Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #1

ME Super shutter lag

Hi everyone,

Recently, I acquired a black ME Super with winder and a bunch of lenses and would like to get some film through it. However, there is a distinct lag between pressing the shutter button and the shutter actually going off. After a few clicks it's almost gone, up to the point where it would at least be usable (but compared to my silver ME Super it still sounds slower). When I leave it for 10 minutes or so the lag is back again.

Is there anything I can do about this myself? Given the second hand value of ME Supers I don't want to have it checked by a pro. Its just that I'd love to have a second ME Super body, since they're featherweights, reasonably silent and have an awesomely big viewfinder. And besides that, black film SLRs are hot

I searched the forums and google, but couldn't find that much about it. Only complaints about the mirror not wanting to come down, instead of up.

04-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A CLA is probably the best way to go, as troubleshooting for these mechanical cameras is very limited. Can't say I've heard of this issue myself.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Without batteries, the ME Super won't fire the shutter any faster than 1/125, maybe the batteries are depleted not really a "lag" but it would feel slower
04-08-2014, 05:26 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lauke_101 Quote
Recently, I acquired a black ME Super with winder and a bunch of lenses and would like to get some film through it. However, there is a distinct lag between pressing the shutter button and the shutter actually going off.
As noted above, a CLA (Clean, Lube, Adjust) may well cure the problem. The tech will also replace the (probably bad) mirror bumper and light seal foams. You can expect the service to be between $60 and $85 USD if it were done here in the U.S. I don't know what the going rate might be in the Netherlands.

Steve

---------- Post added 04-08-14 at 05:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
Without batteries, the ME Super won't fire the shutter any faster than 1/125,
With no batteries, it will only fire in the 1/125x position and B. If in the Auto position, it will not fire at all. Edit: I was wrong.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-08-2014 at 09:48 PM.
04-08-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
With no batteries, it will only fire in the 1/125x position and B. If in the Auto position, it will not fire at all.
My ME Super fires just fine in any position with both batteries in my hand but it's mechanically locked at 1/125 shutter speed, no faster, no slower.

---------- Post added 04-08-14 at 21:21 ----------

And as I'm playing with it right now, with and without batteries, I might be dreaming but it does feel laggy when the batteries are off. Feels like the trigger releases only when fully depressed as opposed to instantly after the half-press with batteries in. But then again, I may be dreaming this
04-08-2014, 07:14 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My ME Super fires just fine in any position with both batteries in my hand but it's mechanically locked at 1/125 shutter speed, no faster, no slower.

---------- Post added 04-08-14 at 21:21 ----------

And as I'm playing with it right now, with and without batteries, I might be dreaming but it does feel laggy when the batteries are off. Feels like the trigger releases only when fully depressed as opposed to instantly after the half-press with batteries in. But then again, I may be dreaming this
Interesting! I had always assumed that it worked that way because of how the mechanical speeds are presented in the manual or maybe because that is how other similar cameras behave. I will have to see if my Super Program works the same way.

Steve
04-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Super Program
lol funny you mention that, Super Program won't fire at all, in any mode with no batteries... I am just done repairing one, taking it appart and cleaning it and putting all the little gears and thingies back together only to find out that the camera would now crank but still not fire. I was so bummed out. And then my mom (I got the Super Program from her years ago) told me that the camera needed batteries. I had assumed it was the same as the ME Super. So I found a couple not totally dead batteries, stuck them in and voila...

04-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

lol funny you mention that, Super Program won't fire at all, in any mode with no batteries... I am just done repairing one, taking it appart and cleaning it and putting all the little gears and thingies back together only to find out that the camera would now crank but still not fire. I was so bummed out. And then my mom (I got the Super Program from her years ago) told me that the camera needed batteries. I had assumed it was the same as the ME Super. So I found a couple not totally dead batteries, stuck them in and voila...
Well! That answers my question!
04-08-2014, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had that problem on an ME Super here. It can not be fixed by the easy access with removing the bottom plate.
Well respected as they are, I would not bother getting an ME Super repaired.

Instead I would look for a good Ricoh KR-5 Super 2 .
This camera is light, small, tough,completely manual. Made late, in 1989, it has more modern materials and lubricants, I suppose. Needs batteries for the 3 LED exp meter, but not for the clockwork vertical run metal shutter
I have owned one for twenty years and I used it a lot, maybe 750000 ff miles and still do.

All these old cameras need exercise , say every 3 months, put every control through all positions a few times and fire the shutter at various speeds.
04-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #10

I had one of those and I concur (agree) with other fellow pentaxians: CLA. By the way, the best thing about those little cameras is that you can load them with your choice of ISO 400 film, mount a 28 mm to 35 mm K, M, F or even FA lens focused to hyper focal distance (8 ft), aperture to f8 and hold it with your left hand in such a way that one of your middle fingers reach the shutter button. Then, raise it to your eye and shoot only with that hand. Practice without film (we used to call it "dry run" [anyone noticed how difficult is to do a 'charge-less run' with a digital camera? ] and you'll be surprised to find how easy is to do 'street photography'.
04-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With no batteries, it will only fire in the 1/125x position and B. If in the Auto position, it will not fire at all.
That means mine is rather odd, because it seems to fire at 1/125 in all positions without batteries. With batteries, all operations are normal. If it has been sitting a while, it needs the advance lever to be wound twice in order to fire. Otherwise it is in general minty condition.
04-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #12

Original Poster
Well, both my ME Supers definitely fire without batteries in them, they just stick to 1/125th (and bulb of course). I don't think I'll bother getting it CLA'd since those costs grossly outweigh the value of the camera. And besides, I still have a few other Pentax 35mm bodies lying around. Too bad, but it's not a big loss.

Thanks for the response everyone! I really like PF a lot because of people like you