Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2014, 12:45 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First 2nd Curtain Sync - History Question

Anyone here know when and what model(s) of Pentax camera & flash were the first to offer 2nd Curtain flash sync feature?

From the info I've found so far, it appears the F series flashes may have been the first with 2nd Curtain sync capability, but in the AF SLR camera database this feature isn't mentioned.

A secondary question would be who (other brand than Pentax?) offered the very first 2nd Curtain flash sync feature for any camera system?

Last edited by BB_Zone28; 03-31-2014 at 01:04 PM.
03-31-2014, 01:23 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Are you looking for such a beast? I would suggest that a good place to start in Pentax-land is the Dimitrov K-mount site:

Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-31-2014 at 01:31 PM.
03-31-2014, 02:07 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are you looking for such a beast? I would suggest that a good place to start in Pentax-land is the Dimitrov K-mount site:

Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page

Steve
I had been looking through his info, but the 2nd Curtain Sync feature isn't referenced in his specifications charts for cameras or flashes.
03-31-2014, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The AF400Ftz had it and the manual mentions that it worked with SFX / SF1.
Manual also mentions that the inbuilt flash on those cameras did not have that function

03-31-2014, 03:39 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
The AF400Ftz had it and the manual mentions that it worked with SFX / SF1.
Manual also mentions that the inbuilt flash on those cameras did not have that function
That helps. I downloaded the AF400Ftz manual. It shows a leading/trailing curtain switch.
So, based on this info for the SF1(1987) & AF400Ftz(1987), we know that 2nd curtain sync was at least available in 1987, if not before, or maybe this is where it all began for Pentax.

---------- Post added 03-31-2014 at 05:08 PM ----------

Regarding 2nd curtain sync, I just found this quote on Wikipedia for the 1986 Canon T-90 & 300TL flash "The T90 became the first mass-market camera to support second-curtain flash, where the flash fires at the end of the exposure, just before the second shutter curtain starts to close."

So, I'm concluding that the following year, 1987, with the release of the SF1 & AF400FTZ was the first Pentax with 2nd curtain sync.
03-31-2014, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BB_Zone28 Quote
So, I'm concluding that the following year, 1987, with the release of the SF1 & AF400FTZ was the first Pentax with 2nd curtain sync.
That is a reasonable assumption. Good to see that you worked it out. You might note that this was and is primarily a flash function though there is a body dependency. The body signals both first and second curtain release to the hot shoe (first curtain to the main pin and second curtain to the digital pin) regardless of the setting for the onboard flash. This is true for modern dSLRs as well as the film cameras that have the digital signal pin on the hot shoe. If the flash supports second curtain sync and the feature is turned on, the second curtain signal is used.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-31-2014 at 07:12 PM.
03-31-2014, 07:12 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You might note that this was and is primarily a flash function though there is a body dependency. The body signals both first and second curtain release to the hot shoe for all exposures regardless of the setting for the onboard flash. This is true for modern dSLRs as well as the film cameras that have the digital signal pin on the hot shoe. If the flash supports second curtain sync, the second curtain signal is used.

Steve
Good point! That's why I listed both the SLR camera model and flash model together in my comments regarding 2nd curtain sync.