Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
testing the water

I have a somewhat rare Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic. It's Black with White lettering. It's in really good shape with a small scrape to the paint on the prism hood. The Black paint is worn on the viewfinder eyepiece as well. The body leather is in excellent condition and not de-laminating anywhere. It needs a battery for the meter, but otherwise works well. It has the original owner's name stamped into the back of the top sheet metal. His name is also silk screened onto the original fit case that is velvet lined and has a small pocket built in for a spare meter battery. The snaps work as they should and show no fatigue at their mounting points. It also has a nice strap.

With it, I have the following:

M42 Asahi Super-Takumar 1:1.4 50mm, with Hoya skylight filter and original metal cap
M42 Sigma-XQ Filtermatic multi-coated 1:2.8 24mm with Toyo optics 1B and original metal cap. This lens has built in rotating filters in blue, yellow, orange, and skylight.
M42 Asahi Super-Takumar 1:3.5 28mm with Hoya HMC Skylight filter and plastic pinch style lens cap
M42 Asahi Super-Takumar 1:2.5 135mm with Tiffen UV filter and plastic pinch style lens cap, plus the original metal hood
M42 Asahi Super-Takumar 1:4 200mm with Hoya HMC Skylight filter and original metal cap, plus the original metal hood
M42 Asahi Super-Takumar 1:3.5 35mm with Rolev M.G. Skylight filter and plastic pinch style cap.
M42 Asahi Super-Takumar 1:2.8 105mm with Zeikos UV filter and original metal cap.
M42 Auto Prinz VAr-1 Rim Lens Extender for Pentax (Made in Japan) in original stitched leather case.

Crown Model T-3300 Thyristor manual zooming flash with removable diffuser and tilt/rotate head. Auto/manual settings up to ASA1000.
Rubber eye cup.
Extension rings #'s 1,2,3
Tamron Adaptall for Pentax M42
3 different length cable releases in braided stainless
Asahi Pentax eyepiece mount hotshoe
Hotshoe cable
Cabled remote hotshoe
1 new in package Wein replacement battery for the meter. However, this is old and I'm not sure if its good.

All items are in very good to excellent condition. The lenses overall are in very good to mint condition, some with some wear showing on the focus rings. The 105mm lens has a wobble to the focus ring, that affects nothing. I'm sure someone in the know, can tighten the set screw that probably loosened.

If I decide to sell, I know there is some collectible value to each item, or collectively as a set. I really have no idea of what the value should be. I don't want to charge excessively, nor get ripped off, so I'm posing the question to all you experts, collectors and photogs. If I sell, I'd really like to see it go to someone who will get some use from it or display it with appreciation. I also have many other bodies, Asahiflex, spotmatics, MX, ME Super, Super Program, motor drives, accessories galore, and several Auto 110 kits. Most of the 35mm bodies work well, and are in super condition. All the Auto 110's work, and I even have film! I have much vintage glass as well. Some really excellent lenses from Asahi, Pentax, Vivitar, Sears, Mamiya, Zeiss and others are in my collection as well.

So, what's this stuff worth?

Thanks,
Wayne
W6WAT

Last edited by w6wat; 08-30-2013 at 11:18 PM.
08-31-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If/when you decide to sell, the above information will be appropriate for a listing in the marketplace. If you are not planning to sell (since selling through a forum post is against the rules), I guess I have to say that you have a nice Spotmatic kit.

As for value, it all depends on the buyer. If you have been collecting, you probably are aware of what you paid. That would be a good starting place. I took a quick look at your list and saw no one item of particular value. Of the lenses listed, the ST 50/1.4, ST 28/3.5, ST 35/3.5, and ST 105/2.8 are the most interesting. None would sell for more than $100 USD and probably only the 50/1.4 and ST 105/2.8 for more than $50 USD. I would suggest checking out KEH.com for current values. Take 75% of their price and you get the open market best-case expectation.

The black Spotmatic is interesting, but while unusual, they are not particularly rare. There are four currently at auction on eBay. I don't know if the color increases the value any. Top dollar value for a Spotmatic body is about $40-$50 USD. A person who really wants a clean black body might give as much as $60-$65 USD. The various accessories (cases, straps, and such) are worth no more than $10 USD per item.

Again, if you sell (which appears to be your intent), the marketplace or eBay is the right place to list.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-31-2013 at 04:23 PM.