Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ME Super - shutter doesn't fire

One of my ME Supers is not firing! I'm on the 125X mode without battery.

The film advance lever winds just fine, but then pressing the shutter button doesn't do anything. The mirror remains in the DOWN position, and the curtain doesn't move at all. I can keep winding the film advance lever over and over again.

Any idea if this is fixable? Thanks in advance.

09-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check the ME Super musing in the KYPhoto, it helped me. Reset the camera!
Favorite Classics > Pentax ME Super Ramblings > Three Common Failure Problems
09-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
iht
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Check the ME Super musing in the KYPhoto, it helped me. Reset the camera!
Favorite Classics > Pentax ME Super Ramblings > Three Common Failure Problems
Thanks for your reply. I did already have a look at that page, but I couldn't see this particular issue described there. Any other pointers? Thanks.
09-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My ME Super was hung up a bit different than yours (winder wouldn't complete a full throw), but here's the link to the story of my ME Super. I'm so glad i got it fixed.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/227597-...ttachment.html

09-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have a look at
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/218132-...ml#post2312010
(post #4).
However, there could be other reasons.
09-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
iht
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Do you mean the Super Program Service Manual? That's a bit out of my league...
09-11-2013, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iht Quote
Do you mean the Super Program Service Manual? That's a bit out of my league...
No.
The link in my post in this thread should show you what the important link is speaking about.

This is it:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/217940-i-think-...uite-sure.html

Actually I have a ME Super with exactly the same problem, but haven't had enough time to open the cover yet.

I do own a collection of service manuals on CD, but I haven't yet compared how much the mechanics have changed from ME Super -> Super A -> P series (in respect to the mechanical connection between film transport and shutter cocking).

09-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The full servicemanual in on pentax-manuals.com
in case you don;t have it
09-11-2013, 11:33 PM   #9

Maybe this can help you out to get the camera opened up.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/228514-me-supe...it-sticky.html

The problem is the opposite (mirror stay's up) due to the bumpers gone sticky. But it's a nice reference (the document of gordon stalker) howto tackle the camera.

regards,

Adam
09-12-2013, 04:57 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To make clear what I am speaking about:
The symptoms with my ME Super are the same as with the OP. You can repeat film transport correctly as often as you want, without being able to fire.

But if I several times do strongly rattle the film advance lever vertically during transport, from then on everything will be ok.
If the camera is not used for 1 or 2 days, the problem returns.

There is a good chance cleaning, and probably re-lubricating, will fix the issue. That's why I linked the P3/P5 thread; according to the pictures in this thread it may be possible to fix it by just removing the bottom plate without further surgery (if the mechanics which connect film transport to shutter cocking hasn't changed too much between ME Super and the P series).
09-12-2013, 05:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Usual problems for the ME's is the mirror getting stuck on old stick foam, and then confused owners trying to make the camera work and thus damaging an internal part. If this is the possible case, send for repairs =)
09-12-2013, 05:34 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
Usual problems for the ME's is the mirror getting stuck on old stick foam, and then confused owners trying to make the camera work and thus damaging an internal part. If this is the possible case, send for repairs =)
Agreed.

But the problem of the OP seems not to be related to mirror function.
If the film transport works as it should, but the shutter is not cocked in the final stage of film transport, there is some hook not correctly moving to its position - most likely a problem of cleaning and lubricating.

All M series, A series, and P series bodies seem to suffer from this issue, if not used for a long time.
But the really special problem of the ME Super is not the mirror foam (that's a problem with ALL SLRs/DSLRs), but dirt/oxidation under the ISO wheel. This leads to erratic exposure metering, jumping 6-8 steps up and down between 2 exposures of the same subject.
09-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agree with the last two threads... send it out for repair.
09-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #14
iht
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for their input, esp to RKKS08. Looks like it'll become a display piece then