Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you buy a new film camera?
Yes 3932.77%
No 5949.58%
Depends on price 2117.65%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Now -- maybe you could design a camera with both film AND a digital sensor. But would there be a big market for it? I think not.
Nikon patents revive the dream of a digital back for film SLRs?: Digital Photography Review

03-15-2014, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What about a film SLR with Live View (Sony A350)
I'd definitely be interested.
03-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #33
Forum Member

Original Poster
Interesting discussion, I'm surprised at how many no's there are. It seems that people are operating under the assumption that there is an infinite supply of used cameras that are in decent enough shape to only need a cleaning and they'll work for another 30 years.

I guess that anyone here that is actually interested in film probably already has several film bodies and only needs to maintain them.
03-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by millsware Quote
Interesting discussion, I'm surprised at how many no's there are. It seems that people are operating under the assumption that there is an infinite supply of used cameras that are in decent enough shape to only need a cleaning and they'll work for another 30 years.
Not quite infinite and not quite 30 years, but more than enough to meet the demand and work for the next twenty.

03-15-2014, 02:24 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Not quite infinite and not quite 30 years, but more than enough to meet the demand and work for the next twenty.
+1 I'll wear out long before my film Pentaxes do.
03-15-2014, 02:28 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I guess that anyone here that is actually interested in film probably already has several film bodies and only needs to maintain them.
Yes, but maintaining the scrapyard isn't my favorite part of the hobby. Brand loyalty and a heavy sack of lenses chained around my neck keep me from crossing the street to look at new cars.
03-15-2014, 02:32 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nparsons13 Quote
+1 I'll wear out long before my film Pentaxes do.
(Too short)

03-15-2014, 03:20 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
they did drop all film SLR models years ago, but there is still demand for the rangefinders.
That’s a good point, what type of film camera. SLR, Rangefinder, 645 or 6x7.
I’d be more inclined to buy a new Pentax 6x7 or Rangefinder, than a SLR.

Unless of course if Pentax released a 40th anniversary KX next year, to celebrate the release of the K-Mount. I’d buy a couple of those for sure.

Phil.
03-15-2014, 05:00 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Up until recently, Pentax still sold medium format film cameras on the home market (Japan). I think it would be cool if they did the LX again or maybe even the MZ-S with updated AF and exposure system. After all, Nikon still makes their flagship film SLR and a few years ago even did a re-release of the S rangefinder.

Steve
03-15-2014, 05:12 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
I voted 'no' only because many of my favorite film types are no longer available. Kodak Ektachrome, how I miss you.

And even if I did like current film formulations better, I would have to purchase mail order and process mail order (unless I build another wet lab; unlikely because I've already sold all that equipment).
03-15-2014, 05:17 PM   #41
Pentaxian

The nice thing about my old film cams is they live forever so I'm set, really.
If I use two rolls a year I'm really pushing it now. Ah the good old days, allocating 30 shots a day on week-long backpacking trips...
03-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
even though I bought a Zeiss Ikon ZM body last year when they were still available (around $1500)
Good work. I sat on the fence on buying the silver version when they were closing them out about a year ago. It was very hard to resist and now they are no more

Steve

---------- Post added 03-15-14 at 05:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Canon and Nikon I believe already offer pro grade film cameras. Anything in between can be found in the used market. Let Pentax focus on something a bit less "dead"
Leica too and and several other makes with "pro" offerings if you consider medium and large format. The thing that is sobering to me is that the number of vintage 35mm bodies in good condition is dwindling. There is a compelling case for a boutique market based on a high-quality, low-feature, serviceable body (say a notch above the current Cosina bargain SLR product) at a moderate prlce point (say about the same as the C/V Bessa rangefinders).

Steve

---------- Post added 03-15-14 at 05:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by shampeon Quote
You can buy MEs and K1000s all day everyday for less than $50.
Less than $50 for a K1000 in decent condition? The going rate is $100 here in Portland from a private seller and $120-$175 from a shop. As for the MEs and ME Supers...yes, they are less than $50, but most are not functional. In a used camera store, the price is about $65-$75.

Of course, that is Portland and Portland is, well, different...*

Steve

* Saw a Spotmatic II in Ex condition in a shop this week for $160, body only...

