Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Edit: except the OP specifically specified and cheap AF cam, which that is not which renders most of this post of mine irrelevant. Move along.
You got me looking at the MX... How would my experience with that compare to my experience with ME Super, do you think? They seem about the same to me on paper but I noticed that the MX has a higher rating...

05-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
You got me looking at the MX... How would my experience with that compare to my experience with ME Super, do you think? They seem about the same to me on paper but I noticed that the MX has a higher rating...
I take it this question is unrelated to your search for a cheap AF camera, yes?

The MX and ME Super are similar in size, but the handling is completely different. I have never owned an ME Super but I've shot one a number of times over the years. They are geared toward program mode (aperture priority) while the MX is fully manual and mechanical. They both take pictures and both are very well built but in operation it's just a very different "flow" for lack of a better word. I've often thought about picking up a Super ME simply because I often work in aperture priority when using digitals.
05-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I take it this question is unrelated to your search for a cheap AF camera, yes?

The MX and ME Super are similar in size, but the handling is completely different. I have never owned an ME Super but I've shot one a number of times over the years. They are geared toward program mode (aperture priority) while the MX is fully manual and mechanical. They both take pictures and both are very well built but in operation it's just a very different "flow" for lack of a better word. I've often thought about picking up a Super ME simply because I often work in aperture priority when using digitals.
Yes, Just looking at all possibilities. You didn't mention it being any easier/quicker to dial in the focus, which I figured wouldn't be your response. I have a feeling if I was shooting a higher volume of film, I'd get better at my focusing, but I have had some bummer scenarios (shots of the kids that were spoiled by my mis-focusings) with the ME Super. Strange for me that even with the larger viewfinder of the ME Super, I find myself able to manual focus much easier with the K5 than on film, not that that I do it a ton... It might be focus confirmation that I lean on... Although to be fair, I don't think I go it in manual focus very often when doing my kiddo shots. with the K5 either...
05-16-2014, 06:10 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Kid shots are tough to nail manually no matter the camera. You might try a different focusing screen - I can't recall if the ME Super is able to swap them or no but I'm sure someone else can chime in. I'd say I use MF 80% of the time and it truly does simply take practice. On my digital however, the K5 before and now the K3, a focusing screen change made all the difference for me, but that will vary on personal preference.

05-16-2014, 07:49 PM   #20

I thought the OP wanted an AF camera. Why did MX and ME come in? ;D

Anyway, my experience:
Best viewfinder ever: SFX(n) (0.81x)
Best lens compatibility: Z-1, Z-20, MZ-7, MZ-6 (Z-70 does not allow ISO override)
Best hardware compatibility: MZ-7, MZ-6 (they support wireless shutter trigger and the MZ-6 supports P-TTL)

The Z bodies seem to have the least problems. I've never seen anyone complaining of a stuck mirror in a Z body here.
05-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by weijen Quote
I thought the OP wanted an AF camera. Why did MX and ME come in? ;D

Anyway, my experience:
Best viewfinder ever: SFX(n) (0.81x)
Best lens compatibility: Z-1, Z-20, MZ-7, MZ-6 (Z-70 does not allow ISO override)
Best hardware compatibility: MZ-7, MZ-6 (they support wireless shutter trigger and the MZ-6 supports P-TTL)

The Z bodies seem to have the least problems. I've never seen anyone complaining of a stuck mirror in a Z body here.
I've had the stuck mirror problem with a PZ-1

If the OP doesn't need ISO override, the SF7/SF10 can be picked up for next to nothing and is actually a decent camera.

For what they sell for, the ZX-L/MZ-6 is a superb little camera.
05-16-2014, 08:21 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I have an SFX and SF7 - I prefer the SFX which can be picked up quite cheaply.

05-16-2014, 08:48 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

, I'd get better at my focusing, but I have had some bummer scenarios
Having learned on cameras without any focusing aids, I am somewhat puzzled when others have trouble with focus. When my MX was my main camera and I was planning some shooting that day, I would preset my speed and aperture to the expected light conditions, and set my focus to the distance I was expecting to use. An unexpected photo opportunity could be taken advantage of in an instant, even if all parameters weren't perfect.
Try estimating your distances as a confirmation of what is set on the lens. If you can guess the distance of your outstretched arms (6 feet), then you can guess half that or double that. Avoid large apertures if not needed for more depth of focus.
05-16-2014, 09:08 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
different focusing screen
I've flirted with the idea at points in the past for the K5 but have kept putting it off... Wiki says the finder is fixed in the Super... Me thinks I just keep using the Super but also land an AF body...

