Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Your idea of $300 excellent would have to be in the same ballpark as theirs.
I suppose if it has been overhauled, is guaranteed it to be like-new, and has a warranty for a few years, an MX could be worth $300 to me.
Mine came from ebay for $25 each and are 100% functional, though the black one looks pretty rough.
That's what I was thinking, a bit absurd for the black model.

03-09-2014, 04:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you really need a 'field' camera, then I think another LX is the best choice (depending on price), otherwise a K1000 or ME Super would be low risk options. Whilst a KX is better than a K1000, they are harder to find and more complicated - K1000s are more likely to handle the wet/mud better IMHO.
03-09-2014, 05:06 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
If you really need a 'field' camera, then I think another LX is the best choice (depending on price), otherwise a K1000 or ME Super would be low risk options. Whilst a KX is better than a K1000, they are harder to find and more complicated - K1000s are more likely to handle the wet/mud better IMHO.
I don't expect to really mistreat it or have it out in the pouring rain, but something that I don't mind being in a bag and bouncing around in a HMMWV. I'm not planning on using it as a hammer; it just won't be a "studio queen" and will likely see some damp, humid, or dusty conditions being outdoors and the only protection will be a case/bag inside of a military truck. I'll likely end up with a less than gorgeous LX at some point, but I'm expecting most of the ugly examples will need extensive attention from Eric before running film through it. If only there was a way to run something like the MX-1 on the same batteries these film bodies use.
03-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #19

My vote goes to LX. Mine had sticky mirror and still auto expose correctly during film test. After CLA, worked flawlessly and I can say LX is the reason I still shot 35mm film. Add a hand grip, more comfortable than smaller MX or ME.

03-10-2014, 07:51 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Horses for courses...

I sold my Pentax LX and kept the KX bodies. I've accumulated three now.

BTW my Nikonos doesn't miss a beat in conditions that would ruin an LX...

Chris
03-10-2014, 08:06 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The LX at $399 will still need a $300 CLA every ten years - and seals are getting hard to source. A working LX is like an old sports car from an upkeep perspective - great when it's running, but you spend a lot of time in the garage tinklering with it.

FWIW I paid $425 here 2 years ago for an 'Eric-Cla'ed' LX including the leather Everready case in virtually new condition, so $399 sounds about right.
03-12-2014, 11:25 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
And why shouldn't you!

In the manual focus cameras, it's all about the viewfinder. Those with glasses tend to favor eyerelief over viewfinder magnification. If you don't wear glasses then the MX's huge viewfinder is a big plus. In fact it's the biggest full info viewfinder in the smallest full manual SLR body.

The LX is already the smallest fully interchangeable viewfinder system - along with many other fine attributes, but an MX with a pancake lens is quite useful when you want a full manual SLR in a small package.
Hey

wow. this is p0rn. nice combo!

---------- Post added 03-12-2014 at 07:32 PM ----------

This one is an obvious 15 minute autoepose with the LX using Kodak Gold 100.

There is no other camera that can do this. I believe that there is not an external meter that has the single exposure range of the LX.
LesDMess. How did you rig the picture of the watch? Completley dark room?

Regards
Baard-E

03-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is no other camera that can do this.
The original Olympus OM-2 extreme long autoexposure ability is legendary - virtually unlimited.
The only limiting factor is battery capacity.

Chris
03-12-2014, 05:09 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I sold my Pentax LX and kept the KX bodies. I've accumulated three now.
Ditto, I've got 2 and I would not trade them for love or money. As far as I am concerned the KX's are awesome. I'm a major SPII freak. Till I got my KX's I never thought I could be as fond of any K mount camera as I am of those. But I am. The KX is a total keeper, IMHO.
03-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Ditto, I've got 2 and I would not trade them for love or money. As far as I am concerned the KX's are awesome. I'm a major SPII freak. Till I got my KX's I never thought I could be as fond of any K mount camera as I am of those. But I am. The KX is a total keeper, IMHO.
What is it about the KX? Are you as fond of the MX, or do you prefer the K body?
03-12-2014, 06:00 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Expect ANY LX to need a service. If it does not, then great, but it will. I started Pentax with a Spotmatic F, long gone. To me the LX feels great in the hand. There are so many variables with these cameras as to feel, metering, etc. I have the SPII, LX and MX now. The LX in working condition does everything and feels good too--but I like the other two as well. I'll keep the LX for all the reasons it is special, plus how it feels to me. Great camera. I could never afford it when it was current. The glass works with all of them.
03-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
What is it about the KX? Are you as fond of the MX, or do you prefer the K body?
I prefer the KX to the MX for the following reasons:

It's slightly larger and therefore easier to hold.
Controls are spaced further apart and easier to operate.
I also prefer the analog meter display to LEDs.

The LX is nearly as compact as the MX but the controls are easier to operate.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 03-12-2014 at 06:32 PM.
03-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I prefer the KX to the MX for the following reasons:

It's slightly larger and therefore easier to hold.
Controls are spaced further apart and easier to operate.
I also prefer the analog meter display to LEDs.

The LX is nearly as compact as the MX but the controls are easier to operate.

Chris
I had an ugly KX and sold it. I've wanted to get another at some point. I like all three of the LX, KM, and ME Super. I'm guessing the ME Super and MX are similar in size.

Any ideas why the MX's shutter speed dial is consistently reported as tight or requiring more effort to turn? Why was it designed that way?
03-12-2014, 07:27 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The MX's shutter dial is completely mechanical. It is not simply switching between electrical contacts. It is moving machinery around inside that manual typewriter of a camera.
As much as I LIKE the MX, it has always been the "spare tire" to a KX for me. Maybe because I had a K1000 in my youth. M bodies just seem a bit small.

The LX is a whole different animal. I can understand coveting that hardware. If you want one, just get it now while they still exist.
The bill will be ugly, but you only see it once. You get to look at the camera every day.
03-12-2014, 07:39 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
The MX's shutter dial is completely mechanical. It is not simply switching between electrical contacts. It is moving machinery around inside that manual typewriter of a camera.
As much as I LIKE the MX, it has always been the "spare tire" to a KX for me. Maybe because I had a K1000 in my youth. M bodies just seem a bit small.

The LX is a whole different animal. I can understand coveting that hardware. If you want one, just get it now while they still exist.
The bill will be ugly, but you only see it once. You get to look at the camera every day.
I love the LX I have. I have put a few rolls through it before sending to Eric and the results of the LX, 77, and Portra 160 are awesome. Can't wait to get it back, and really glad the estimate was less than a case of craft beer.