Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Problem with Spotmatic Wein cell batteries

I ordered a battery and light seal kit from eBay. The battery had the green pull tab loose in the packaging, and the adhesive was brittle and crumbly. It metered at 0.87 volts. I emailed the seller and he sent me another battery. This time the green pull tab was still on the battery, but I barely had to touch it and it fell off. Again the adhesive was crumbly and brittle. This battery metered at 0.01 volts.

I am worried that as time goes by, these batteries will all become like this, and there will be no longer be any replacements for early spotmatics.

Charles.

12-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I avoid Wein cells and other zinc-air batteries. They take awhile to get up to full output, and once activated they don't last too long. It's expensive to keep replacing them, too.
I'd look for the S400PX silver cell, rated at 1.55V, which should last about a year. Your Spotmatic exposure meter should work as usual - it's immune to the voltage difference.

Chris
12-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I'd look for the S400PX silver cell, rated at 1.55V, which should last about a year.
What he said.

Steve
12-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I thought the early spotmatics could not use the higher voltage cell?

Charles.

12-05-2013, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
I thought the early spotmatics could not use the higher voltage cell?

Charles.
That rumor goes around every once in a while (your comment will probably give it a fresh start), but the experience of users here is that the Spotmatic meter is not voltage dependent, regardless of age or type. That being said, you might want to determine whether your camera is of the early (P/N 231) or late (P/N 23102) type. The part number is found on the back edge of the bottom plate. Mine is of the late type and works just fine with the S400PX battery.

Steve

P.S. The key is in how the battery check works.

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-05-2013 at 08:46 PM.
12-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, it doesn't matter anyhow. I got the alkaline battery, verified this one has a charge, plugged it in, and.... the meter appears to be busted.

At 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2 the meter reads nothing. Doesn't move, doesn't do anything. And for some reason there's a little red indicator in the window next to the dial. No idea what that's about. At any other setting, the meter dips into the negative about the quarter of the way, no matter what the aperture and shutter speed are set to. The meter does not change at all as I close the aperture, it never moves from about quarter the way into the negative. If I flip the battery over, it pegs the needle at plus, and again stays there no matter what shutter speed or aperture I set.

The meter also doesn't center correctly when I switch the metering switch to the off position. It's a little bit down from center.

I'm guessing this thing is toast. Oh well.

Charles.
12-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Charles.
Hopefully, someone will have some more suggestions for you (besides sending to Eric for repair). Otherwise, there's always handheld meters (or another camera), or good old Sunny-16, just like the pre-Spotmatic days. Good luck.

12-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I already have an ME Super that I use. The Spotmatic I was just going to put new light seals in and see if i could get $20 for it on that auction site. (I'd offer it here, but I can't post in the classifieds section, so eBay it is) With a broken meter, not even worth the bother.

Charles
12-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

And for some reason there's a little red indicator in the window next to the dial. No idea what that's about.
Indicates that the shutter is armed. The camera manual is helpful. You can download a copy from the Ricoh/Pentax Web site or from:

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/spot_sm.pdf

password is "Pentax"

Steve
12-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

At any other setting, the meter dips into the negative about the quarter of the way, no matter what the aperture and shutter speed are set to.
Battery upside-down?

Steve
12-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #11
Pentaxian

At which ASA?
Only at 100 you have metering up to 1s
at 200 only to 1/2
400 to 1/4
etc

Well, it doesn't matter anyhow. I got the alkaline battery, verified this one has a charge, plugged it in, and.... the meter appears to be busted.

At 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2 the meter reads nothing. Doesn't move, doesn't do anything. And for some reason there's a little red indicator in the window next to the dial. No idea what that's about. At any other setting, the meter dips into the negative about the quarter of the way, no matter what the aperture and shutter speed are set to. The meter does not change at all as I close the aperture, it never moves from about quarter the way into the negative. If I flip the battery over, it pegs the needle at plus, and again stays there no matter what shutter speed or aperture I set.

The meter also doesn't center correctly when I switch the metering switch to the off position. It's a little bit down from center.

Charles.
12-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Yeah, I already have an ME Super that I use. The Spotmatic I was just going to put new light seals in and see if i could get $20 for it on that auction site. (I'd offer it here, but I can't post in the classifieds section, so eBay it is) With a broken meter, not even worth the bother.

Charles
I can take a look at it, if it works I'll send it back
or I can take it from you... I live in RDU as well