Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for posting, very interesting!

Film in the last 10 years is going through what vinyl records went through in the 1980’s & 1990’s after the “CD” came out in 1982. Most stores stopped selling LPs and it went underground with mainly DJ’s keeping vinyl going. The media also emphasized the death of vinyl every chance they could.

30 years later and CD sales are dropping like ducks in hunting season and vinyl sales are catching up. Film will go through the same process and yes it has a future just like vinyl has.

Phil.

12-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote

Film in the last 10 years is going through what vinyl records went through in the 1980’s & 1990’s after the “CD” came out in 1982. Most stores stopped selling LPs and it went underground with mainly DJ’s keeping vinyl going. The media also emphasized the death of vinyl every chance they could.

30 years later and CD sales are dropping like ducks in hunting season and vinyl sales are catching up. Film will go through the same process and yes it has a future just like vinyl has.

Phil.
So you're telling me I should keep the 800 LP's I inherited? OK - but where do I get a turntable and cartridge?
12-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So you're telling me I should keep the 800 LP's I inherited? OK - but where do I get a turntable and cartridge?
Any good audio store will sell them.

This online place that I deal with has a number to choose from:

Turntables

Phil.
12-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This online place that I deal with has a number to choose from:

Turntables

Phil.
Cool to know! I have a decent if now middle-aged AMP and now an AV Receiver, but my turntable is amplified and neither my amp nor receiver like it. I've consigned the LP's to storage, though I've always wanted to get out The Kingston Trio Twelfth Month of the Year right about now.

Though I certainly don't need another gear-heavy money-sucking hobby.

I understand the 1973 AR-3's are classic. Who knew when I was blasting Sam Cooke in my dorm room?

12-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Phil.
I don't know what's the situation there on the other side of the Atlantic but in Europe the LPs have re-showed up in the shops and they cost quite a lot of money! Over 20 euros in average...

And there are a lot of people who have started to build valve amps for Hi-Fis, some of them in their garages, and they are becoming very popular for their "warm" sound and also because they look cool, I don't mention guitar amps because they always been valvolar besides for few applications (Polytones for Jazz players).

For film cameras, some builders like Leica are still the reference for the rangefinder market and a lot of photographers prefer old lenses to the new "sterile" offers of the house, for instance the 35 mm Summarons because they say they still look "warm" and friendly to the eye. Oh, I decided to make the enlargement of the best so far, the making freedom one, and frame it. The picture framer, a digital shooter, asked me who took the photo, and was very surprised to hear that it was me and I used an old Pentax K1000 with a 55 mm manual focus on standard film...he praised me and asked if he could get a copy.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 12-22-2013 at 02:51 PM.
12-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
I don't know what's the situation there on the other side of the Atlantic but in Europe the LPs have re-showed up in the shops and they cost quite a lot of money! Over 20 euros in average...
Over here in Vancouver used vinyl rules the world. My local record store has sold off most of its CD’s and is concentrating on used vinyl from the 1950’s to 1980’s. The new vinyl that is being made is better quality and a lot of it is 180gram, which makes it expensive. Sort of like film now, less selection but better quality, which makes it more expensive.

Vinyl 180 (180g Remastered Albums)

Phil
12-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

What he said.

Steve

12-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I understand the 1973 AR-3's are classic. Who knew when I was blasting Sam Cooke in my dorm room?
Oh, yeah...The AR-3s. My buddy in college got a new amp and fried the coils in his during the "test drive". Not happy camper.
12-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I very much regret leaving our LP collection with my first wife. Digital audio is good, and convenient, but vinyl sounds different, though it isn't necessarily better. When I looked at the market around twelve months ago, I think there were more turntables and a greater range of them on the market then, compared with what was available at the height of vinyl. Forget the crappy USB turntables the catalogue stores sell: you can still buy a Linn or Rega, among many of the big names from the 1970s and 80s, plus a few more newer makers. Vinyl is far from dead.

Lomo is creating new markets for film, too. Anyone who dismisses their influence on bringing new users to film, and providing a springboard to using better equipment, has missed some vital information. Young people with Lomo and Diana cameras strapped around their necks are not an uncommon sight in Europe. Whether manufacture of new film cameras comes back the way turntables have remains to be seen, but I wouldn't be giving up on the notion just yet.
12-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Oh, yeah...The AR-3s. My buddy in college got a new amp and fried the coils in his during the "test drive". Not happy camper.
Ouch. I do remember thinking about matching power supplies and crossovers and Ohms and polarity.

I don't remember how many Watts/Channel my roommate had on his Pioneer Amp, but I inherently knew it was too much. He had a pair of Peavey PA Concert Loudspeakers that it could drive. What a geek - talk about rocking the Casbah!

The speakers are actually 3a's. I got them in 1971. IIRC they were basically an entire summer's wages at the time. The other two corners are Bose 301's.

I'm so old.
12-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Though I certainly don't need another gear-heavy money-sucking hobby
Audio gear sucked lots of money out of my pocket in the 1990’s and 2000’s. I finally got the system I was happy with and now camera gear has taken over. (Though I’m slowing way down with that as well.)

Time to enjoy both hobbies with just buying media for both.
Phil.
12-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't remember how many Watts/Channel my roommate had on his Pioneer Amp, but I inherently knew it was too much. He had a pair of Peavey PA Concert Loudspeakers that it could drive. What a geek - talk about rocking the Casbah!
What fries speakers is not too much power usually, but an underpowered amp driven to distortion. This feeds a huge load into the tweeters. I still have my AR9 LS from 1982, Had to have the rubber in the speakers redone once as they perished.
12-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
What fries speakers is not too much power usually, but an underpowered amp driven to distortion. This feeds a huge load into the tweeters. I still have my AR9 LS from 1982, Had to have the rubber in the speakers redone once as they perished.
I'm blissfully ignorant in the audiophile area - TVlectronics, too. Crossing fingers things just work and keep on working.