Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2013, 02:45 AM   #1

ME Super Repair

Hi All,

Many many moons ago I did the (almost) compulsory post-student working holiday. I bought myself a Pentax ME Super and travelled around Australia with it taking some pretty awful photographs.

The other weekend, overcome with nostalgia, I splashed out £2 at a car boot sale for another ME Super for with the mirror locked in the up position. It even came with a wide angle lens. I enjoy tinkering with things, and was up for the challenge of fixing it.

This site, and the knowledgeable people posting on it have been fantastic in finding information, and I now have a disassembly guide and a service manual that have helped me to take the camera to bits. In fact, I think with the help I've found here I've fixed the main fault, the common problem of the sticky rubber buffer on the mirror box that jams things up.

Unfortunately, I was a little ham-fisted when attempting to refit the mirror box into the camera body. As per the disassembly instructions I had unsoldered the three wires beneath the bottom plate, but somehow I have managed to detach the red wire from whatever it was soldered to at the other end. I cannot see where I've disconnected this from. I've spent a couple of hours trawling the magical internet for a picture or mention of where it needs to be reattached too, but can't find any. Could someone help!?

09-12-2013, 01:19 AM   #2

Original Poster
I've uploaded a pic of the wire I mean.. its the red wire in the foreground. I suspect it should be soldered to one of the terminals just to its left.

I've ended up a little confused ! The excellent disassembly instructions (http://m-krg.zxq.net/pdf/m/mes%20disassembly.pdf) which I have been following show the wires underneath the bottom plate resoldered in the order of Green Blue Red, but Mystery Onion's rebuild (Mystery Onion Patch: 05: OK, I'm back... just done a little C-41 and we return to the ME Super...) has the wires in a different order - Green Red Blue! Using Mystery Onion's image and the wiring diagram in the service manual (http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/me-s_sm.pdf) I think that the wire should be resoldered to the very top terminal in my photo. If anyone can follow through my troubleshooting and agrees with it (!!), or has a camera in bits already, could they confirm I'm right ?

Many Thanks.
Attached Images

09-12-2013, 05:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I suggest that you email Eric (Contact Us). He does most of the forum member's repair work in the US and could easily help you with your problem.

Tim
09-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #4

if the red wire is the red wire that comes from the battery compartiment, it is soldered on top of the main flex board, and not at the bottom.
About the colors at the bottom plate, these differ between models, you need to take note carefully before disassembling!

see picture below (dropbox link)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o9a06qji1pnbhsv/1OS-F4YnHZ

09-26-2013, 02:31 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your help. I've managed to identify it and solder it back in place
Hopefully after putting it back together this weekend I'll have a working ME super!
09-26-2013, 03:40 AM   #6

fingers crossed!

keep us posted!

If you get it to work again, i shure know you will enjoy the me super!
09-26-2013, 04:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Would love to hear how this goes! Tinkering is so much fun lol