Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
leather cases for M series question

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Does anyone know if the cases for the M series are all roughly the same. Finding one specifically for the MX in good shape has been a challenge, but there seems to be quite a few out there for the ME. I'm just wondering if they're the same or much different - maybe I can pick up one to use for the other. My MX case has seen better days.

---------- Post added 04-04-14 at 10:30 AM ----------

I found the answer here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/36961-where-...soft-case.html

Sorry for the clutter - didn't come up in the forum search but found it through a google search on another site.

04-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Good luck since most of the original Pentax cases of that era turned to dust a couple of decades ago. If all you are needing is protection for the camera, this item may be of interest:

Genuine Real Leather Bag Case Cover for Pentax MX Camera Handmade Article | eBay

Steve
04-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Good luck since most of the original Pentax cases of that era turned to dust a couple of decades ago. If all you are needing is protection for the camera, this item may be of interest:

Genuine Real Leather Bag Case Cover for Pentax MX Camera Handmade Article | eBay

Steve
Yes, that's what I'm discovering - there are quite a few good condition and even NOS cases for ME bodies, but nothing out there for an MX. I've looked at that Ebay item a number of times over the past few months but it is quite spendy, particularly since it doesn't have a top cover, which I love for the ease of throwing the MX in a backpack or bag on not worrying much about it. If it had a top I'd likely have bought it already, though I'd certainly prefer black.

---------- Post added 04-05-14 at 09:06 AM ----------

Oh, my mistake - it does come in black. Hmmmm...... Sure would like a top cover.
04-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The ME/MESuper/MG soft cases do not fit the MX (Dimensions HERE). There is a specific MX soft case that is wide enough - approx 4mm wider than the MESuper/MG.

In my observation the supply of NOS MX cases commonly available 7 or 8 years ago is completely exhausted.

04-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The ME/MESuper/MG soft cases do not fit the MX (Dimensions HERE). There is a specific MX soft case that is wide enough - approx 4mm wider than the MESuper/MG.

In my observation the supply of NOS MX cases commonly available 7 or 8 years ago is completely exhausted.
Booo.
04-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Booo.
Sorry to be the messenger. I actually posted in the 2008 thread, too. Cue 'Outer Limits' theme.
04-05-2014, 02:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Sorry to be the messenger. I actually posted in the 2008 thread, too. Cue 'Outer Limits' theme.
I take it your quest was also fruitless.

04-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I take it your quest was also fruitless.
I have an MX in need of CLA that I don't use any more. I checked to make sure I don't have a case laying around in some box - no joy - but checking for things like THIS they're either crap or really expensive. I guess I should send that MX off to Eric.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-05-2014 at 03:20 PM.
04-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah - I've got three. Just sold one this afternoon actually. The remaining chromie is in fine shape (fantastic actually) but the black one has needed a date with Eric for some time - just can't keep myself from reloading the dang thing long enough to box and send it!
04-05-2014, 06:21 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The MX era cases didn't hold up as well as the SV through Spotmatic era cases. I have earlier soft and hard body cases in excellent shape, but every MX case I've found is flaking and cracking like the leather was painted with plastic.
I bought one of the eBay half cases, and it is very nice.
04-05-2014, 09:06 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
but every MX case I've found is flaking and cracking like the leather was painted with plastic.
That is because it is plastic painted on cardboard...real poor quality artificial leather.

Steve
04-06-2014, 06:22 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought an aftermarket eveready case for a Pentax MX from an eBay seller in Korea.
It was brand new, fit well and was of good quality.

Chris
04-10-2014, 10:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Any idea if there exists a good replacement for the Super A/Program? Mine's starting to flak off too..
Wasted my money hunting down originals.. LoL! Luckily i got them for good prices..
04-10-2014, 03:16 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I bought an aftermarket MX case but it didn't fit. Fitted one of my ME Supers a treat though! I eventually found a tatty MX case which protects the camera but looks awful...

Last edited by womble; 04-15-2014 at 11:32 AM. Reason: punctuation
04-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I win points for today I think, I came to the Film SLR forum to post about the MX that just showed up on my doorstep and my first thought on unboxing it was "Oh, its a love child between my Super Program and my K1000."
As in I noticed that the MX is almost identical to the Super Program dimensionally, and fits near perfect in its leather case with my A50mm F1.4 lens on. Even the controls are all still accessible.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 04-15-2014 at 10:32 AM.