Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2014, 12:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

For me, a good film camera is one that's easy to load, easy to shoot, easy to unload and easy to change lenses. It also must be reliable and not require expensive batteries (or not require batteries at all).

By that definition, my KX falls very nicely into that definition.

03-23-2014, 12:05 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
So, I ask, what made Nikon cameras better than Pentax ones in the 1970s?
I don't think they were actually. I've handled a few 70's, 80's Nikons. Some of them are nice but I don't like them nearly as much as I do my Spotties actually. The SP and SPII, remain my favorite camera to date, and yes I have used an SPII to shoot for work. (Lately I'm also fond of the film KX.) I actually gave away a couple of older Nikkor cameras and an EM that someone gave me back when I was first learning. The EM was just an automated toy, not worth my time and the Nikkors just felt like I was toting red bricks. My arms got so tired I couldn't hardly stand it. After a couple of months playing with them I gave them to some kids in a photo class to use. I've thought about getting a later Nikon film body since once or twice. The later F series all manual models have tempted me. I used a couple of them with my one teacher and I kind of liked them but the hefty price tag of Nikon used bodies and lenses always dissuades me. I can't afford to outfit myself with a Nikon body and a few lenses. I would not have the kit I have if I had not gone Pentax. If I had tried this with older Nikon gear I'd have bankrupted myself trying long before I got a kit together. :P
03-23-2014, 11:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used a K1000 with a 50/1.8 for almost 20 years. I eventually bought a flash. What made that camera great was the simplicity. The camera never stood in the way of taking a picture. Line up the needle, focus, shoot, wind. I have never been a pro shooter, but that camera paid for itself a dozen times over just because it was around my neck when someone said "Hey, who has a camera that can go take pictures of this?"
I married a photographer and sold my "student camera". I wore out two Sonys and a Samsung in the 10 years I was married. They took good pictures, but at $200+ each, I missed my Pentax.
My two favorite film bodies today are the KX and the K2. The KX gives me a few options I didn't have on the K1000, but I really don't use them much. The K2 is my slide-film camera for its Automatic mode and easy exposure compensation. I removed the ASA lock - the dial is still difficult to turn. I love that camera.

I have a Canon 70D, a Nikon D7000, a K-50, and now a K-3. They're all "camera-simulators" in my mind. I use the K-50 most of all because of the simplicity. Its my new K1000 simulator.
03-24-2014, 05:52 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many pros in my part of the world used Pentax up to the 90s, and Nikons were considered "better" because they were far more expensive so only a few could afford them.
In the 70s my father was a Pentax (Spotmatic) user, while my uncle was a Nikon (F) user.
From my memories and observations:
- Nikon F had changeable viewfinders
- Pentax was lighter
- Lenses were equivalent
- Both could be hauled up a 20,000 ft (6,000 m) mountain and the pictures fomr both were stunning
- Flash sync was similar
- Bayonet mount made for a quicker lens change
- Nikon spent a lot of money giving the cameras away to journalists (call it publicity)

Just adding a few more gasoline to the fire

03-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From the early 1960's to the late 1980's the Nikon F series had the reputation of being the most comprehensive professional 35mm camera system.
Wide availability of professional services (expedited repair, loaners etc.) was also a major factor in pros choosing Nikon.

Chris
03-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #21
Pentaxian

What made for a good film camera? A fresh roll of Kodachrome.
03-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
What made for a good film camera? A fresh roll of Kodachrome.

Last roll (07) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Last edited by womble; 03-24-2014 at 03:55 PM.
03-24-2014, 07:15 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote

Last roll (07) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
I miss Kodachrome!

Phil.
03-25-2014, 03:14 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I miss Kodachrome!

Phil.
Me too. My film of choice from 1982 to 2010...