Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
So, I finally got around to getting some batteries and putting some film in the XG-M. So far everything seems to work fine!

I've decided that the KX is the one I'm going for, in the near future. Just a beautiful, compact camera, that works perfectly even if the batteries run out (it just needs them for the meter). And its light meter is supposed to be very reliable.
KX and compact are not two words I would use together...

The KX has the same body as the K1000. The MX on the other hand is a compact camera.

10-05-2013, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
KX and compact are not two words I would use together...

The KX has the same body as the K1000. The MX on the other hand is a compact camera.
And the LX in between physically and alphabetically . . .

10-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
And the LX in between physically and alphabetically . . .
Good comparison with that shot, the poor MX looks like it shrunk in the wash!

Phil.
10-07-2013, 07:11 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
OK so the MX is the one I was thinking about, then

Though if I get a substantially better deal on a mint KX, I wouldn't mind having one. I'm not that set on it being small. I just want it to be a nice and reliable

And yeah, nice comparison shot! Black ones, nonetheless!

10-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #50
Veteran Member

In terms of reliability I can only speak for cameras I have owned and used a lot. I've used both the Pentax K2 and MX since 1980. Both worked flawlessly for the entire time with only a couple of routine cleanings. I can't think of anything else I bought during that period which has been as reliable.

Tom g
10-18-2013, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

So it's reliability you want? Well, I read in the news today that an asteroid might possibly destroy the planet in the year 2032. But even if that event reduces the entire planet to a vast dust cloud circling the Sun for eternity, I expect there will still be thousands of fully functional K1000s orbiting among the rubble.
10-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #52
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I expect there will still be thousands of fully functional K1000s orbiting among the rubble.
Operated by cockroaches that feed on Hostess Twinkies!

10-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #53
Veteran Member

The Joy and the King

Ok. I have had already several film bodies - I have ME Super that is always having BW film in it and lives in my car with 50mm 1.7 on it. I had MX in fantastic condtion, I even got it fully CLA'ed but I sold it after all sticking to my main film bodies : two mighty Z1p

So Ladies and Gentlemens - there it is - a King :

This camera has literally *everything* that you can think of or dream about - apart from weather sealing of course - there is literally no feature I am missing on this camera. 1/8000s. 1/250 flash sync, massive amount of customization and fantastic - best to date handling. I had briefly MZ-S as I thought I would sell Z1p and switch to it -- after one roll MZ-S went to China and Z1p was announced to be a King for the end of my 35mm film life. I have them two as one I use to shoot with slides and one for negatives. No issues whatsoever - at all - I have my Z1p since 2007 - I bought for whooping £150 !! back then and later I added another one for symbolic £55 - I have never had a single issue - the camera will outlast my - the quality of this camera always makes me to want to BUY again whenever I see it going for peanuts !!
And the batteries are surprisingly long lasting - I change mine every 2 years about - so that's just few pounds per battery and it lasts for many rolls ( I think over 40 in practice ). But frankly even if I had to change the battery EVERY MONTH - I WOULD - just for the joy of handling this fantastic camera. I wish that Pentax would release full frame camera with just about this body or similar to Z1p - large enough, substantial and solid ( apart from the bottom but that's not a problem with the grip :P ) - if course magnesium body would be nice.
Ok, that was the King. Now - my true joy when it comes to manual body - there it is my winner over K1000, MX, ME, ME Super, KX and Praktica BCX - Pentax ES II :

This camera offers me everything I need - full automatic with aperture priority when I want it, some manual times always available when I am fancy of that. There are massive amount of features too - but what I love most is handling !! THis camera has won over every single body I had in my hands - ( apart from Z1p if course ) - so when I have the time and I want to simple walk around and take some snaps - I would take ES II - my cherished gem.
-- manntax

Last edited by manntax; 10-19-2013 at 02:19 AM.
10-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I did consider the PZ-1p and almost bought one... and I still might But for now I'm thinking about buying a KX down the road. I just got my free ZX-M and I want to shoot with it a little bit and see what my need are - if I need more shutter speed, obviously the KX won't do. But if I feel I could use mirror lockup, then the KX is probably what I will need...
But I'm still thinking KX and Minolta SRT-102 are what I'll have in the future. But first, I'm buying glass and using the ZX-M and XG-M.
12-09-2020, 02:01 PM   #55
Pentaxian

