Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2013, 04:13 AM   #1

Looking for a film.....

Looking for a film that might give me similar aesthetics to these shots.....

Name:  olga01.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  130.6 KB

Name:  olga15.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  58.2 KB

Both are by OLGA SHCHEBLYKINA

iGNANT

09-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Portra 160?
In any case I see a blue dominant and the blacks are pushed down (post production?maybe)
09-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks a bit too saturated for portra to my eyes. I think most col negs give this look - superia 400 would certainly do the sky colours. The blue is quite dominant, maybe something like agfa col neg?
09-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like Ektar to me.

09-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Positive or negative?

Scanning slides doesn't seem to match colours very well, but the oranges and blues in the hills and sunset in the second image sure look like Ektachrome to me. If the pictures were negatives, I would go with Ektar, as Swift1 pointed out.
09-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Link says they're from Instagram. They're most likely from a smartphone and no film.
09-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by samtr87 Quote
Link says they're from Instagram. They're most likely from a smartphone and no film.
Link only says they looked through her instagram feed.
Aren't instagrams square always?
I'm not saying they aren't digital or instagram, but they don't look like instagram to me.

09-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Link only says they looked through her instagram feed.
Aren't instagrams square always?
I'm not saying they aren't digital or instagram, but they don't look like instagram to me.
That's what I thought too, but then I found her Instagram account and she has a lot of similarly sized pictures there.

Instagram
09-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by samtr87 Quote
That's what I thought too, but then I found her Instagram account and she has a lot of similarly sized pictures there.

Instagram
Oh. Interesting.
I stand corrected
09-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Instagram doesn't care where your image files come from, and neither picture looks like it came from a fixed focus smartphone. In particular, the trees in the distant foreground of the first one are out of focus, whereas the building is in sharp focus. Also, in the linked gallery, check the depth of field in the picture with logs in the foreground.
09-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Looks like Ektar to me.
Looks like Ektar to me as well.
09-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Instagram doesn't care where your image files come from, and neither picture looks like it came from a fixed focus smartphone. In particular, the trees in the distant foreground of the first one are out of focus, whereas the building is in sharp focus. Also, in the linked gallery, check the depth of field in the picture with logs in the foreground.
Exactly, I post my film photos to Instagram. Lots of people post their dslr photos too.
09-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks for your input guys, i am pretty sure these are film shots. Like gabro said, i'm guessing their must be some kind of post production going on. And what about exposure times as well, longish exposures??
09-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kalki Quote
some kind of post production going on
Actually, if the photofinishing is done by a good lab on quality paper, the original prints will look even better than what you see online, with truer colours and much better dynamic range. Unless you have a $2000 colour calibrated display, your computer will distort the colours and even a Retina display doesn't have the resolution of a quality print. Monitors tend to be brighter however, because they shine light at you, instead of reflecting ambient light, which makes the images seem "louder." It's been a long time since I had prints digitized with a drum scanner, but even that process doesn't capture everything you can see on paper. There isn't a flatbed scanner made that doesn't require heavy image processing just to make the digital file look as good as a $0.25 drug store one hour photo print.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kalki Quote
longish exposures?
A lot of the photos in the Instagram gallery appear to be taken with short focal lengths, during the day, with minimal artificial light, so there probably was no need to go with long exposure times. The second picture in this thread was taken at dusk, but with a wide angle lens, so it could have been taken at ~1/30 sec. and pushed when developed. With 400 ASA film, maybe even 1/60, so no tripod.
09-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #15
Inactive Account

If you really want to know, go to her Instagram feed and post a comment about the picture(s) you're wondering about and see if she answers. Worst that could happen is that she ignores it.