Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I haven't had any trouble loading, but on my ME Super, rewinding feels like the film binds up pretty bad. I'm going to do a quick search and if I can't find anything on the subject, send it off to Eric for a CLA.

01-25-2014, 07:07 PM   #17

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice in this tread!
The problem I'm having is even if I load correctly and take 20 exposures, the film sometimes pops out if I stroke the advance lever too quickly! It isn't a huge problem, it maybe happens every 5th or 6th roll, especially if i'm trying to take exposure after exposure quickly. I'm thinking about getting a p30t to see if I like it. I really love the ME; I'm thinking about busting up a broken k1000 and trying to switch out the take up spool... I'll pull both out tonight and do some measuring.
01-25-2014, 07:53 PM   #18
Veteran Member

If you need to take shot after shot in fast succession look into the MEII winder for it.

Otherwise, just take it easy on the wind lever, if it's popping off chances are you're trying to wind WAY too fast and the sprockets are skipping/tearing the film.

Winding film at light speed isn't going to be too healthy for the camera, or film.
01-25-2014, 08:00 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bootleg Quote
the film sometimes pops out if I stroke the advance lever too quickly!

This should not happen if the sprocket cogs (both top and bottom) have engaged the holes on the film margin. Is there any chance that your film door is missing the film pressure plate?

Steve

01-25-2014, 08:09 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

This should not happen if the sprocket cogs (both top and bottom) have engaged the holes on the film margin. Is there any chance that your film door is missing the film pressure plate?

Steve
The film pressure plate is fine. I've checked over the camera and everything is as it should be.
01-25-2014, 08:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

As for loading 120 film...just part of the medium format experience
Steve
There are exceptions. I started shooting a Rolleiflex recently and the film loading on it is genius. As easy as (maybe easier than) an slr. My other medium format is a Fuji GA645. Its like the world's biggest point and shoot, including film loading. To heck with those crazy backs.
01-25-2014, 10:51 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can definitely second the recommendation of the P30t, if your ME is bothering you. You'll have to decide on the aesthetics, but ergonomically the P30t has a lot going for it. Molded grips; lit up shutter speeds shown on a black background in the VF rather than a dot next to printed numbers that are impossible to see inside, and sometimes hard to see outside; diagonal split-prism focusing screen; exposure lock; DOF preview; physical shutter speed dial for when you want to go manual. It lacks the 1/2000th shutter speed and exposure compensation of the ME, as well as the little indicator window which tells you if the shutter is cocked. Also the shutter/mirror sound isn't as pleasing. But for a compact aperture priority body, it is very good in my book.

01-25-2014, 11:26 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
I can definitely second the recommendation of the P30t, if your ME is bothering you. You'll have to decide on the aesthetics, but ergonomically the P30t has a lot going for it. Molded grips; lit up shutter speeds shown on a black background in the VF rather than a dot next to printed numbers that are impossible to see inside, and sometimes hard to see outside; diagonal split-prism focusing screen; exposure lock; DOF preview; physical shutter speed dial for when you want to go manual. It lacks the 1/2000th shutter speed and exposure compensation of the ME, as well as the little indicator window which tells you if the shutter is cocked. Also the shutter/mirror sound isn't as pleasing. But for a compact aperture priority body, it is very good in my book.
On garythesnail's recommendation I actually bought on one about an hour ago, haha. I can't wait to try it out. I can live with the ME's take up spool I guess, if I remember to be careful, but who knows, maybe I'll love the P30t!
01-26-2014, 02:38 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The film pressure plate is fine. I've checked over the camera and everything is as it should be.
Then you either did not engage the sprockets (top and bottom) before closing the back or the holes were stripped out.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-26-2014 at 06:03 PM.
01-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Then you either did not engage the sprockets (top and bottom) before closeing the back or the holes were stripped out.

Steve
I would agree. My procedure after inserting the end into the takeup spool, is to slowly advance the film until both sprockets engage and slack is taken up. I then carefully close the door and use the rewind knob to take up enough slack, so that it moves on film advance. One advance to get past exposed area gives more than the official number of shots.
01-26-2014, 06:35 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I never had a problem with the Magic Needles on my MX or LX. I also had a Canon FT "QL" - where the "Quick Load" meant you just laid the end of the film over the take-up spool, and spring loaded rubber pads grabbed the film by friction. They all worked fine when new.
And I still use a Leica IIIf, where you have to cut the leader with a 4" long "tongue" like film use to have, remove the camera baseplate, pull out the take-up spool, insert the end of the leader under a clip in the spool, then fit the spool, cassette, and film in the slot in the bottom of the camera (the back is solid and won't open) and get it up under the pressure plate and between the rails. This also works better with a Leica bulk-loading cassette, as it is longer than today's cassettes, which let the film sag below the rails.
So I don't complain about any of today's loading systems. Even my Leica M9 digital, where you still need to remove the baseplate to insert the SD card!
01-26-2014, 07:04 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Even my Leica M9 digital, where you still need to remove the baseplate to insert the SD card!
Tell me you are kidding. That is taking tradition a bit too far.
01-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tell me you are kidding. That is taking tradition a bit too far.
No, he isn't kidding. The M8 is the same too.

Here I am waiting for a Digital IKON from Zeiss or a HEXAR RF Digital - a Hexar RF digital would be awesome. It would give Leica a swift kick in the daddy bags, just like the original Hexar RF did in the days of film.
01-26-2014, 07:45 PM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
I would agree. My procedure after inserting the end into the takeup spool, is to slowly advance the film until both sprockets engage and slack is taken up. I then carefully close the door and use the rewind knob to take up enough slack, so that it moves on film advance. One advance to get past exposed area gives more than the official number of shots.
This is exactly what I do. Maybe I have a dud but I've tried loading it every which way and the film pops out of the take up spool, no matter what I do, if I stroke the film advance too quickly.
01-26-2014, 09:41 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is exactly what I do. Maybe I have a dud but I've tried loading it every which way and the film pops out of the take up spool, no matter what I do, if I stroke the film advance too quickly.
That is odd, since it is not the takeup spool that pulls the film along. It is the cog teeth. Question is, why are the cogs jumping out of the film holes. Poor alignment? Too violent an advance? Film not flat and lifting off the cogs?