Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #1

Winder ME II shoots multiple frames?

Hi guys, I was given a SuperProgram (with lots of accessories, original receipts and boxes!) from an estate. One of the things it came with was a Winder ME II, and its giving me erratic behaviours.
Behaviour: no matter what mode the dial is set to, it will randomly fire/wind multiple times. Even without touching the release button.

What I've done:
- Fitted fresh batteries for body and winder
- Cleaned the terminals on the winder & body, and made sure none of the pins are sticky on the winder (this was a problem with the databack)
- Tried multiple settings on body & winder. Yes it does this in C or S (on the winder), in Auto or X125 (on body or winder), in M or B on the body
- Holding down the trigger with the winder removed from the body it will wind continuously until the buttons released

The plot thickens; if I break the electrical connection between the body & winder, it will shoot single frames fine. Which makes me think there's a fault internally on the body? I'm hoping this is a semi-common occurance in this model and there's a simple fix

The camera itself has very little use, it still has the JC/QC gold stickers on everything, so I dont think its just a case of worn out parts?

07-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the winder properly seated onto your Super Program? The winder will not fit properly unless the removable grip on the front of the camera is removed. Proper function depends on a sure mechanical connection with the film transport mechanism. The grip to remove is visible in this photo:

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-04-2014 at 09:27 AM.
07-04-2014, 12:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

With the winder removed from the camera, and the button held, it should wind endlessly. With the button released, it should stop.
Mode settings on the winder will make no difference here (except for OFF)

When attached to the camera, S should fire a single shot, and wind. C should fire shots until the button is released.

What can occationally happens is that the small lever that triggers the shutter can slip, making the winder think it is still winding on.
You simply remove teh winder from the body, then using a fingernail or something just slip the lever across to the correct side, then reattach to the body. It will likely wind for a few seconds until it clicks back and works fine once more.
Download the manual from the butkus website and have a read, it shows the correct orientation of the lever.

Also note that from memory you must remove the front grip from the Super-program body in order to use winders, the grip fouls the winder and causes it to not mount correctly.
07-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #4

Original Poster
hks_kansei - That finger grip has been removed. The winder reacts as you've stated off camera. On camera it erratically shoots frames regardless of mode and without my finger on the trigger.
I've tried resetting the lever, but will verify the positions in the manuals. The whole lot was boxed and As New.
It did initially work fine, but seemed to develop this issue recently