Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has the mighty LX fallen?

Over the past ten years, as the value of most film cameras have fallen during the Great Digital Stampede, the Pentax LX resisted the plunge. Most 35mm SLRs were reduced to double-digit prices. Even top-grade cameras like the Nikon F3 and F100 have fallen to the hundred-and-fifty dollar range. But the mighty LX remained stable in the three-to-five hundred dollar range.

But KEH currently has an LX (with finder) listed for 199 -- exactly the same price they have on an MX.

Has the shine come off the LX? Have all film bodies fallen, even the desirable ones (MZ-S, FM3A, etc.)? Or is this a fluke, and someone will get a great deal on an LX.

(In the interest of full disclosure, last year I bought my LX for what I considered a bargain -- 130 bucks for a non functioning body that was repaired by Eric and I had to add a prism to.)

10-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

You'll notice that is an MX black, so that's at a premium at $199. MX chrome is only $109. All (including LX) graded BGN, so no difference there...
10-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd venture an EX LX with FA1 finder and strap w/ lugs would still go around $375. Start adding little plastic bits, CLA, ER case, velvet bag and such and you approach $500
10-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Over the past ten years, as the value of most film cameras have fallen during the Great Digital Stampede, the Pentax LX resisted the plunge. Most 35mm SLRs were reduced to double-digit prices. Even top-grade cameras like the Nikon F3 and F100 have fallen to the hundred-and-fifty dollar range. But the mighty LX remained stable in the three-to-five hundred dollar range.

But KEH currently has an LX (with finder) listed for 199 -- exactly the same price they have on an MX.

Has the shine come off the LX? Have all film bodies fallen, even the desirable ones (MZ-S, FM3A, etc.)? Or is this a fluke, and someone will get a great deal on an LX.

(In the interest of full disclosure, last year I bought my LX for what I considered a bargain -- 130 bucks for a non functioning body that was repaired by Eric and I had to add a prism to.)
I saw that LX, and was tempted as a backup - but decided on an A7 instead! Not comparable to the mechanical "perfection" of the LX, but should be a good digital solution for all my SMC-M lenses.

10-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll never sell mine so the market can bear what it will.
10-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Actually I have seen prices fluctuate up and down over the years. I was able to pick up my primary user for $220 four years ago but just a few months later couldn't find anything but junk for $300. The KEH example would be a good price if the buyer intends to work with it. Heck, with KEH you can try it out and if it doesn't work out well you can return it.
10-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I am a buyer of the LX - and it's dedicated bits and pieces, so I would appreciate it if in fact prices are going down but I am not seeing it. I wish the Titaniums, 2000s or the Gold versions would come down a bit too . . .

10-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

LX is a legend....always will be, also will always be a collectors item.
However, there's a lot of "well worn" LX stuff around that will command "well worn" pricing, BUT get some LX stuff listed for sale in "Mint" condition, & you will see it sell at an excellent/"mint" price, "at the speed of a thousand gazelles".
Cheers, Pickles.
10-18-2013, 12:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LXs are a tad under £300 from dealers in the UK at the moment: I think I paid in the region of £350 for mine some 11 or 12 years ago, but I don't really remember. I recently paid £275 for a mint MZ-S on eBay. I have no idea whether this was a good price, but I was pleased with it. For an MZ-3 with data back, another one-time top-of-the-line Pentax, I paid only £42 with a Sigma lens. A good camera, but apparently not so desirable.
10-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is a mint boxed LX body and FA-1 finder at 790 Euros: Their prices are a bit high, but they also run the Westlicht auction and have a good idea of the current market values for photo equipment.

Pentax LX - 35mm Cameras - Pentax

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 10-18-2013 at 08:55 AM. Reason: typo