Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2014, 02:51 AM - 3 Likes   #1

Expensive 2CR5? No problem..

Here's a solution for those expensive 2CR5. In my part of the world, the battery costs more than an old film camera. There's a workaround though..

1. Here's a regular 2CR5

2. You see, a 2CR5 is really just 2 CR123As in series enclosed in a case.

3. Slide in the batteries. Note that if the label is +, then the + side of the battery goes in first. Likewise for the -.

4. Take a piece of aluminum foil and fold it up.

5. Place the foil onto the battery terminals to short them. Then stuff something into the empty space so the batteries have firm contact with the leads. I recommend an eraser.

6. It lives!

I don't have to mention how cheap CR123As are. However, take caution though. The CR123A batteries must be both of the same charge level, otherwise the stronger one will overheat. Overloaded lithium batteries are nasty. Your camera might go Ka-Boom instead of Ka-chak..

05-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice little trick! Why did you not reuse the battery holder as well?
05-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting hack, but I am always hesitant when I see large wads of aluminum foil.
I'd thought of doing something similar when I had a camera that used the 2CR5 battery.
I'm surprised no enterprising Chinese company has offered a reusable 2CR5 adapter.

Chris
05-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sweet!!!
It reminds me of a trick to use LR44s instead of the 6V battery in the Yashicas

05-15-2014, 06:24 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
The 2CR5 case is sealed. To open it you would need to pry it open and spoil it.

I guess there is little demand for 2CR5 bateries these days that's why no one wants to make adapters. Well, you could be that enterprising Chinese company. Just send your CAD design to them ad they'll make it for you And don't foget to print "proudly designed in the USA" on the box
05-16-2014, 03:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Interesting hack, but I am always hesitant when I see large wads of aluminum foil.
I am with you on this one...
Neat trick but I wouldn't risk my camera with that strap of foil - short-circuit would be fatal not only the camera might get burnt but also fire risk. Good temporary solution in the field though.

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by weijen Quote
The 2CR5 case is sealed. To open it you would need to pry it open and spoil it. I guess there is little demand for 2CR5 bateries these days that's why no one wants to make adapters. Well, you could be that enterprising Chinese company. Just send your CAD design to them ad they'll make it for you And don't foget to print "proudly designed in the USA" on the box
I have gone this route something like two years ago - with two Z1p I couldn't stand the prices for 2CR5 batteries - so I reworked some old ones and changed them into adapter for small UltraFire 3V Lithium rechargeable cells. Removing the old cells from the chasing wasn't that difficult - but the difficult part was to solder some springs into the sockets to add some extra tension and therefore make the batteries fit tight. In the end this is what I managed to handicraft :P

Since then I always carry set of those small green rechargeables and pop them into the adapter when I am out shooting and batteries in one of my Z1p goes flat.

>>-manntax-->
05-16-2014, 03:29 AM   #7

Original Poster
Ok, here's an update. The cells can be removed from the case. I used a plier to twist them out. The case is still intact.

Unfortunately not so for the inner contacts. The terminal part is not too bad.

The shorting strip which connects the two batteries is totally damaged. The line in the case is where the strip was.

With some ingenuity, the case can be reused to house the two CR123A. But I think there is no point, since the principle is similar to using an aluminum foil.

---------- Post added 05-16-14 at 03:32 AM ----------

Manntax, I think my post should come before yours. I was typing when you posted..

So how did the rechargeable batteries perform?

Last edited by weijen; 05-16-2014 at 03:35 AM.
05-16-2014, 03:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by weijen Quote
Manntax, I think my post should come before yours. I was typing when you posted.. So how did the rechargeable batteries perform?
They perform fantastically - I don't keep track of how long they actually works but I think it was pretty long - last time I changed them it was 2-3 months ago - but gotta admit that I wasn't shooting much maybe 8 rolls in the period of 6 months - some flash was used too - and mostly AF lenses. But the main point is that I can pop new set of rechargeables any time without worrying about the batteries ever again.

Good luck with your attempt !

>>-manntax-->
05-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #9

I bought one of Lenmar's rechargable R2cr5 battery and charger. It works like a champ, just recharge when needed.

Gary
05-23-2014, 04:23 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just had a look at actual German eBay prices for 2CR5 and CR123A, both for chargeable and non-chargeable versions, and also Chinese no-name products as well as known brands. Right now, there is little difference, except for rechargeable CR123As, which are offered for EUR 1.00 fixed price including shipment from China to Germany.

However, I would hesitate to buy no-name Lithium accus.

For frequent users the best offer would be a charger for Lithium accus plus one set of these. If I want the accus to be a well known brand, for both solutions (1 x 2CR5 / 2 x CR123A) the price for this set would be less than EUR 30.

Last edited by RKKS08; 05-23-2014 at 04:25 AM. Reason: typing