Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2014, 07:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Marks on negatives - what's the casue ?

I have received my very first rolls of B&W films ( yes shooting color for 20+ years) - and I discovered that on the film side ( not emulsion side ) there are odd marks that causes these stains on the scans. What could cause them ? I wanted to know the reason and how to avoid it if I was ever going to try to develop my films myself.

These photos attached are grainy because they are 100% crops from unedited and quickly scanned photos - but you get the idea. Marks like that are here and there - not on all frames but I counted several with spots in vital places - which is pity,.

1)

2)

3)

Any explanation would be appreciated!
Thanks--manntax

02-14-2014, 08:41 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's hard to say. They sort of look like water spots but these scans make it hard to tell. Such things can be usually removed using cleaner fluid and a very soft tissue (for negatives).
02-14-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Get a magnifying glass and look at the negatives. Is there something that is stuck to the negative ( dried on it when it was wet) perhaps. Too sharp of edges for dried on water spots. But with film you need to get a can of air and blow the surface off best you can prior to scanning. And look at with with a some jewelers magnifying hood while doing it. You can always rewash and dry the negatives again if they are in really bad shape as far as dried on dust goes.

Learn to use the spot healing tool in your favorite image editor. It does wonders for things like that. You'll never even know they were there.
02-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
It's hard to say. They sort of look like water spots but these scans make it hard to tell. Such things can be usually removed using cleaner fluid and a very soft tissue (for negatives).
Thanks but they are not water spots for sure. I had few of them as well but they are soft and circular with soft curved edges. And flat - these are sort of residues - perhaps can be cleaned but wont come off with simple blowing or even cotton bud. Looks like sort of flakes or something that got stuck on these negatives during the process. --manntax

---------- Post added 02-14-14 at 03:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Get a magnifying glass and look at the negatives. Is there something that is stuck to the negative ( dried on it when it was wet) perhaps. Too sharp of edges for dried on water spots. But with film you need to get a can of air and blow the surface off best you can prior to scanning. And look at with with a some jewelers magnifying hood while doing it. You can always rewash and dry the negatives again if they are in really bad shape as far as dried on dust goes.

Learn to use the spot healing tool in your favorite image editor. It does wonders for things like that. You'll never even know they were there.
Thanks - I addressed some of your points in my previous answer to the first poster. I looked at the negatives and there is something glued in the place of stain - on the film side so not harming the emulsion. It wont come off with blowing or canned air - even touching with cotton bud wont disturb it. It could be solvable though not sure what is safe to use on the negative. And surely I am using healing brush and cloning tools to get rid of those - nevertheless it is annoying when in vital areas with fine detail.--manntax

02-14-2014, 08:57 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Exhausted fixer sometimes shows up much later on the negatives as a blotchy stain.
02-14-2014, 09:39 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Looks like dander (flakes of skin, either human or animal).

Steve
02-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
It could be solvable though not sure what is safe to use on the negative.
Well, water is the most appropriate thing to use. Simply re-wash the negatives. If you do not have developing tank / reels, you can just simply fill a clean Pyrex baking dish with room temp water and lay the negatives in it for a few minutes. That should be sufficient to release the specs (of whatever it is). Then remove the negative strips and hang to dry (you can softly blot them with a clean, soft cotton towel to avoid water stains).

02-14-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tlong423 Quote
Well, water is the most appropriate thing to use.
...with a dash of Photoflow...

Steve
02-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #9

Piece of cleaning tissue?
02-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Exhausted fixer sometimes shows up much later on the negatives as a blotchy stain.
This remarks means probably more for the guy who developed it than myself - I'll pass it on Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Looks like dander (flakes of skin, either human or animal). Steve
Could be - this will be hard incorporate into an advice for the guy who developed it - but noted for the future reference that wearing a hat might be a good idea during the process

QuoteOriginally posted by tlong423 Quote
Well, water is the most appropriate thing to use. Simply re-wash the negatives. If you do not have developing tank / reels, you can just simply fill a clean Pyrex baking dish with room temp water and lay the negatives in it for a few minutes. That should be sufficient to release the specs (of whatever it is). Then remove the negative strips and hang to dry (you can softly blot them with a clean, soft cotton towel to avoid water stains).
Great ! I had no idea you could do that. the one I have doesn't look too bad so will do with PP but in case of a really bad one I might go this route - thanks !

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...with a dash of Photoflow... Steve
Will google it up :P Thanks !

QuoteOriginally posted by eagle1 Quote
Piece of cleaning tissue?

Thanks again to all for all the tips and info - much appropriated !--manntax
02-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #11
Pentaxian

It seems like dirt, you can rewash your negatives in water for a few minutes, with a few drops of Fotoflo/LFN/ wetting agent
Assuming you are in N America, those are quite easy to find, in Europe I used to buy the Amaloco brand wetting agent which was as effective

You can also use distilled water to minimize the possibility of this happening again
02-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
It seems like dirt, you can rewash your negatives in water for a few minutes, with a few drops of Fotoflo/LFN/ wetting agent
Assuming you are in N America, those are quite easy to find, in Europe I used to buy the Amaloco brand wetting agent which was as effective

You can also use distilled water to minimize the possibility of this happening again
Thanks ! I so much look forward to developing my own negatives one day - this all sounds like so much fun ! --manntax