Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
99 cents film

Hi Folks.
I am a huge fan of the 99 cents only stores...While at the check out line, I noticed they had color film, 24 exp for .99 I was like, why not? Well, here are some of my images. These are over the course of a month or so. Shot with my Old K1OOO I got on e bay.....I do like the film grain very much and truly it is different than digital. In fact, OK, Don't excommunicate me but in many ways I feel it is better...I am definitely liking the look of film over digital for some things....Gosh, I don't know...I am so confused....EEEKKKK....LOL

Last edited by jgredline; 06-11-2008 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Removed purple sky from first image
04-19-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the last one best. Nicely composed.
04-19-2008, 10:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I fired off a roll of $1.19 film today. It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. They turned out ok for me. Yours look great. I went ahead and picked up another roll. It's a 1/3 the price of Fuji, so a lot more affordable.
04-19-2008, 11:07 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Nice shots. I use 99 cent store film a lot -- especially for testing cameras. Nice film

04-19-2008, 11:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Folks, thanks for the comments. That film seems to work pretty good. I wonder who actually makes it.
04-19-2008, 11:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice shots Javier .

Is this 200 speed ? From the look of them , I would say it is Ferrania . They also sold it under the name of Aristacolor . Your film box should say where it was made in . A safe bet is either Italy or Germany ! But then again thing could change from few months ago
04-20-2008, 03:06 AM   #7
Inactive Account

These are great! I enjoy seeing what film can render in this digital age. Like Mike, I favour the last shot for colour and composition. Once the local race track opens I may pay them a visit too.

Thanks for sharing.

06-10-2008, 06:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just a few more from my last batch of cheap film. I have bought some good fuji stuff now, Can't wait to try it.

06-11-2008, 08:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice shots, Javier. I have no problem with your comments in regard to the performance of film. I have no interest in digital simply because I have not observed any superiority in digital. Digital is decent and convenient, but I do not think it has exceeded the performance of film. Also, the automatic obsolesence and very high cost of digital gear do not attract me.

PS: Many of you have commented on film that costs around $1.00. At Target, a 5-pack of Fuji Superia 200 is $6.49--that is $1.30 per roll. Also, one of the rolls is a "bonus" 36-exposure roll. Many of these 5-packs also have either a 50-cent or $1.00 coupon. How can this be topped? My difficulty is finding 100-speed color print film (of either 24 or 36 exposures). The best deal I have found so far is $5.39 for 36 exposures of Fuji Reala 100 (and that is if I buy 5 rolls). Target does have $.99 rolls of Fuji 100, but they are 12-exposure rolls...tough for economical processing.

Last edited by zx-m; 06-11-2008 at 08:46 AM. Reason: typo
06-11-2008, 09:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
Nice shots, Javier. I have no problem with your comments in regard to the performance of film. I have no interest in digital simply because I have not observed any superiority in digital. Digital is decent and convenient, but I do not think it has exceeded the performance of film. Also, the automatic obsolesence and very high cost of digital gear do not attract me.

PS: Many of you have commented on film that costs around $1.00. At Target, a 5-pack of Fuji Superia 200 is $6.49--that is $1.30 per roll. Also, one of the rolls is a "bonus" 36-exposure roll. Many of these 5-packs also have either a 50-cent or $1.00 coupon. How can this be topped? My difficulty is finding 100-speed color print film (of either 24 or 36 exposures). The best deal I have found so far is $5.39 for 36 exposures of Fuji Reala 100 (and that is if I buy 5 rolls). Target does have $.99 rolls of Fuji 100, but they are 12-exposure rolls...tough for economical processing.
Thanks for the comments. I have been hearing that this film is actually ''scotch'' brand. Don't know, just thought I would throw that out there.
06-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

You are welcome, Javier. I gather that the more you use film--and maximize its potential--the more you will find yourself avoiding your digital gear.

With regard to "cheap" rolls of film, there are certainly plenty of them out there. Again, the only gap I find is with 100-speed color print film (in 24 or 36). I find that 200- and 160-speed films tend to limit me on bright days. On these occasions, which are rather numerous in summer, I would rather use 100-speed, so as to keep well within the sweet spot for aperture (i.e. around f/8), and be able to shoot at speeds above 125 (mainly 250 and 500 with my Spot F).
06-11-2008, 10:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure that you've done quite a bit of post-processing on them. Some of the tones and shades look... unnatural.
06-11-2008, 10:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I'm pretty sure that you've done quite a bit of post-processing on them. Some of the tones and shades look... unnatural.
Well, I am pretty sure your wrong. Which of the images are un-natural to you?

Personally, I am bugged by the purple skies, but that is a result od cheap film, I believe. If I where doing PP work, I would de-saturate them a little and get rid of the purple skies.
06-11-2008, 11:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member

As far as I can tell, I see only one purple sky.

Again, nice shots, Javier...I am glad to see that you are "leaving well enough alone." I do not do any post-production. Perhaps I should say that I could not do any post production work, as I do not have the equipment for it, and I know very little about it. I try to get as close to reality as I could. With proper exposure and good composition, there should be no need for fiddling around--and this is what I mean when I say that one should try to maximize the potential of film. In my view, post-production may create something that is more subjectively satisfying, but, overall, I think it detracts from the realistic effects that are obtainable in film photography.

PS (for Javier): Before I forget...I received my roll back from Specialty Color Services. The results are fantastic. I have used several different labs over the years, and Specialty is simply the best. I will be sending all of my rolls in their direction. I thank you, again, Javier

Last edited by zx-m; 06-12-2008 at 09:48 AM.
06-11-2008, 11:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Well, I am pretty sure your wrong. Which of the images are un-natural to you?

Personally, I am bugged by the purple skies, but that is a result od cheap film, I believe. If I where doing PP work, I would de-saturate them a little and get rid of the purple skies.
The horse looks as if it's made out of plastic, and the entire scenes are extremely contrasty. Most unnatural, at least to me.