Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2014, 08:25 AM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been reading up on the 6x7 as it's fascinating that you can get such a high quality camera and lenses for so cheap nowadays (it helps that there is no digital version - that is what makes 645 lenses more expensive).

There's a big thread on the Pentax 67 system over at the rangefinder forums. It's worth the read if you are considering it.

I dream of a 67+105mmf2.4 these days...

06-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnsey Quote
When you do have a few dollars to spend and want to try out LF I'd recommend a classic like the Speed Graphic, they can be had quite reasonably rather than dropping 4-5 times that on a more modern kit.
I'll have to keep that in mind. But... At this point, I'm tempted to expand to MF before, as LF would be less likely to get brought out (With how I currently shoot)
So... As I have all of the 35mm lenses I want (OK, all the ones I need) I think my next major purchase will be a Pentax 67 system and then, after saving a bit, a Speed Graphic.
06-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #108
Veteran Member

Original Poster
After weighing the options and thinking more about how I'd use the camera, I decided to go with the 645 format, rather than the 67 format, simply on the grounds of weight. I would not be inclined to lug around a 67 camera.

So, upon deciding that, I figured I'd put off buying a bit. I'd also need to think about the use: apparently, my sister wants me to shoot her upcoming wedding.
Due to revised thoughts about weight, the three options I was weighing were the Mamiya M645, the Bronica ETRS, and the Pentax 645 series. (Hasselblad wasn't even a consideration due to the high cost... I couldn't justify it.)

What would I "need" from a MF camera?

Well, I decided that the ability to quickly change film mid roll was a must. So, that sadly meant that the Pentax models were out. That left the Mamiya and the Bronica.
That was a tough call. I decided to drop the Bronica for the simple fact that I can, apparently, use the Mamiya lenses on a modern digital MF camera, even with stop down metering. That meant that the lenses could easily be kept without an adapter if I decided to go digital with a new Mamiya or Phase One setup. (if it ever became "affordable")

I plan to eventually get a 67 with the 105mm/2.4, but right now, 645 was the most practical format.

So, I've now got a Mamiya 645 Pro TL, 45mm/2.8, 80mm/2.8, and 150mm/3.5. So far, I'm loving it.
06-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #109
Veteran Member

It's impossible to go wrong with any MF camera, they have their own positives and negatives. I would say for me 3 backs is optimal and gives me the flexibility I need. Most of the time 2 is enough as well.

I still have P67, Rolleiflex 2.8 and Norita 66 on my to buy list, although a lot further in the future.

06-29-2014, 12:11 AM   #110
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
It's impossible to go wrong with any MF camera, they have their own positives and negatives. I would say for me 3 backs is optimal and gives me the flexibility I need. Most of the time 2 is enough as well.

I still have P67, Rolleiflex 2.8 and Norita 66 on my to buy list, although a lot further in the future.
I've been noticing that. It's not like 35mm and all of the consumer oriented formats. There isn't a moment where it's "oh, this camera is a piece of junk," it's more like "Oh, this camera is a piece of junk for what I need/want."

I might have to pick myself up a P67, a TLR, a 4x5... eventually. My wallet can't take so much at one time. So I'm perfectly happy playing with my new camera for right now.

As a side note, the M645 makes my DSLR feel downright tiny.

Last edited by SpartanD63; 06-29-2014 at 12:41 AM.
07-08-2014, 07:44 AM   #111
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
But I don't think it'd be worth fixing the K1000 unless you really like it, because there are many other, more premium Pentax 35mm cameras you could choose from (even if they eventually need to be repaired too). Put the money toward another 35mm camera, or the beginning of your 645 or 67 kit.
I'd second the advice on repairing the K1000. While it is an okay camera, you can do far better with a little careful shopping. For example, I just bought a KX, recently serviced by Eric Hendrickson, recovered in BLUE, and showing only a few scuffs on the base plate. Works perfectly! I happily paid $95.00 to the seller on another forum, including shipping. A happy camper, am I!

Of course, ya gotta like blue....and I do.
07-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #112
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I'd second the advice on repairing the K1000. While it is an okay camera, you can do far better with a little careful shopping. For example, I just bought a KX, recently serviced by Eric Hendrickson, recovered in BLUE, and showing only a few scuffs on the base plate. Works perfectly! I happily paid $95.00 to the seller on another forum, including shipping. A happy camper, am I!

Of course, ya gotta like blue....and I do.
$95? That's little over the cost of a CLA! Lucky! (I might send my KX in to Eric for a CLA...)