---------- Post added 05-16-14 at 09:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Having learned on cameras without any focusing aids, I am somewhat puzzled when others have trouble with focus. When my MX was my main camera and I was planning some shooting that day, I would preset my speed and aperture to the expected light conditions, and set my focus to the distance I was expecting to use. An unexpected photo opportunity could be taken advantage of in an instant, even if all parameters weren't perfect.
Try estimating your distances as a confirmation of what is set on the lens. If you can guess the distance of your outstretched arms (6 feet), then you can guess half that or double that. Avoid large apertures if not needed for more depth of focus.
I've done this to some extent and it does help... It seems like I spend a lot of time second guessing myself during the take, while also trying to shoot at wide apertures a lot. I feel a lot of pressure to make every shot count with film, and that pressure is counter productive.. I've gotten better at the manual focusing, but I've only shot a few rolls and it has been feeling like a lot of work. I think I need to burn a few (less expensive than portra) rolls not shooting the kids, to get more comfortable and confident. And yes, I realized when I started shooting film how reliant I was on focus confirmation! Ugh

Thanks everybody for the input!

By the way, the two right now that I've been watching that are coming due this weekend over at goodwill.com (and still at low dollars ) are a ZX-7 and a PZ-10

I sure have noticed how there is an abundance of MZ-50's on the market. Makes me think to avoid...

Last edited by todd; 05-16-2014 at 09:49 PM.
05-16-2014, 11:13 PM   #25

I've flirted with the idea at points in the past for the K5 but have kept putting it off... Wiki says the finder is fixed in the Super... Me thinks I just keep using the Super but also land an AF body...

---------- Post added 05-16-14 at 09:17 PM ----------

I've done this to some extent and it does help... It seems like I spend a lot of time second guessing myself during the take, while also trying to shoot at wide apertures a lot. I feel a lot of pressure to make every shot count with film, and that pressure is counter productive.. I've gotten better at the manual focusing, but I've only shot a few rolls and it has been feeling like a lot of work. I think I need to burn a few (less expensive than portra) rolls not shooting the kids, to get more comfortable and confident. And yes, I realized when I started shooting film how reliant I was on focus confirmation! Ugh

Thanks everybody for the input!

By the way, the two right now that I've been watching that are coming due this weekend over at goodwill.com (and still at low dollars ) are a ZX-7 and a PZ-10

I sure have noticed how there is an abundance of MZ-50's on the market. Makes me think to avoid...
I don't think you could go wrong with the ZX-7. As a photographer that at the time had almost no clue about photography I got some pretty good pictures out of mine.
05-16-2014, 11:44 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you do pick up an MZ or ZX also look out for a cheap FG grip. It will not only make the camera a bit easier to hold but also lets you use Eneloop or similar AA batteries. Much cheaper than the standard CR batteries.
05-17-2014, 12:27 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote

If the OP doesn't need ISO override, the SF7/SF10 can be picked up for next to nothing and is actually a decent camera.

For what they sell for, the ZX-L/MZ-6 is a superb little camera.
The SF bodies has got a very cool built-in AF spotbeam. It projects a pattern when it's dark. So the "crappy no one's bidding even if it's a dollar" SF7 can nail the K-3 anytime at focusing on a blank wall! For its worth, the SFX is the better body. It has 3 program modes that allows more control if you plan to use DA lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Oh.. I thought that was supposed to be a tough camera!

Last edited by weijen; 05-17-2014 at 12:33 AM.
05-17-2014, 01:50 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Another vote here for the SFX, I pretty much learned photography on an SFXn and a Super-A.

The SFX was a great camera, can't remember it ever having a single fault.
05-17-2014, 02:01 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
Another vote here for the SFX, I pretty much learned photography on an SFXn and a Super-A.

The SFX was a great camera, can't remember it ever having a single fault.
The SFX is a very good looking camera. Totally oozing with that 80's boxy retro look. On the other hand, I feel the PZ-1 is the ugliest camera Pentax ever made. It's subjective though. Once you got used to the SFX's viewfinder, you won't want to look through the viewfinder of any other AF cameras. Even the MZ-S viewfinder is dinky compared to this one.
05-17-2014, 07:11 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
+1

That’s the way I shoot most of the time. I’ve never owned/used an AF camera and for me there is no reason to.

Phil.