Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
Forum Member

A few questions about....

Hey guys, I have a few questions about cameras care.

1) What do you clean cameras with, I mean, the bodies... the outside of the lens and all... Almost every old lens I have seen, has a coat on the lettering... the letters are not white anymore, they are yellow... so, what to use to clean the body of the lens and the body of the camera.\
2) is there a way to polish chrome finish of a camera let's say the ME? mine is excellent, like new... but it has a few scratches in the bottom plate.
3) Is there a way to paint a chrome finished cam black? some sort of tutorial or something?

Thanks!

01-31-2014, 11:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1. Usually all my cameras need is a dry wipe-down or some puffs from a Giottos rocket blower to get rid of dust. If they're a little grimy and need a better cleaning, I spray some glasses lens cleaner on a microfiber wipe and wipe down what needs to be wipped-down. For the yellowish letters, would a Q-tip with a little bit of lens cleaner work, maybe?

2. Haven't done it myself, but check out the discussion here:
---> Database Error

3. Are you talking about your ME? If so, I'm pretty sure the ME/ME Super did come in black... so maybe it'd be easier just to find a black copy. I wouldn't be so daring as to attempt to paint the camera... If you have a junk camera laying around, I'd experiment with that first before attempting to paint your actual camera. If you were to do so, you would probably need to disassemble it, fine sand paper the parts you wanted to paint, and use some sort of good spray paint.
EDIT: Found a discussion on this, here --> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.photo.equipment.35mm/FnP5xbLVVNk
02-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

What you see are the normal signs of wear on a camera, and while it is very difficult to restore the finish, I guess something caan be done.

The simplest way to clean the lettering is with a q-tip (cotonete) soaked in windex or some sort of cleaner. Not very wet though.
Also a baby-toothbrush can be used dry to scrub most of the dirt out.

Getting the chrome repolished is very difficult, and I have never tried it, also painting the camera black is way above my paygrade
02-01-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

SInce the cameras aren't a chromed finish, more an almost rough cast appearance, you can't really polish out scratches.
Well, you can, but the polished finish will be different to the un-touched areas.

As for making it black, from the factory I believe they aren't painted black, I think they are anodised (a thinner finish that won't chip like paint... think of it as being dyed black)

You can anodise at home, but I'd very much recommend against it. The correct dyes are hard to get (apparently you can use fabric dye with good results?)
But the main problem is that it involves large open containers of acid, and electricity, and heat.
So there's a large risk of fire, electrical shorts, fumes, and of course the acid itself.

My theory is that old cameras don't get dirty, they gain patina.

02-01-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I generally use an alcohol (rubbing alcohol...isopropanol) wipe and cotton buds (Q-Tips) on the exterior to remove finger gunge and tobacco film. Glass cleaner (as noted above) is also a good option. Don't get sloppy with the cleaning fluid. You don't want it to go inside the camera. Scratches to the silver finish cannot be removed. A certain amount of "brassing" or scratching is expected on most cameras that have seen any amount of use. This is particularly true of the bottom plate if tripods are part of the camera's history.

It is possible that some of the paint from engraved lettering may dislodge during the cleaning process. If that happens, I have found that a lacquer pen or crayon works well for touch-up afterward. You can also get creative with the colors to enhance its value later on eBay

Regarding black paint...It can be done, but the silver finish must be completely removed down to bare metal. There are online articles that detail the process, though it is my understanding that it is difficult to get a finish that will be truly durable. All metal-body black cameras, even those with anodized finish (rare) will begin to "brass" on the first day of use.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-01-2014 at 01:48 PM.
02-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #6

To get dirt off a P30t (Ebay purchase) I found that white vinegar applied gently with a cloth and rubbed dry removed a lot of filth without causing damage. Lint-free cloth and cotton buds. That was on a plastic finish not metal, and (although vinegar is great for cleaning windows) I kept it well away from the lenses as I don't know what the acid might do to the super multi-coating. I also wouldn't let any liquid or anything abrasive anywhere near the mirror.

The advantage if vinegar is that it is very cheap and effective. I also use it for cleaning copper pans, windows, and my cooker top.
02-06-2014, 04:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tim R Quote
To get dirt off a P30t (Ebay purchase) I found that white vinegar applied gently with a cloth and rubbed dry removed a lot of filth without causing damage.
You can tell people that smell on your fingers is stop bath.

Chris

02-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Vinegar is pretty safe for lenses and most metal surfaces (and keeps mould away!!!)
Just let it evaporate thoroughly

QuoteOriginally posted by Tim R Quote
To get dirt off a P30t (Ebay purchase) I found that white vinegar applied gently with a cloth and rubbed dry removed a lot of filth without causing damage. Lint-free cloth and cotton buds. That was on a plastic finish not metal, and (although vinegar is great for cleaning windows) I kept it well away from the lenses as I don't know what the acid might do to the super multi-coating. I also wouldn't let any liquid or anything abrasive anywhere near the mirror.

The advantage if vinegar is that it is very cheap and effective. I also use it for cleaning copper pans, windows, and my cooker top.