---------- Post added 03-15-14 at 05:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I would expect that the supply of used 35mm film cameras will evaporate with the deaths of the people who bought them new. Most of the craigslist cameras in my area are being offered by retirees who have moved to digital or are being offered by the heirs of someone who has died.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-15-2014 at 05:58 PM.
03-15-2014, 09:49 PM   #43
Inactive Account

If I were carrying my Spotmatic and I were mugged, I could probably beat the mugger up with the camera and it would still function fine. Not so sure about modern cameras.

And there's a gratifying feeling that I get when using a camera that's nearly twice my age. I don't even really get that with my DSLR.
03-15-2014, 10:40 PM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Less than $50 for a K1000 in decent condition? The going rate is $100 here in Portland from a private seller and $120-$175 from a shop. As for the MEs and ME Supers...yes, they are less than $50, but most are not functional. In a used camera store, the price is about $65-$75.
Definitely. I see a couple BIN K1000s with lens on eBay at this moment for $60. My ME and ME Super were both bought for less than $40 (the ME with an M 50mm 1.7, the Super with a Cosinon Auto 50mm 1.4), in immaculate condition. My K2 was around $80 with lens, and my near perfect Spotmatic F with an SMC Tak 55 f1.8 was $60. I didn't have to dig super hard to find these deals, either.

And Glass Key Photo down the street from me has cameras in the same general price range.

I guess Portland is its own island for good (lots of film processing) and bad (higher prices on gear).
03-15-2014, 10:42 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Given how many people seem to still be using film cameras, and how many repair threads there are, I'm wondering whether Pentax could make any money selling new film cameras.

I'm not even talking about developing a new one, just re-releasing an old design, like the ME, K1000, LX...

Respond whether you would pay for one if it was ~$200 or less, and what model you would like to see.
No, but not because I don't use film. I wouldn't buy one because the Pentax cameras I tend to like and use are much older. I don't like the more recent type of cameras that they made. If I am going to have to settle for a modern plastic body I might as well get another DSLR. When it comes to film cameras I like them more like the Spotties, my KX's, the K1000's that type of camera. Anything from 1980 and before that doesn't look like a plastic box, that's fine but I don't want most of what they were making in the 80's and 90's. They won't go back to making film cameras built like the Spotties I'm sure as it's not very cost effective for them to make them given today's market.

Film is a niche thing now. They can barely sell enough DSLR's. They probably would sell some, but not enough to make it a viable thing. People who are going retro, shooting film, they're going there because they love the classic cameras. There are some film people who are shooting film with a later film camera but not as many. Mostly I see people shooting with K1000's and cameras made before that. I still have one P3. I never touch it. It's not a bad camera but I'm not fond of it. I actually gave it to one of my nieces and she soon gave it back to me in exchange for a K1000. She said she liked the K1000 better. No big surprise to me. I kind of figured she might. I'm probably going to end up donating the P3 to my local college's photo dept so a photography student can have it. I can't sell it. I've tried. Nobody wants it, lol.

Most of the local colleges they've finally gone digital for their photography programs. There is still one specific class that teaches film and film lab at my local college but it's not even given every semester now. Those students are given a list of cameras that are preferred. At the top of the list is the K1000. You're allowed to bring other types of cameras in, but they have to meet certain standards, be older and fully manual, for that class. No fully automated modes, absolutely nothing like the program modes they have on digital cameras. Surprisingly they prefer Pentax for film, where otherwise for the digital classes they're suggesting Nikon, Canon, mostly. The irony of course makes me laugh...

As for the K1000's? I have two now that my niece has the one and from the looks of it they are in decent shape, and seem to work okay, though I have not tested them out extensively for lack of interest. (Too busy with my KX's!) I have listed those puppies several times for less than $75 without a lens, and less than $100 with whatever decent K mount lens I felt I could spare. I have yet to have one nibble on either. I see them listed locally for $100-200 all the time but I don't think anyone is selling them for anything like that if they are selling them at all. I could give the K1000's away if I was so inclined to a local college or thrift but I'm not into giving them away. I'm not nearly as fond of those as I am the KX's but still they're not bodies I can see just parting with for nothing. But they might as well be nothing in terms of value here from what I can see.

Not even the local college kids in the film photo class will pay for one. If they can't get it for free they don't seem to want it. :P I have had collector's offer me a decent if not impressive sum for my SP's and SPII's and of course I've got some people fairly drooling over my black KX's and offering me a hundred or more for those, but the K1000's? Nah. No interest at all from what I can tell.

Last edited by magkelly; 03-15-2014 at 10:52 PM.