Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Of course this only applies to colour film. B&W does not care about the colour (Kelvin) temperature of lighting, so no special filters or film are required when shooting indoors..
True but we still had to carry the various colored filters for B&W film outdoors, my favorite for landscape being orange or yellow. Plus, a variety of film speeds for the really picky.

I remember slogging up the side of a 20,000' volcano in Ecuador, kicking the crampons in on every step, with a dozen rolls of color slide and a half dozen rolls of Tri-x in my pack with the extra camera body and lenses. I do NOT miss that! ;-)

Last edited by abmj; 12-17-2013 at 11:50 AM.
12-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Good point. However, some of us, when we became overly anal about such things, used the black and white coloured filters to modify the contrast to what we wanted. I have a print on the wall from 1962, when HMS Bounty replica visited Vancouver, BC. It was surrounded by small boats, and I used a #2 orange filter to turn the exhaust fumes into mist. MGM awarded me 10 rolls of film and a gadget bag for the shot. We used filters to emphasize the blue of skies. We used polarizing filters to remove reflections. We used density filters to modify exposures to get effects, just as we use them today. And many of us religiously bought and installed neutral filters on all our lenses to protect them from the elements they were built to withstand anyway. I changed religions several hundred months ago, and the only UV filters I own are on old lenses and I've lost my filter wrench.
QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
True but we still had to carry the various colored filters for B&W film outdoors, my favorite for landscape being orange or yellow. Plus, a variety of film speeds for the really picky.

I remember slogging up the side of a 20,000' volcano in Ecuador, kicking the crampons in on every step, with a dozen rolls of color slide and a half dozen rolls of Tri-x in my pack with the extra camera body and lenses. I do NOT miss that! ;-)
Yep I can relate. As I only shoot film I have a full set of b&w and various colour filters in 49mm, 52mm, 58mm, 67mm, 77mm and 82mm filter threads.

Phil.
12-18-2013, 01:03 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Interestingly enough I just finished off a roll of HP5+ with a red filter.

I'm hoping I get some good results (mainly on the shots of the rusting remains of an old factory set against a blue sky with light clouds..... HOPEFULLY, I get a moody dark sky with a middle grey building and stark white clouds.)
12-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Chimborazo can be very unforgiving.....
I tried to climb it twice unsuccesfully.... However got to the beauiful Agujas de Whymper while it was still dark and had the most beautiful view of the Magellan clouds ever!

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote

A view from the plane.... 2010

Last edited by titrisol; 12-18-2013 at 10:07 AM.
12-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Chimborazo can be very unforgiving.....
Bingo!