Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2008, 09:19 AM   #16

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have an LX, 2 MXs, an ME, MG and MV-1 as well as a K1000. The LX is the hands down winner, the K1000 second. The MX is a fine camera but I have trouble seeing the meter readings in strong light. The K1000 has a very visible needle and the LX is just about perfect in every way. I wish they made a digital back for the LX.

04-22-2008, 09:26 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PZ-1

I will deliberately strey from the fold of older camera lovers and send the discussion into another direction.

While I have a lot of respect for the LX, and it was, at the time, a very advanced camera, and also a pro camera, I would have to disagree that it was the best ever. Best at the time, definitely.

In terms of best ever, I think you need to consider the PZ-1 and PZ-1p.

while not pro cameras, they were far superior in terms of auto focus ability than any of the previous pentax offerings, had a fantastic 1/8000 shutter with 1/250 flash sync, a 3 fps winder, all auto modes imaginable, spot matrix and center weighted metering, full manual, TTL flash, customizable functions, ..... the list is too long to mention.

furthermore, these cameras will use every lens pentax has made, with no reduced performance of the camera over the functions available on the lenses, This includes the FA-J or crippeled K mount lenses, and except for image circle, all the DA lenses (except HSM).

It is really a film version of the K10D, and better in some respects.

I don't discount the MX, (or any m series camera) but it got caught in the craze of pentax to make little cameras. It is too small for many to hold comfortably.
04-22-2008, 02:25 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like my ME Super and *ist.

The *ist is pretty much the film equivalent of my *ist DL, but with a few extra nice features like buttons for selecting AF points. I love using my DA 40mm on it.

The ME Super is just fun to use and the view finder is so much bigger than what I'm used to on my digital bodies.
04-22-2008, 11:30 PM   #19
Pentaxian

YES
the old k--mount lenses can be used but manual focus and exposure is required
there are threads about this in other sub-forums
QuoteOriginally posted by DJey Quote
Wow! Thanks guys..
I actually like the LX, ME Super and the MZ-30 and MZ-50.

Just want to know if the K-mount of LX and ME Super is the same with the K-mount of
the new digital bodies right now ( DSLR's) .. Just want to know if the lenses they'll use can fit
the new ones..

Thanks!

04-23-2008, 02:40 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I will deliberately strey from the fold of older camera lovers and send the discussion into another direction.

While I have a lot of respect for the LX, and it was, at the time, a very advanced camera, and also a pro camera, I would have to disagree that it was the best ever. Best at the time, definitely.

In terms of best ever, I think you need to consider the PZ-1 and PZ-1p.

while not pro cameras, they were far superior in terms of auto focus ability than any of the previous pentax offerings, had a fantastic 1/8000 shutter with 1/250 flash sync, a 3 fps winder, all auto modes imaginable, spot matrix and center weighted metering, full manual, TTL flash, customizable functions, ..... the list is too long to mention.

furthermore, these cameras will use every lens pentax has made, with no reduced performance of the camera over the functions available on the lenses, This includes the FA-J or crippeled K mount lenses, and except for image circle, all the DA lenses (except HSM).

It is really a film version of the K10D, and better in some respects.

I don't discount the MX, (or any m series camera) but it got caught in the craze of pentax to make little cameras. It is too small for many to hold comfortably.
I got a Z1 in around 1992. I used it up until about 3 years ago when I got my first digital *ist DS. The Z1 had Hyper program/twin wheel Av Tv control/hyper manual/loads of adjustable functions. When I got my K10 it was like the Z1 had had a digital make-over !
04-23-2008, 03:41 AM   #21
Inactive Account

For me, as a relative late comer to Pentax during the mid 90's (I was an OM user in the 80's and Edixa in the dark ages before!), it's a toss up between the Z1-p or the MZ-S. The Z1-p was more pro featured, but the MZ-S was a joy to hold and use, so I will come down in favour of that one (I also had other MZ film bodies, MZ-50, MZ-5 and MZ-6).

The latest K20D almost beats them both, but could still do with a quieter/smoother mirror action, plus AF, flash and fps improvements for those that crave them, also a more refined style and build quality, hopefully the anticipated KxD will address these issues. The many small refinements and improvements over the K10D are very significant however, most especially the new sensor, it's a bigger step forward than many realise, just put a really fine lens on and see the difference.
04-23-2008, 08:46 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I got a Z1 in around 1992. I used it up until about 3 years ago when I got my first digital *ist DS. The Z1 had Hyper program/twin wheel Av Tv control/hyper manual/loads of adjustable functions. When I got my K10 it was like the Z1 had had a digital make-over !
I still use my PZ-1 from time to time, and have now developed a user interface problem with it.

