure.
thanks...
LX can not take advantage of "A" lenses (M and Av modes only). If you want the closest but much cheaper equivalent get ME Super. Once you hold ME Super you will hardly part with it I guarantee you.

As others have mentioned Super Program will take full advantage of "A" lenses and offer M, Av, Tv and P modes, and although the body is very similar to ME Super I personally think that ME Super is far more elegant camera.
03-19-2008, 07:16 PM   #11

I love my P30t!
03-19-2008, 07:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FireMate Quote
I love my P30t!
I love my MX!
03-20-2008, 01:58 AM   #13
hll

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
why do you exclude autofocus.

The PZ-1 is an excellent body regardless of focus mode, and there is even a thread here somewhere about replacement finder screens for it.

additionally, it will use all lenses, even the newest ones, so why limit yourself.

Essentually the PZ-1 is the *istD/K10D/K20D equivelent in film

AF is turned off with a switch.
you are right, but before i explained before, i really hate the cheap material of pentax autofocus bodies, actually i need an af, but they look really cheap comparing to A and M models of Pentax.
i wish that there is a body enabling af function with metal body!!!
btw is the program plus better than the super program A??? what is the difference??
thanks a lot!!!!
03-20-2008, 04:57 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteQuote:
btw is the program plus better than the super program A??? what is the difference??

The SuperA and superPROGRAM were the top of the line A series camera. If I remember correctly they had a few features the other A's (programA, programPLUS) didn't have. Tv mode, a 1-19 exposure range compared to 1-18, 15-1/2000 shutter speed compared to 15-1/1000, TTL flash operation, 1/125-15 flash sync compared to 1/100. and the superA only came in black I think... I'm not sure about that but mine is black.
03-20-2008, 05:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have both Pentax SuperProgram and Pentax PZ-1 and they are in one word -- fantastic! I have played with them for about few weeks with 2 rolls of film, not yet developed as I want to finish 4 rolls and put them in a CD in film processing.

Pictures of my Pentax SuperProgram and PZ-1:

Mine is silver chrome and black on the bottom. It looks darn good and I get it in marketplace from a great guy who has kept it in pristine condition, great salute to all photographers who keep the gear in pristine condition for others to inherit the Pentax fine jewels. Though the body is all metal and solid, I feel a bit not getting used to the shutter control as I can feel a bit of shaking in full press on the shutter. I am yet to see the outcomes in developed film. But the viewfinder is the BEST that I have used for manual focus, it has a big ViewFinder along with a split focusing screen. I have also purchased a winder to go with the camera. Unfortunately, not pictures yet for the combo. It is a darn cute gadget with 2 Frames+ per second on this film body.

The Pentax pz-1 and the better pz-1p should not be overlooked. Though the plastic body may not appeal to some when comparing to the K10D body, it does have a great impact to my liking when I use it. I have purchased and sold various copy of pz-10, pz-20 and none of them matches up to the pz-1 in terms of functionality, the overall ergonomics and the shutter sound in that old AF body is outstanding. It is an amazing body and its AF speed seems to do a equal, if not better, job than my dSLR with K100D. When I handle the pz-1 body, I immediately think that a lot of the current k10D are based on that AF body.

Pentax pz-1 & SMC 28-105 f/3.2-4.5 lens

Pentax SMC FA 28-105 f/3.2-4.5 Test Shots - Hin's Tech Corner

Thanks,
Hin