There's a fine timeline table about the film SLR cameras from Pentax:
Template:Pentax K-mount film SLR cameras - Wikipedia
12-09-2020, 02:37 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Ok. I have had already several film bodies - I have ME Super that is always having BW film in it and lives in my car with 50mm 1.7 on it. I had MX in fantastic condtion, I even got it fully CLA'ed but I sold it after all sticking to my main film bodies : two mighty Z1p

So Ladies and Gentlemens - there it is - a King :

This camera has literally *everything* that you can think of or dream about - apart from weather sealing of course - there is literally no feature I am missing on this camera. 1/8000s. 1/250 flash sync, massive amount of customization and fantastic - best to date handling. I had briefly MZ-S as I thought I would sell Z1p and switch to it -- after one roll MZ-S went to China and Z1p was announced to be a King for the end of my 35mm film life. I have them two as one I use to shoot with slides and one for negatives. No issues whatsoever - at all - I have my Z1p since 2007 - I bought for whooping £150 !! back then and later I added another one for symbolic £55 - I have never had a single issue - the camera will outlast my - the quality of this camera always makes me to want to BUY again whenever I see it going for peanuts !!
And the batteries are surprisingly long lasting - I change mine every 2 years about - so that's just few pounds per battery and it lasts for many rolls ( I think over 40 in practice ). But frankly even if I had to change the battery EVERY MONTH - I WOULD - just for the joy of handling this fantastic camera. I wish that Pentax would release full frame camera with just about this body or similar to Z1p - large enough, substantial and solid ( apart from the bottom but that's not a problem with the grip :P ) - if course magnesium body would be nice.
Ok, that was the King. Now - my true joy when it comes to manual body - there it is my winner over K1000, MX, ME, ME Super, KX and Praktica BCX - Pentax ES II :

This camera offers me everything I need - full automatic with aperture priority when I want it, some manual times always available when I am fancy of that. There are massive amount of features too - but what I love most is handling !! THis camera has won over every single body I had in my hands - ( apart from Z1p if course ) - so when I have the time and I want to simple walk around and take some snaps - I would take ES II - my cherished gem.
-- manntax
I don't know, naming their camera the zip just doesn't talk it up for me.
12-09-2020, 02:43 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Bomb proof get a Minolta SRT...just make sure the meter is a runner as they can die due to the cells failing and its pretty much unfixable without a donor camera.

The 303b is the nicest with more features and also as a very late model more likely to have a running meter. By and large SRTs are very solid and almost any camera tech can fix them and CLA.

XGMs can blow capacitors and the top ones are a pain to replace, unless you are comfy with soldering small parts avoid. They can also suffer more serious issues like shutter derails and IC failures. Dont be fooled by the internet myth of capacitors being the only headache........same is true for the X500 and the X700. Generall if they are runners they stay that way but problem ones can be painful to fix.

XDs are the most elegant of the Minoltas IMHO but if they are a non runner they can be scary and/or expensive to fix. They are beautiful to shoot with though but ageing electronics could make an XD a liability if reliability is the be all and end all.

Minolta glass is extremely good, up there with the best if them and stunningly undervalued...its also mostly easy to fix being quite straightforward in construction. The only headache is the later MD lenses which can suffer if fungus is present in the sealed groups of lenses.

For Pentax if you want bombproof it has to be a K series. I have a minty K1000 but almost never use it as I find it a bit rough and coarse. The KX is nicer, it feels more refined even though its the same basic guts. Never used an MX so dont know what the issues may be. Spotties should be reliable if the meter is ok.
12-09-2020, 03:53 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

MX is really nice. There seems to be a schism here, though, between people who prefer the K-series ergonomics vs the M-series.

To me, the KX feels more serious while the MX is more compact, which is something of an artificial distinction...

-Eric
12-09-2020, 04:10 PM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
MX is really nice. There seems to be a schism here, though, between people who prefer the K-series ergonomics vs the M-series.

To me, the KX feels more serious while the MX is more compact, which is something of an artificial distinction...

-Eric
For what it's worth I've had multiple bodies of the KX and MX. I still have and use an MX. The KX is a great camera. But I also have a Nikon FM2N so the KX was kind of redundant.
12-09-2020, 04:17 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

MX is the best manual focus travel SLR I’ve ever used.

-Eric