Specifically, the controls are so similar and familiar to my *istD and K10D that I have begun looking at the back of the camera for the LCD display of the photo I just shot Too bad life isn't like that.

Now if they came out with a FF sensor plus back for the PZ-1, while.........

04-23-2008, 09:11 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Pentax 6x7
04-23-2008, 10:42 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A vote for KX in top 3

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
This a question that wont be answered with certainty.

The classics from the manual focus era are the k1000, MX and LX with the latter being much sought after.... a real Pentax Pro camera. i cant comment on the autofocus era cameras although I used a Z1 right up until 3 years ago when I went digital.

I still use my MX and so have an afinity towards it. it was the smallest SLR of its time, and is a joy to use. The good news is there are lots of them on ebay.

This is the "bible" website for Pentax afficianados Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page
Boj also asked the question of the Pentax Discussion Mailing List - see the PDML response to the question here - The "Best" Pentax Cameras

My Points: It's impossible to rank best until we define the boundaries of good - and classes of user have distinct boundaries. That being said:
  1. MZ-s
  2. LX
  3. KX - I have never understood why people are so enamored of the K1000 when the KX can do everything the K1000 can do and more (if you want) - and is still completely mechanical. A K1000 is a KX without DOF preview, MLU, self-timer, viewfinder aperture and shutter indication (match-needle metering).
The K1000 was introduced over a year after the KX and K2, it seems as a low-budget afterthought and just a year before the rest of the K-series bodies were discontinued. I have read that the K1000 did not sell very well for a long time, until it began to develop a cult following.

If I could turn back the clock of time I would keep the KX in production in competition with the K1000 and see what happened.

For my use the M-series bodies, including my MESuper and the MX I owned for a few years, have always been too small and finicky for my hands. I like my K10D a lot better since I got the battery grip.
04-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Boj also asked the question of the Pentax Discussion Mailing List - see the PDML response to the question here - The "Best" Pentax Cameras

My Points: It's impossible to rank best until we define the boundaries of good - and classes of user have distinct boundaries. That being said:
  1. MZ-s
  2. LX
  3. KX - I have never understood why people are so enamored of the K1000 when the KX can do everything the K1000 can do and more (if you want) - and is still completely mechanical. A K1000 is a KX without DOF preview, MLU, self-timer, viewfinder aperture and shutter indication (match-needle metering).
The K1000 was introduced over a year after the KX and K2, it seems as a low-budget afterthought and just a year before the rest of the K-series bodies were discontinued. I have read that the K1000 did not sell very well for a long time, until it began to develop a cult following.

If I could turn back the clock of time I would keep the KX in production in competition with the K1000 and see what happened.

For my use the M-series bodies, including my MESuper and the MX I owned for a few years, have always been too small and finicky for my hands. I like my K10D a lot better since I got the battery grip.
I agree with all, except not listing the PZ-1, why the MZ-s over the PZ-1
04-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, before I edited I had the 1st choice as MZ-s / PZ series. No real reason - I just hastily took it out because I have never owned a PZ.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I agree with all, except not listing the PZ-1, why the MZ-s over the PZ-1
04-23-2008, 05:43 PM   #27
Veteran Member

the MZ - 3 gets my vote

Of course, I started my photography journey with the MZ series, so I can't say for the P, M, LX or K series film cameras. I'm sure from the comments here and the high prices they fetch on ebay (well maybe just for the LX series) that they're still highly sought after.

The MZ series are not as vintage/classic, but they're a good blend of modern technology with old school film shooting, before the onset of the DSLR age.

And the MZ-3 (MZ - 5N too) is definitely much more affordable than the MZ-S, and its compact and not at all bad looking.. so there!
04-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #28
Veteran Member

the best film camera that money can buy

Here:

Pentax Gold Limited edition LX

And with a 50/1.2, no less.

04-23-2008, 08:00 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knyghtfall Quote
Here:

Pentax Gold Limited edition LX

And with a 50/1.2, no less.
I love that camera, the ultimate in bling!

Can you just imagine how it feels to focus with that snake skin on the focus ring! Wow.
04-24-2008, 12:05 AM   #30

Original Poster
Wow.. seems like everyone has a differenct choice..
Seems like choose one and you'll still be on the right track! Ahahah