Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2014, 01:25 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Learning... And Teaching the Young Ones..

My middle boy (David 7) has always been interested in photography. He finally went halfsies with me on a Pentax ist and Pentax M 50 F2 lens. The whole set up was less than $150. Bought the camera and lens used from KEH and it looks brand new and came with a custom Kat Eyez focusing screen that looks just like the screen in my Pentax ME Super. I really think it is important to learn how to manual focus when learning photography and this camera was the perfect set up for a beginner. While teaching him about aperture, shutter speeds and how to read a light meter, my oldest boy (Troy 9) decided he wanted to learn as well. Troy was able to nail focus right away with the digital Pentax ist so I lent him my ME Super and M 50 1.7 until he can buy his own It’s been two or three weeks since they started learning and all I can say is Wow!!! Kids can pick up new things like no one else. They can already shoot their cameras in all manual and know how to properly use a light meter.
Here are a few pics from Troy’s first roll of film, all metered with a sekonic 308 light meter.
Pentax ME Super | Pentax M 50 1.7 | Kodak Gold 200

01-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #2

So thats how Pentaxians are made?
Looks way better then my first rolls with a SLR... Since then the camera got retired. Still want to adapt its f1.2 lens for the K-Mount...
01-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good stuff and nice work!

Phil.
01-22-2014, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Great job dad!

I remember trying a manual focus camera back in the day and it just didn't make any sense to me then so obviously you've done a good job teaching them.

01-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Love it. My daughter will be four in March and she loves running around with an old digital P&S. She's way to young to work the camera beyond keeping her fingers out of the way of the lens and letting the flash/exposure complete before moving on to the next subject. At this point, it's just about having fun. I'm looking forward to the point you're at with your boys.
01-22-2014, 10:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Great job dad!

I remember trying a manual focus camera back in the day and it just didn't make any sense to me then so obviously you've done a good job teaching them.
Ya, it's tough learning to manual focus. My 7 year old is still struggling with that but getting better, he has a nice focusing screen.

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
Love it. My daughter will be four in March and she loves running around with an old digital P&S. She's way to young to work the camera beyond keeping her fingers out of the way of the lens and letting the flash/exposure complete before moving on to the next subject. At this point, it's just about having fun. I'm looking forward to the point you're at with your boys.
My 7 year old had a point and shoot when he was younger, totally agree with you has to be about having fun!