Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2014, 12:00 PM   #1

MX light seals

Hi,

I am hoping someone will be able to answer a question for me.

I recently bought a Pentax MX on ebay, which was described as refurbished, and with new light seals. The seller has sold a number of cameras before and has a 100% positive feedback - so there is reason to give him the benefit of the doubt, I think.

I also don't know much about film cameras. I just thought I'd get one and try shooting film for a bit.

Anyway, I don't want to spend £10 or so just to buy and film, take some test shots, and get them developed, just to see if it is working or not, if I don't need to - if I can tell, for example, if the light seals are in good condition just by looking.

So I watched this video.

This seemed quite clear, giving me an idea what to look for. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be any light seals at all - there is no foam (or similar materials) anywhere in the door - except I small piece about an inch long. So I emailed the seller to ask about this.

The seller replied saying, "the rear door seals are not actually on the door. They are in a groove the door closes onto. The one inch strip just covers the opening to the counter slot in the body"

He also states that the camera is film tested.

Does that sound right, or should the seals be in the door?

Any help would be appreciated.

06-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #2

Original Poster
Perhaps these pictures will help.

Unlike the camera in the video, the metal inside the door is black not silver, but I think it is still possible to see there are no seals in the door.

However, in the other picture, the does seem to be something in the ridges around the body - if that is clear.

Is that how it should look?

It anyone could post a picture of what an MX should look like with good seals, that would be very much appreciated.
Attached Images

06-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
your camera seals look the way they should. One cannot tell from a picture (generally) whether they are good seals, but if they are spongy rather than sticky they probably are. I have an MX in need of seals replacement I could photograph if this response is not sufficient.
06-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your 2nd photo shows the seals in the ridges running horizontally thru the body. The upper seal in the photo shows some discoloration just below the "Asahi Opt Co" stamp. This may or may not be a problem. The seal in the bottom channel appears ok. Also check the foam mirror bumper - it should be fresh & springy (not crumbling or sticky). Judging from your photos, the seals appear ok, but the only way to be sure is to run some film thru the camera.

06-03-2014, 01:08 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks both of you.

That is great. This seems to suggest that I was misled by the youtube video - and certainly reason to give the seller the benefit of the doubt, and now put a film in it and see how it goes.

(Regarding the discolouration, I think this is actually where perhaps a bit of the seal is missing. I think, therefore, the small bit of sealing in the door is a fix to cover this, and what the seller was referring to when he said, "The one inch strip just covers the opening to the counter slot in the body")

As you say, I probably need to try it out now. But this dismisses my worry that it just doesn't have the light seals it should at all.

Thanks a lot.
06-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rob_k20d Quote
I think, therefore, the small bit of sealing in the door is a fix to cover this, and what the seller was referring to when he said, "The one inch strip just covers the opening to the counter slot in the body")
Having replaced light selas on several copies of the MESuper and MX over the years, I think the seller is correct about the film counter opening.
06-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is always a gop in the top seal right under the "CO." where the probe for the frame counter reset goes through the same channel as the seal. Don't try to close that up! It isn't a problem.

06-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #8

Original Poster
Great. Thanks.
06-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
The upper seal in the photo shows some discoloration just below the "Asahi Opt Co" stamp. This may or may not be a problem.
The seller is absolutely correct about the opening for the frame counter reset. It is supposed to be that way and failure to leave that opening is the main cause for that feature to cease working.

Steve
06-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The seller is absolutely correct about the opening for the frame counter reset. It is supposed to be that way and failure to leave that opening is the main cause for that feature to cease working.

Steve
Steve, you're correct - I'd forgotten about the small gap in the seal near the frame counter. I recall it from re-doing the seals on my ME Super awhile back.
06-04-2014, 02:06 AM   #11

Original Poster
That is all really helpful. Thanks.