Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2014, 10:31 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
I wasn't referencing digital when I said that, since I'm not really interested in that any more. I was talking about the dirt cheap MF film cameras.
Copy that! Yes, I have had my head turned already. When I was looking at the MX and Electro 35 GSN to get me back into film I kept having to talk myself out of a nice Yashicamat. It was difficult but I imagine it's inevitable. Considering the increasing prices of good condition 35mm film cameras (most now cost as much used as they did new) maybe waiting to buy a MF camera is taking a risk on spending twice as much later. Clearly film isn't dead.

06-24-2014, 02:14 PM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Copy that! Yes, I have had my head turned already. When I was looking at the MX and Electro 35 GSN to get me back into film I kept having to talk myself out of a nice Yashicamat. It was difficult but I imagine it's inevitable. Considering the increasing prices of good condition 35mm film cameras (most now cost as much used as they did new) maybe waiting to buy a MF camera is taking a risk on spending twice as much later. Clearly film isn't dead.
Yashicamats are nice, my brother-in-law has one, however like almost all other TLR they are gateway cameras to MF slr

As far as the price of film lately I have been shooting X-ray film in my large format camera and a single shot with it on the 4X5 costs about the same as a frame of TriX in 35mm. So tell yourself that as one moves up in format one saves money on film Wished it always worked that way
06-24-2014, 03:47 PM   #48
Veteran Member

I wouldn't call TLRs gateways to an SLR.

TLRs are different, I have a hasselblad, but I also would like a Rolleiflex. Some great things about it are, lighter, smaller, no viewfinder blackout, lighter, can be hand held to 1/15 with steady hands, my blad needs to be shot at 1/125 because of mirror slap, unless it's on tripod and I lock the mirror. Lighter and more portable (again)...

Different tools for different jobs, if all you own is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Well, at the moment I'm looking for the perfect Leica M3...

I should also mention that you will shoot less with MF than you would with 35mm camera. The screen is bigger, you can compose better and you will get more keepers.
I have 3 backs for my hasselblad, in 1 of them I still have an unfinished roll of film Portra 800 from April and there's still 6 photos to take before I get it developed.