Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2014, 08:38 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Don't forget the PZ-1.

QuoteOriginally posted by foto guy Quote
Autofocus: MZ-S absolutely! Second choice would be PZ-1p.
Manual focus: Super Program, MX, LX, almost any K or Spotty.

01-02-2014, 08:49 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Little money, the Spotmatic can be found for cheap too.
yes, but then one starts collecting m42 lenses...
01-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
I have not seen the K2 being mentioned in above posts (i think..)

It is the only one I kept from my small collection..
Probably the biggest & heaviest of all suggestions though.
But very nice
I omitted them because I haven't managed to buy one (yet) for what I consider a reasonable price. They aren't all that common, especially the K2DMD. Also, the ASA ring appears to be a weak point. Doesn't stop me looking for one, however, but not, perhaps, where I would start.

K.
01-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote
So let's just say as a newly minted Pentax fanboy I wanted to acquire just one good representative Pentax Film SLR...

In order to just cut to the chase, so to speak, and since it's really not all that important, which model(s) might I want to aim for?
Film cameras are like potato chips, you can never just have one. After you buy all the previously suggested Pentax SLR’s you still won’t be satisfied. Then you’ll want to step up to Pentax medium format film bodies and desire one of these classics!

Phil.

01-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Film cameras are like potato chips, you can never just have one. After you buy all the previously suggested Pentax SLR’s you still won’t be satisfied. Then you’ll want to step up to Pentax medium format film bodies and desire one of these classics!

Phil.
That's just mean Phil
01-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #21

Photos: Albums
This is oh, so true!
My first was a K100SE, then an ME Super and a Spotmatic; turned out that one's meter was unfixable but I shot it anyway because its such a lovely piece of classic equipment. (Still waiting on the first roll to come back from the lab) I didn't think I'd like the ME Super as much as I do; it's tiny (and yes, hard for those of us with big hands) but the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Sears lenses, the ones I have are excellent quality and sharp. They are usually quite reasonable but now that the 'word' is out on them, not as easy to come by.

M42 lenses are some of the best bargains out there and they are a bit nostalgic for me as I started with a Mamiya 35mm. (now I have FOUR)

I picked up a Rikenon 50mm 2.8; not the fastest but it looked to be a bright sharp lens but the aperture is stuck wide open. I used it anyway, curious to see how it looks when I get the Spotmatic film back.

Needless to say I probably have more fun with my vintage film stuff and a CLA, I'm lucky to have a local guy who's pretty good, is around $35 to do a body.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I think you'll find that once you have one Pentax film body you'll want them all...

And then you'll start wanting Ricoh film bodies, and then Sears branded K-mount bodies & M42 bodies...

Just stay away from shopgoodwill.com. It will feed your addiction and the deals aren't as good as they used to be...
01-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Over the last 15 years, via eBay and Eric Hendrickson, I have made a fairly complete trip through the evolution of the Pentax film cameras, from the 1958 K through to the MZ-S. Each camera is a set of strengths and weaknesses when compared with and contrasted to the others available, so I had to make the best compromise to arrive at what I think is the BEST FILM Pentax.

My conclusion, FOR ME, is that while the LX is the best Manual Focus camera, I choose to agree with Adam - the SuperProram/SuperA is the best compromise. Great viewfinder, can use A lenses in Auto, capable of full (electronic-assisted) manual, robust, attractive body with only some plastic, at a decent price, parts are available and a CLA is reasonable. Very close second - the fully mechanical MX, then the KX.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-02-2014 at 11:29 AM.
01-02-2014, 11:26 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would also like to point out that while the K1000 may be iconic, because it was manufactured for 21 years, the KX and KM are simply better cameras. (Though you are more likely to find a K1000 that doesn't need a CLA). BTW, I now own 4 K1000s for some reason but only 2 KXs...(1 was my first SLR, the other 3 were rear caps on lenses I wanted. A M35/2.8, K55/2, and Rokunar 90mm F/2.5 Macro.)

Pentax K1000 Serial Numbers - Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

The Super Program is a great camera too. My father had an A3000 and I still can't figure out why he bought it instead of a Super Program.
01-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Don't forget, it must be FF!
01-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Spotmatic or K1000 may be more iconic, but I vote for the KX as it is my favorite.
IMO the KX represents the pinnacle of Pentax mechanical film SLRs.

Chris
01-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A more important question is not what to buy, but what do you have already? If you have nothing but new DA stuff you could basically get anything with a lens with it, if you already have FF K mount stuff then I would recommend differently.

There is also the question of useability vs collectibility. Did you want this strictly to be representative of Pentax film stuff or the ideal camera to shoot film?

Then there is budget. There is no question you need to get a Pentax LX with all the matching accessories and a fast 50mm lens if you have unlimited money (and send it in for a very expensive CLA). But the answer is much different on a budget.
01-03-2014, 05:36 AM   #27

I started with a broken ESII for the lens, a similar thing happened that netted me a kinda broken MX which hit me with the film bug. I've now ended up with a Super A w/motor drive, Spotmatic SPII, ME Super SE, and 6x7. With the grip/drive the Super A is great to shoot with. The ME Super SE is close behind, but small. I'd like to try a KX next, as the size appeals to me.

The best thing about trying these out is it isn't very expensive and you get to use great quality gear. Then theres the issue of if I like the m50 1.7, m50 1.4, tak 55 1.8 or smc tak 50 1.4 more. Luckily, I almost have enough bodies to justify them all!
01-03-2014, 06:48 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I suppose I should mention the SFX (SF1 in the USA). I have had one since 1989 and I like it. It has good reviews - and they are cheap!

Autofocus, built like a tank, will focus in darkness if the subject is in range of the spot beam.

Pentax SFX/SF1 - Pentax Autofocus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
01-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #29

Although I have a couple Spotmatic F's, a K1000, I have to give the nod to the ME Super as my favorite!
01-05-2014, 05:01 PM   #30
Pentaxian

A 645N or 6x7 - bigger negatives.