Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Wondering what christmas present to get

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hey guys,

I've been wondering for a while what present I should get my girlfriend for Christmas. She's said she's been wanting to get into photography for a long time, but she's never really known what camera to get, or where to start. I figured I'd buy her a classic vintage SLR, since that would be in the price range, that's where I started myself, and I'm sure she'd like it (she's talked about wanting an SLR, even though I suggested a rangefinder). Question is, what should I look for? I don't want to spend over $60, and it'd need to come with a lens too. I was thinking maybe a K1000 or ME Super. Any ideas?

12-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

For that price you should look at the P30 series for manual focus or MZ-30 for auto, both of which are newer (hopefully meaning more likely to be in working condition) and cheaper. The K1000 is nice but I've seen to go well over $100. You will struggle to find a working rangefinder for $60.

Here's an example http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pentax-P30T-35mm-SLR-Film-Camera-w-Pentax-A-1-2-5...item4d15ef3fee
12-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well my K1000 was $25 with a lens, near mint. I'm not so sure about the P30 though. I find it to be kind of ugly, typical of late era film cameras. Something more like the K1000 is preferred, beautiful vintage metal.
12-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

A vintage SLR is a good choice, IF she wants to get into film photography.

There is a chance that she may not want the fiddly nature of film (ie: having to get it developed, printed, scanned, etc) she may just prefer digital for the instant response.
You'll need to sneakily scout out how she will use the camera as to what the better format is.

Assuming she's into film, the K1000 is a good choice, but also a common one.
K1000 prices seem to be rising again now that people have cottoned onto advertising them as "retro" and "hip"
Find a clean one in your price range though and I'd recommend grabbing it.

Otherwise, I would recommend something like the ME Super, or the MX (full manual if I recall?).
The ME Super is a slightly smaller size than a K1000 (and perhaps better suited to a lady's hands), it's aperture priority with the option of manual shutter speeds (The standard ME does not have manual shutter speeds)
The ME and ME Super often sell for quite low prices as there seems to be a bigger demand for the MX than the ME.

If M42 mount is acceptable you can pick up a fairly cheap SP1000 or SP500. They're basically a screwmount K1000 (from a usability point of view)

12-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
As far as convenience with film goes, things should be better for her and my friends, since I'm getting an Epson V600 (seems to be a great scanner from looking at the pool on Flickr and reading some reviews), and I'm glad to scan slides for people I know (plus I get to look at their work!) I'm actually about to dive back into film, I plan on buying a Nikon F5 very soon. She doesn't really have small hands, the most I would worry about is camera weight.
12-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

That's ok then, also, great to hear of another person into film!

If you are set on a Nikon, would it perhaps be better to also buy her a Nikon?
You could both share lenses, flashes, and whatever else. And there's also the sentimental "his and hers" thing that she may find charming (I know my girlfriend would)
It also makes it easier for her to ask you for tips (I'm assuming here that her photography knowledge is fairly basic) since you'll both have a similar system.

Rangefinders are ok, but I think for a person who's learning photography they can be somewhat limited.
I use my rangefinder because it's different, but I use my SLRs when I care about the shot.
12-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
If you are set on a Nikon, would it perhaps be better to also buy her a Nikon?
You could both share lenses, flashes, and whatever else. And there's also the sentimental "his and hers" thing that she may find charming (I know my girlfriend would)
It also makes it easier for her to ask you for tips (I'm assuming here that her photography knowledge is fairly basic) since you'll both have a similar system.
I do have a spare Nikon FG (with a motor drive too!) and a Nikon FA (also with the motor drive). I don't have any lenses though. I was thinking of selling the FA and giving her the FG... but she's already seen it like once before, maybe she wouldn't really care though. It'd certainly be more convenient for me though, since I already know they both work. If I were to do that though, should I give her the FA or the FG? The FG is tiny but a decent camera honestly. The FA of course, is a semi-pro SLR, and the very first to have matrix metering. A lot bigger than the FG though, and I don't see the point in giving her it over the FG. Whichever one I don't give her, I would probably sell.

12-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I've got no idea when it comes to Nikon or Canon gear :P
Talk to me about Pentax Models, and even weird Russian cameras, then I can understand, but I've just never really looked at Nikon or Canon.

I think it's better to get her something new (to you/her) rather than gift something you already had. (unless it's sentimental or something)

It's up to you to decide what she likes, but I think whatever make/model it would be sensible that you both have the same brand so that when you both inevitably go out on a shoot you aren't each having to carry a lot of stuff, you can share the load.
12-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
If I were to get a lens for the Nikon, we're talking about $75 for a nice lens. My friend thinks I should just get her a K1000, since a 50mm lens would suffice for her anyway. Christmas is coming close awfully fast, so I need to make a decision.
12-11-2013, 12:06 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax_sam Quote
Hey guys,

I've been wondering for a while what present I should get my girlfriend for Christmas. She's said she's been wanting to get into photography for a long time, but she's never really known what camera to get, or where to start. I figured I'd buy her a classic vintage SLR, since that would be in the price range, that's where I started myself, and I'm sure she'd like it (she's talked about wanting an SLR, even though I suggested a rangefinder). Question is, what should I look for? I don't want to spend over $60, and it'd need to come with a lens too. I was thinking maybe a K1000 or ME Super. Any ideas?
Hmm...

Girlfriend.
Christmas Present.
Don't want to spend over $60.

I'd say you have some other issues you might need advice on.

Get her an *istD or K10D or any dSLR from the first generation or so of Pentax.
Sure, it will cost more than $60, but then she won't have to spend money on film or developing.

12-11-2013, 12:48 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
I've only been dating her about two months and I'm just 16 year old in my junior year in high school... So I don't think an spending a ton of money to get her a DSLR would be exactly logical, or normal, especially given the circumstances. Of course, don't get me wrong, I'd love to do that, but I simply don't have enough money. Something like that would be best suited for her birthday, which is August of 2014. By then, I'd be a bit more comfortable with spending that much money, and I'd probably have that much money too.
12-11-2013, 05:36 AM   #12

go A610 series

So it helps to know the background on your situation:

It's not a Pentax but you can get these on the really cheap on ebay or even Craigslist, perhaps.
Canon A610 series:
canon a610 | eBay

And while it's not a SLR or DSLR it is a great little digital with a super reputation:
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Canon Powershot A610 5MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom

It's got a vario-screen, which is something you just don't see on many cams these days. It's also definitely in your price range, with auto, manual mode and several other "fun" modes.
Another thing is it takes 4x AA batts and they last a very long time however flash recharge time can be laggy if you are shooting fast (or trying to).
I love pentax but I have never seen them produce anything quite like the A610 series.

Of course, PentaxSam, you could easily spend a lot of time looking around for that ideal camera.

Good luck and let us know what you land.
12-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
KM with 55m f1.8.

They are cheaper than K1000s.
12-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My daughter loves her MX. Chicks with a KX or MX are cool. ME Super or Program Plus give exposure automation. I'd stick to these in Pentax.
The Nikon FG is a lovely camera. Get an E 50/1.8 or some low cost manual focus Ai Nikon zoom for it.
12-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Alright guys, just bought a Pentax ME Super for $49 including shipping. We'll see how this turns out. The seller claimed that the "shutter and spool work, but I haven't tested film in it" which worries me slightly... But if the spool turns, then I'm assuming all the other film mechanisms would work. The camera appeared to be immaculate in the pictures, and still had original stickers on it.