Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2013, 06:57 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
Why Do YOU Still Use Film SLR's?

Because it's fun?

In my re-kindled interest in photography, using my film cameras helps me remember the fundamentals of exposure and (in theory) I'll be a better photographer. Someday.

I've found that having to THINK about exposure helps me think about those things with my DSLR's. Yes, it's easy to take a shot, look at the screen, go hmmm, make a few adjustments and take it again. Depending, that is ok. Unless you're taking a shot of something that is fleeting; some photographs are there for an instant and gone the next.

Because it's a JOY to take a thirty-forty-something year old camera with 20th Century film technology and take beautiful pictures with it!

Because there's something about the way the shutter on my K1000SE goes 'click', that buttery smooth working of well made components that even thirty plus years later, still works as it did when it was new.

Because using my new/old Mamiya 1000DTL (and her little sister the 500TL) brings back memories of all the good times I had back when!
(Boy, I sure hope that roll of Ilford B&W comes out)

Because there's something...special about a Takumar M42 50mm, or that SMC, or Asahi 135mm, or even the almost brand new with the case, instructions caps & everything Sears branded M42 28mm. The world truly looks...wonderful through them!

Why do you still use film?

10-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

There is nothing better . . .
10-04-2013, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
-because the result is not "ephemeral" like a digital file.
-because the feel and sound of advancing the film / cocking the shutter is so good
-because it makes me s l o w d o w n
10-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Because I have a Samyang 14mm and film is the only full frame Pentax offers. It lives on my ZX-L

10-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Me, Too!

Hello dubiousone, Welcome to the Forum!
I agree with all your well-written reasons for shooting film, and would like to add another one;
It helps me break (or, minimize) my lazy digital habits, like 'Spray and Pray', over-chimping and depending too much on auto-features. Not all those tricks are necessarily bad, but too much automation and 'saving it in PP' makes me question my techniques and priorities.
Film and digital both have a valuable place in photography, and I hope they always will!
Ron
10-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
because it makes me s l o w d o w n
This

QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
Because I have a Samyang 14mm and film is the only full frame Pentax offers.
Same here, until I can afford a Sigma 8-16 my Tokina 17/3.5 on film is my widest lens.

Also:
- Some film cameras are a lot smaller than any DSLR, I often only carry a very small kit (i.e. ME Super + M50/1.7 or Super A + DA40/2.8)
- Bringing a film camera along makes a prime-kit more versatile, I usually carry three lenses: Tokina 17/3.5 (equiv.: 26mm), DA40 (equiv.: 61mm) and DA70 (equiv.: 107mm). When I bring my Super A along, I get three additional FOV-choices.
10-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

a) gets me to slow down and take my time. I need to think when I shoot film. there is no chimping and speed bursting on film

b) when I start making things too complicated, it helps me get back to basics

c) nothing is more exciting than waiting for those images to come back

10-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I think I'll use my SLR on my photo-walk tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration!
10-04-2013, 10:13 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The most important part of film for me is it's FUN.
That's what got me hooked all those years ago, staying up late to read another book or magazine with some technique that I would try the next day. Or learning what chemical did what to a given film.
Actually studying composition and exposure because machine gunning film wasn't (isn't) practical.
And of course I love the feel of an old, well built camera.
10-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Mainly for persistent medium. How many of your digital shots will survive 20 years down the track?

Of course it's fun to use. Every roll feels like unboxing a new gadget.
10-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All the pervious posts pretty well sum it up for me and I’ll add the waiting time for the film to be developed.

Yes I like the surprise of getting a roll of film back from being developed and having to wait a few days or weeks to see the results. The wait lets me contemplate what I have shot and makes each shot more personal. I grew up shooting Kodachrome, which always took a few weeks to get back from the "Kodak authorized processing labs", so the wait is just part of photography for me.

For me seeing a shot instantly on a DSLR, is like having unwrapped presents under the Xmas tree. No fun or surprise at all…

Phil.

I should also add slides. I love the little buggers and being able to see a “final” image that you can hold in your hand or project on a screen. For me there is noting better.

Last edited by gofour3; 10-04-2013 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Added text
10-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Pentax 6X7

Pentax K1000

Olympus OMG (Kodak 100 Gold backwards-spooled for redscale)

Oly OMG again

Polaroid SX-70

6X7

Rolleiflex Old Standard (made in the first month of the model's production -- February 29th 1932)

Ricoh Ricohmatic 225

That's just some of the film work I've done this year. I mean, with results as sharp, deep, and attractive as those, why wouldn't film be a staple of my shooting habits? Film lends itself to great results and demonstrates that someone knows how to use a camera (versus a computer). It also requires patience for that 'decisive moment' and mistakes cost money. Digital encourages spray-and-pray shooting and removes MUCH of the skill from photography.

I also like seeing what develops after I process my film. I like the chemical smell and the grain and holding something in my hand that physically records the pictures. I like knowing that, if my computer died, I wouldn't lose all my photos.
10-05-2013, 02:23 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote

I also like seeing what develops after I process my film. I like the chemical smell and the grain and holding something in my hand that physically records the pictures. I like knowing that, if my computer died, I wouldn't lose all my photos.
Absolutely! That's such a big part of it for me.
10-05-2013, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

For me it was because I was using alien skin 'exposure' on all my digital shots to make them look more film like.

So for my 40th birthday I thought why not shoot film for a year?

I do strictly family shots with film and I have to say that even with manual focus my percentage of keepers is insane compared to what I was getting with digital. I guess it's that huge viewfinder.

I do my own developing and have found that overexposing Portra 400 and then pushing even though it doesn't need it gives me a look that I love.

The other reason (which I didn't know until I started shooting film) is that the FA 77 is legendary, and it is not the same lens on a crop sensor.... I will shoot a film pentax with that 77 until they stop making film or the chems to develop it.
10-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

When I joined PF I was still shooting film but with cameras that were all AF. A month ago I bought a used, in perfect condition, K1000, the metal version. This was my first SLR that I had when I started at the four year university when I was 44 years old. And I wanted one back. I shoot film becuase of most ot the reasons already given. It puts me back to basics. And I love and miss the smell of developer, fixer, etc. I also like this because the danged thing is almost Mar proof.