Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2014, 06:53 PM   #16
Forum Member

Hi, it happened to me a few times... it seems like getting stuck in Bulb mode... I have a ME and here is what I did. instructions are in red.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by JuanEstrada; 10-16-2015 at 11:39 PM.
01-31-2014, 07:43 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
Seeing as the foam is sticky... try slipping a piece of Scotch/cellophane/clear tape to cover the surface of the foam and then test the shutter... with no tacky foam to slow it down, it should operate as normal.

If not, then another problem.
I tried what you suggested and added some tape, but it's not helping the stuck mirror at all. I tried pushing the mirror up and down, pressing the shutter button, and nothing seems to be working

QuoteOriginally posted by JuanEstrada Quote
Hi, it happened to me a few times... it seems like getting stuck in Bulb mode... I have a ME and here is what I did. instructions are in red.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have an ME Super which doesn't have a 100X option, I tried the 125X though. Still not working... *sigh* so much work just to even get the camera working, I haven't even gotten to experience snapping a picture with it yet I may just have to put it off for a bit, save up some more, and then send it out for repair.
01-31-2014, 07:46 PM   #18
Forum Member

And what about warranty? cant you return them?

Also, you can try and look for a k1000 in the marketplace for about $30... that's a good deal and a really really good camera overall.
02-01-2014, 05:23 PM   #19
Giveaway winner!

QuoteOriginally posted by cafazucar Quote
...added some tape, but it's not helping....
Unfortunately, the tape only helps to rule out the gooey foam as a cause of the stuck mirror and this puts the cause of bumpers and stuck reset arms or shutter leaf bumpers in the picture as a cause.

02-01-2014, 05:45 PM   #20

Original Poster
OK, so opening up the bottom plate and playing around for a bit, I've diagnosed the issue to be related to the wind lock not releasing properly. If I move the wind lock up while winding the lever, then it moves back into gear like it should, and sometimes lasts like that for a few full winds. But then usually, the wind lock moves into place and the lever is jammed once again. The "wind lock" I refer to is shown here:

02-02-2014, 09:19 AM   #21
Giveaway winner!

Upstream from that lever is the part that is attached to the mirror.
The normal chain of events is...
Release button down - release mirror - first stage shutter release to hold until mirror up - release shutter 1 - flash fire - shutter 2 closed, load lever for end of cycle - mirror drops and end of cycle lever at ending position to grab film advance cycle.
03-30-2014, 12:32 PM   #22

Original Poster
Ok, I replaced the mirror foam and now it doesn't get stuck anymore. Now my problem is related to the film winding knob not moving the wind lock into the right place. It takes several windings of the lever before the wind lock moves into place and actually allow the shutter release to work properly. Does anyone know what's causing the issue I describe? I thought it might be related to spring tension at first, but they all seem to work properly.

Edit: So after a bit more research I think I've narrowed it down to the wind lock catch not being bent properly. According to this link:
http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/pentaxmeproblems.html
"Winding too hard when the wind lock isn’t released will bend the wind lock catch. You’ll know it is bent if the wind lever can be wound, then wound again without releasing the shutter. But luckily it can usually be bent right back in position without permanent damage."

Anyone know how and in what direction to safely bend this wind lock catch? Here is a video that hopefully clarifies my issue:

You can see that at the end, the wind lock finally slides into place and the shutter then fires.

Last edited by cafazucar; 03-30-2014 at 01:29 PM.
03-30-2014, 02:39 PM   #23
Forum Member

I got an ME super and it is a lot worse... the wind lever is totally loose, it wont cock, the mirror is stuck up. found 2 guides, misteryonions and another on in pdf. I will work it tonight...
04-07-2014, 04:58 AM   #24
Giveaway winner!

Juan, your video still matches the behavior of the mirror cycle not completing. Could you list the things that you've done so far?
04-07-2014, 07:41 AM   #25

Original Poster
Hey Juan, that sounds like the first body I bought, which I resold for parts. I'm hoping you got farther than I did!

MysteryOnion, have you seen the problem I'm describing? I'm truly grateful of the help you've provided throughout this whole thread, but I'm wondering if you know how/which direction to bend the wind lock? I've found a few different sources that say "bending the wind lock" can fix this problem, but nowhere describes it in enough detail for my newbie self to replicate. I'm just scared I'm going to break something and have to buy yet another body (no more money). Thanks everyone.
04-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #26
Giveaway winner!

QuoteOriginally posted by cafazucar Quote
few different sources that say "bending the wind lock" can fix this problem
cafazucar,
the solution of bending is usually meant to return a lever to a position it is being push away from.

Figure it this way... for example; if a cam goes around and hits a lever away from the center of the cam to actuate it, that over time the lever is forced further away or that wear on the part and "increases" the distance of the lever from a cam. So, the lever should be bent back towards the cam to "decrease" the distance.
04-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had the same problem. I had my camera cleaned, new light seals and had to have a new shutter assembly put it by a local repair shop. Don't force anything as you can damage the shutter. I was told the shutter mechanism is very picky about all its parts working in harmony when you advance the film. It's an old camera, it just needs some love and it'll work like new. My ME Super is awesome again.

Last edited by OrangeKx; 04-07-2014 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Added text.
04-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
cafazucar,
the solution of bending is usually meant to return a lever to a position it is being push away from.
My problem was finding the point along the chain of events where something wasn't catching correctly. I tried studying the mechanism for what seemed like hours, at a bunch of different angles until I finally found where I thought the lever was supposed to catch. I used a screwdriver to try and bend the metal a bit, think I finally succeeded. Now, as long as I don't wind too too fast, the wind lock catches and the shutter fires every time, yes! Thank you MysteryOnion for leading me through that ordeal, I feel so good knowing I was able to fix it myself! Now we'll just see how long my fix lasts for She's looking much happier now that she's up and running again.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 
04-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #29
Forum Member

I am desoldering the wires and noticed that my board has less cables than yours in your blog @mystery onion.

EDIT: well, that was not actually the problem... it is not cocking, or it is cocked and not firign (?)..

Some pictures to see if you can identify what the problem is.

Last edited by JuanEstrada; 10-16-2015 at 11:40 PM.
04-11-2014, 07:26 AM   #30
Giveaway winner!

Make sure that the lever ... indicated yellow arrow on lever ...and all that is attached to it are working and sliding over or under things.
This was encountered as a common cause for many jams.