Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax ME Super shutter and 'winder'- issue

I recently bought a Pentax ME Super as my first ever film slr. Upon inspection the winder arm and shutter seem to have problems.

The shutter appears to be stuck in the open position (see picture) but can be moved to open by pushing the small lever inside of the lens mount to the left of the mirror. When the lever is released the mirror goes up with it and won't stay in the usual position.

The film 'winder' is not jammed as many posts here seem to suggest; it moves freely but I think too freely. There is no friction on the arm and when I removed the bottom cover on the camera and moved the arm, nothing moved in the mechanism at the bottom of the camera.

How can I fix this? Any suggestions welcome!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 600D  Photo 
07-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It looks like the mirror bumper has become sticky and won't release the mirror. It will need to be replaced, as will the light seals probably. My ME super has a sticky bumper as well.

Tim
07-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
It looks like the mirror bumper has become sticky and won't release the mirror. It will need to be replaced, as will the light seals probably. My ME super has a sticky bumper as well.

Tim
Sadly not, the mirror itself moves when the small lever (just to the right of the red dot in the picture) is moved, the mirror moves with it... I think this is due to a broken mechanism somewhere...

Thanks for the reply though.
07-24-2014, 02:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Mike - I had one that did this. I eventually managed to get the mirror to stay down but even then the winder didn't work properly. This particular failure seems to be common with ME Supers. Your best bet - and it is worth it, the little ME Super is a delight to use when it works - is to look for another body in working order, it'll likely cost you much less than the potential repair. Sorry your first film SLR turned out to be a dud. Don't give up, and happy hunting!

Edmund