Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2008, 07:03 PM   #16

Or film changing bag if you can find a closet.

04-10-2008, 10:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Re scan, Purple gone. Scanned it in Black and white mode.

04-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
JGRedline,

I took the liberty to adjust the levels on your last photo. Hope you don't mind.

Best advice I ever got with regard to B&W was to control the levels.

By this, it means to ensure the photo has some pure black and some pure white. Otherwise your photo is a Grey & Grey.

First I adjusted the levels (I use Gimp, but I hear it can be done in Photoshop just as well )

Then I brightened the photo a bit

Then I reduced the contrast a little.

here is a link that talks about "levels" Really basic photo editing with GIMP: Part 3. Adjusting color and brightness

I enjoyed your photos, nice work. Thanks for posting.

Eric.

Last edited by KungPOW; 04-28-2008 at 05:35 PM.
04-14-2008, 06:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Eric, I like your edit, but I like the original sky better..It was a cloudy ominous day that day. I would like to see your edit with my sky.
Thanks again.

04-14-2008, 07:46 PM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Eric, I like your edit, but I like the original sky better..It was a cloudy ominous day that day. I would like to see your edit with my sky.
Thanks again.
I think KungPOW was right on with the suggestion to lighten, but I also agree 100 per cent that the sky is an important feature of the photo. Here is my attempt.

I significantly lightened the photo without going quite as far as KungPOW. No offense, just my preference for levels on this piece. However, I also made the sky closer to original and tried to eke out some detail there. I probably should have left the layers I used intact so you could see, but alas, I'll have to describe it.

Basically, I took the original and used Auto Levels and a little Brightness/Contrast to brighten and add contrast to the whole picture. A number of faults in the emulsion showed at this point in the sky, so I healed them with the clone tool. I then used the magic wand to select the sky and the sky showing through by the bells... I then created a layer via copy. I then darkened that layer and set opacity as desired to come very close to the original photo values and to capture some of the details of the clouds.

If this was a high res version, and mine, I would also probably fix the white anomolies in the upper left hand side along the top of the wall. They seem to be there in the original so I did not touch them. I also note that for whatever reason, Flickr kind of darkens the image a little when displayed in this manner. Don't quite get THAT, but the effect is OK.

Let me know what you think.

woof!

Last edited by woof; 04-14-2008 at 07:59 PM.
04-14-2008, 07:57 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Woof, You nailed it!! Way to go......
Thanks a bunch ''again''
javier
04-14-2008, 08:03 PM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Woof, You nailed it!! Way to go......
Thanks a bunch ''again''
javier

No dude, YOU nailed it.

We just put a little favorable light on it here (er... no pun intended.)

I like the picture a lot.

woof!

04-14-2008, 08:26 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks woof, that means allot to me.
04-15-2008, 12:54 AM   #24
Inactive Account

That latest edit makes me feel like it's about 15 seconds until it starts raining. Nice photo and nice edit.
04-16-2008, 05:14 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Nice shots , Javier .

Here is my PP take :

04-16-2008, 05:47 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dantuyhoa Quote
Nice shots , Javier .

Here is my PP take :

This is very cool..How did you get the color in there? It really does look like that.
04-16-2008, 08:30 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Sorry , Javier . I could not help it .

I went to the exact spot of the Mission and took the photo roughly 2 years ago ! The photo was taken with a DS and kit lens .
04-16-2008, 08:39 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry , Javier . I could not help it .

I went to the exact spot of the Mission and took the photo roughly 2 years ago ! The photo was taken with a DS and kit lens .
I love it...I can appreciate the humor.
04-16-2008, 08:51 PM   #29
Veteran Member

That place was a BW paradise ! Old buildings with beautiful texture and shapes . Too bad , I went with a friend so most photos were quick snap shots because of the time limit . From that moment on I went on photo "tour" by myself . I can spend an hour on one shot if it needs without anybody trying to hurry me up .
04-16-2008, 09:19 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That place was a BW paradise ! Old buildings with beautiful texture and shapes . Too bad , I went with a friend so most photos were quick snap shots because of the time limit . From that moment on I went on photo "tour" by myself . I can spend an hour on one shot if it needs without anybody trying to hurry me up .
I know what you mean. I am the same way...I love going on hunts by myself...How ever, I have met a few friends online and have hooked up with great results because most of us understand that waiting an hour for the right light is not un-normal....Just yesterday, I sat at a pond for nearly three hours to capture a good shot of ducks off the water...At the end of the day, I did not like the shots I took, but still enjoyed my time there waiting so I lost nothing..